06-08-10 08:42 AM
31 12
tools
    I just came from a 8330 which I had had for well over a year and a half. I figured I would love this new Curve, but each day I have it, I want my old curve back. Here's why:
    The 8530 keyboard is slightly narrower making one handed operation more difficult if not impossible, add thAt to much stiffer key clicks and that is a combination that leads to slower responses and cramped thumbs.

The flash is gone on this model.

The battery life is half of the old curve

The screen is protected by a flimsy thin plastic shell. I see a cracked screen in my future

The trackpad is crooked.

The phone just feels cheap in my hands.

The battery door will not last long, its flimsy at best.

Pros: OS 5 is a nice upgrade and the increased memory is a plus. I do like the snappier performance as well.

I have less than two weeks to take it back. I see a Bold 9650 in my future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 10:53 PM
    I just came from a 8330 which I had had for well over a year and a half. I figured I would love this new Curve, but each day I have it, I want my old curve back. Here's why:
    The 8530 keyboard is slightly narrower making one handed operation more difficult if not impossible, add thAt to much stiffer key clicks and that is a combination that leads to slower responses and cramped thumbs.

The flash is gone on this model.

The battery life is half of the old curve

The screen is protected by a flimsy thin plastic shell. I see a cracked screen in my future

The trackpad is crooked.

The phone just feels cheap in my hands.

The battery door will not last long, its flimsy at best.

Pros: OS 5 is a nice upgrade and the increased memory is a plus. I do like the snappier performance as well.

I have less than two weeks to take it back. I see a Bold 9650 in my future.

Well thanks for stopping by and letting us know that you didn't do one iota of research on the phone before buying. Points 1 (No flash) and 2 (Battery life) are well documented, point 3 is just plain wrong, point 5 is just your opinion, point 6 is also wrong. The only point I see in your post that is even somewhat valid is point 4 as the track pad shouldn't be crooked. There are issues with the phone I agree, but you just sound like a whiner who didn't do his homework and is now crying about it.
    Last edited by kwkid; 06-01-10 at 11:30 PM.
    06-01-10 11:27 PM
    Don't know what's up that last guys ****, but I can empathize with you. Sometimes you don't know how a device will work unless you have a chance to use for the day to day things that you encounter.

I was stoked about the storm 2 after the storm 1 and I ended up switching back. I since moved to a 9700 but I remember feeling like the bold was "it" until the little things started bugging me.

It's all personal opinion and this is a perfect example of why RIM pumps out so many form factors.

I would suggest the 9650 over the curve if you can swing it.
    06-01-10 11:36 PM
    Don't know what's up that last guys ****, but I can empathize with you. Sometimes you don't know how a device will work unless you have a chance to use for the day to day things that you encounter.

I was stoked about the storm 2 after the storm 1 and I ended up switching back. I since moved to a 9700 but I remember feeling like the bold was "it" until the little things started bugging me.

It's all personal opinion and this is a perfect example of why RIM pumps out so many form factors.

I would suggest the 9650 over the curve if you can swing it.
    My problem is with someone who comes on the forum just to complain about the bad choice he/she made. Especially when the issues are well documented and an hour's worth of time would have saved a lot of time and trouble. The forum isn't a complaint line, it is a help line. It is for asking questions and learning about your particular model of BB. There was nothing gained by anyone from his post. I call them the way I see them, you can disagree with that and I have no problem with that, but we don't need posts such as this on the forum in my opinion.

Your point is well taken, a person must be acclimated to the phone and that takes a little time, but as I stated, several points are just plain wrong and others are well documented. The keyboard is a user issue, some people like it, some don't, but that doesn't mean you should come here and whine, as if there is anything we can do to alleviate the issue. You want to sympathize with the OP, go ahead, that's what PM is for, but don't get all sanctimonious about the issue.
    06-01-10 11:50 PM
    I think the point was play with the phone in the store before buying it. Most of that stuff you could realize as a problem or not within 5 seconds of using it.

Also for the people on this board none of that is really going to be news and you aren't asking for opinions, so.... What's the conclusion?
    06-02-10 12:31 AM
    My problem is with someone who comes on the forum just to complain about the bad choice he/she made. Especially when the issues are well documented and an hour's worth of time would have saved a lot of time and trouble. The forum isn't a complaint line, it is a help line. It is for asking questions and learning about your particular model of BB. There was nothing gained by anyone from his post. I call them the way I see them, you can disagree with that and I have no problem with that, but we don't need posts such as this on the forum in my opinion.

Your point is well taken, a person must be acclimated to the phone and that takes a little time, but as I stated, several points are just plain wrong and others are well documented. The keyboard is a user issue, some people like it, some don't, but that doesn't mean you should come here and whine, as if there is anything we can do to alleviate the issue. You want to sympathize with the OP, go ahead, that's what PM is for, but don't get all sanctimonious about the issue.
    I think Kwkid just forgot his meds today

It's fine to come to a discussion board and discuss your opinion. If you think the phone feels cheap and flimsy, you are more than welcome to mention that. Unless Kwkid thinks that this message board should be only for praise or opinions that are the same as his. If someone wants to express their opinion, they should be able to do it. Just because you know about something ahead of time doesn't mean it doesn't bother you. Plus, Kwkid said 'That's just your opinion' as if expressing opinions is totally taboo.

I agree somewhat that the build quality is not as high end as some other BB devices, but this is well known as an entry level device in the Blackberry line.

The Bold 9650 will be better in pretty much every way, so like someone else said, if you can manage to get that, do it.

For me, the biggest problem with the 8530 is the screen. I wish I could have this form factor/keyboard with a higher res screen-- but generally, the Blackberries with the higher-res screen also have the different style of keyboard with no spacing between keys, which I don't like as much.
    06-02-10 03:16 AM
    Get the 9650!
    06-02-10 03:20 AM

I thought the forum is "For DISCUSSION and help surrounding the BlackBerry Curve 8520 and 8530."

So, there's nothing wrong posting this kind of thread here. I think he's just sharing his thoughts about his 8530.

Djgforce, if you're really unhappy with your 8530, you can always return it and go back to your old 8330 or get another phone.
    06-02-10 05:41 AM
    I don't understand all the complaining about battery life. The battery on my 8530 is great. At the end of the day, it is still usually pretty high, even recently as I've started leaving my BT & WiFi radios on. If I turned the device off at night while sleeping, I could easily go 2 days with out a charge. That ain't bad.

06-02-10 06:23 AM
    I use the 8530 simply because it is the only smartphone Virgin Mobile carries. In the past, I have used the 8703e and the 8330, and most recently, the Samsung Moment (android) phone.

I went into 8530 ownership with the very lowest of expectations, based largely on what I had read here about it, and I have to say it has pleasantly surprised me.

Sure, I would love that amazing battery life of the older BB devices, but you pay a price for a tiny device (hey! that rhymes!). My problem with BB in the past was lousy build quality and an OS that was starting to feel creaky like the Palm OS eventually did, but I feel that this is a good device that has, at least in part, addressed some of those concerns.

All in all, I'm happy. Sorry yours didn't work out for you. I suppose I benefited from having only one to choose from.
    06-02-10 07:20 AM
    I thought the forum is "For DISCUSSION and help surrounding the BlackBerry Curve 8520 and 8530."

So, there's nothing wrong posting this kind of thread here. I think he's just sharing his thoughts about his 8530.

Djgforce, if you're really unhappy with your 8530, you can always return it and go back to your old 8330 or get another phone.
    There is a good amount of difference between whining about it and discussing it, as papped pointed, whining accomplishes nothing.

Here is an example of how the same idea was turned into a post that's great material for a discussion:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/cu...curves-477666/

There was another very good one from a few weeks after the 8530 was released, where the poster also states what he dislikes, but he backs it up with comparison and justified info (he also points what he likes, btw) but I can find it right now.
    06-02-10 07:59 AM
    I don't understand all the complaining about battery life. The battery on my 8530 is great. At the end of the day, it is still usually pretty high, even recently as I've started leaving my BT & WiFi radios on. If I turned the device off at night while sleeping, I could easily go 2 days with out a charge. That ain't bad.

It's because a lot of 8530 users are coming from the 8330, which has much slower hardware and no wifi. That and the 8530 battery is pretty small, so for the size it is, the battery life is pretty good.
    06-02-10 01:14 PM
    I just want to add my 2cents in this and it is going to be good. I want to say this is my first blackberry 8530 curve and i love it. I came from the lg trition and don't understand why i did not jump to the BB along time ago. Always had friends who had black berrys and pissed and mounded about them all the time so that turned me off of them. But anyway. I got a new job and i needed to open e-mail attachments while i was away from desk. Trition was a good phone but did not do that.

Well make this story short, i can say this is the best phone i ever had. I have had no problems with it yet and had it for 3 months so far. If i do start having problems with it i can just start posting on crackberry. I would rather learn on here then going to the store. By reading things on here you learn more. I am sure there is a better BB then the curve but this one fits me perfect. FOR NOW !! LOL.
    06-02-10 04:15 PM
    Wow. I'm a whiner? Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Its not like I am a new member here. I rarely post, but am always reading the posts. Now to say I didn't do my research, well that is kind of true. I went in to buy the 9650 and saw the 8530 for free with trade - in. So I went with the free phone. I made a mistake. The 9650 will be mine by the end of the week.

The point of my post was simply to show that the phone just wasn't for me and why.
    06-02-10 06:04 PM
    Suck it up, the 8530 is a good phone..its not "cheap" and its definitely better if not the same as any other bb out there..you might be happy with a RAZR...

06-02-10 06:59 PM
    somebody call the WAAAMBULANCE.....
    06-02-10 07:10 PM
    Get this guy some a whamburger and some french cries..

06-02-10 07:34 PM
    All I can say is go with makes you happy ... I love my curve but hey its not for everyone ...

06-02-10 09:39 PM
    All I can say is go with makes you happy ... I love my curve but hey its not for everyone ...

Take no offense, as I ment none.

But you admited not doing your homework, so no complainig now. I am quite sure the Bold 9650 will cover the based the 8530 didn't. I would consider one, should it go 3G over my carrier's frequencies (which it seems it won't). Even papped couldn't resist it, and he was one sworn defender of the 'Curve 2'.

Guess my new target is the romoured 9700a...
    06-02-10 10:18 PM
    I am not sure if this is the place to ask this question but it seems appropriate enough because it is ultimately about satisfaction with the curve 2 aka gemini.

Here's the question, I am going to get my mom a bb as a bday gift. I was going to get her either a gemini or onyx. I was leaning towards gemini because its cheaper and my mom really don't need the extra features of the gemini. What do u guys think overall? Also is the lack of flash a deal breaker?

06-03-10 10:25 AM
    Suck it up, the 8530 is a good phone..its not "cheap" and its definitely better if not the same as any other bb out there..you might be happy with a RAZR...
    So the entry-level BB isn't cheap(it was free) and is better than the other, higher spec'd devices? Really?
    06-03-10 10:46 AM
    regardless of how "flimsy" you think it might be, mine has survived some pretty bad drops.
    06-03-10 12:11 PM
    So the entry-level BB isn't cheap(it was free) and is better than the other, higher spec'd devices? Really?
    I don't know what he ment by cheap, but when I say 8500s aren't cheap, I refer to bad quality.

Now let's see... What is the difference from the 9700 and the 8530? rocessor, camera and screen. Those things make the phone cheaper (as in less expensive) but it still performs as any other BlackBerry should. I'll go even further and put the 8520 in, since it performs just as well (too bad no 3G like the 8530 but still saves my business-***).

If you are looking for something that works, than the 8530 IS as good as the other devices indeed... Just cheaper. How can that be bad?

Or are you guys in for the 'status'? "Oh look, I got a high-end, very expensive device. Look at me".

Legal desclaimer: Before I am accused of being a ***** who woke up on the wrong side of the bad, let me state that none of these coments are ment as personal and I am in no ways attacking anyone. Whatever I say here is an attempt to reason with some concepts I find faulty.
    06-03-10 02:16 PM
    That's why I don't really get why so many people think people buy 8530/8520's just because they're poor. Such a stupid generalization.

They have different form factors. Even though I like my 9650, it's much heavier and larger than the 8530, which isn't necessarily a bonus for everyone. Also you lose the convenience keys and the headphone jack is in a worse spot than the 8530.

The cdma vs gsm phones always have different chipsets though, so the processors are never going to be equal, even for the equivalent high-end or low-end comparisons.
    06-03-10 02:26 PM
    When I got out of the hospital (open heart surgery) I had to got to a rehab center for awhile. I got there with a 8310 Curve on AT&T only to find out I was in a "dead zone", little to no signal. So I have to switch to Verizon and might as well get a new BB while at it. Going in I was after the Storm
    2 but no working model available to play with. Right next to it was the Curve 8530, $129.99 with a $100.00 rebate.... I take it and grin all the way home!

06-05-10 11:03 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD