Hello folks. I just bought an unlocked 8320 from a local reseller ( fastlane wireless ) and i like everything about it EXCEPT - getting the wifi to work.

OK - some info regarding the fone:

- Former AT&T corporate fone. Unlocked ( even though I have an AT&T sim )
    - Phone works fine for calls/SMS
    - I AM able to connect to my home wifi with WEP security but status under "Manage COnnections" Wifi IS checked but with a yellow symbol next to it instead of a check mark
    - Have tried the information found at the ehow site - How to browse internet on Blackberry phone using Wi-Fi without data plan with AT & T - sorry, this forum would not let me post the link because it is my first post - still getting error
    - when trying to use browser, i get: "Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If problem persists, contact your service provider
    - I also had an unlocked T-Mobile phone before replacing it with this one because browser was unavailable on the T-mobile phone

One issue i AM seeing is that this AT&T version of the 8320 does NOT have the "wifi preferred/wifi only/mobile preferred/mobile only" within Mobile Network Options. - Is this significant?

- The ONLY time I AM able to get to any website is when I turn data ON. But this defeats the purpose of using wifi - i end up paying for the very thing I am trying to avoid paying for.

- One more thing: It seems that I am NOT obtaining an IP address even though the screen will say I am connected to my wifi.

I am open to trying anything - including setting this unit on fire if will only work. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
    05-29-10 01:18 AM
    Not sure about your WiFi issue, but AT&T will automatically require a data plan for BlackBerry devices activated after September 2009. So don't be surprised.

AT&T to require smartphone data plans starting September 6th � Boy Genius Report
    05-29-10 06:25 AM
    The ONLY time I AM able to get to any website is when I turn data ON. But this defeats the purpose of using wifi - i end up paying for the very thing I am trying to avoid paying for.

That is the source of your problem, Data must be enabled for Wifi to work with the Hotspot Browser. You are not being charged for data in that situation.

However, Only the Hotspot Browser can use the Wifi connection, everything else must use the AT&T network. T-Mobile, CinBell and a couple other regional carrier customers have an additional layer of support with Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). That does allow everything to use the Wifi connection.

That is also the reason you can not get a Green check mark. That indicates as successful UMA connection.
    05-29-10 11:11 AM
    However, Only the Hotspot Browser can use the Wifi connection, everything else must use the AT&T network. T-Mobile, CinBell and a couple other regional carrier customers have an additional layer of support with Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). That does allow everything to use the Wifi connection.

That is also the reason you can not get a Green check mark. That indicates as successful UMA connection.
    Thank you very much for the information. I will keep an eye on my cel charges just to make sure those skunks at AT&T don't charge me for using wifi.

One more question: I mentioned earlier that I HAD originally bought an unlocked T-Mobile version of the 8320. I liked the way it had the UMA option, being able to use "preferred wifi" etc....the only problem I had with that fone is that its browser was unavailable and had the "service books" issue ( documented on the BB forums ). I can always ask for one without that particular problem. Would you recommend I get the unlocked T-mobile 8320? How much more can I do with it vs. the AT&T version?

Again, I appreciate the help.
    05-30-10 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD