Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is my first post. Am I correct that if my Curve shows "uma" in the upper right corner, then I cannnot use UMA to make calls. It appears in the manual that it should be "UMA". I have tried at home and at a starbucks T-mobilehotspot, but get "uma" in both places. I do have a hotspot plan.

If this is true, what can I do to trouble shoot the problem?
    01-01-08 02:43 PM
    Yes, it should. Have you tried popping out the battery and reinserting it?

Additionally, do you have a BB data plan with TMobile? Your profile says 8120 and Vodafone.
    01-01-08 03:32 PM
    I have removed and reinserted battery.

Pardon my error, I have a t mobile Curve, 8320.

I do not have a data plan. Is this required for UMA?

Thx
    01-01-08 04:19 PM
    It's not required for uma but is required for BB data over uma (UMA.)

Basically, you need a data plan to get upper case UMA.
    01-01-08 04:20 PM
    You've confused me. I have a data plan (19.99 BB unlimited add-on) with tmobile and I am able to make calls over "uma." I do not have the hotspot service so it counts against my plan minutes. Additionally, sometimes it will be "UMA." Same goes for my "EDGE" and "edge." Right now I'm "edge" but other times I'm "EDGE." What does all this mean?
    01-02-08 03:04 PM
    It's not required for uma but is required for BB data over uma (UMA.)

Basically, you need a data plan to get upper case UMA.
    I have signed up for Tmobile Unlimited Internet and now I get UMA insstead of uma.

I'm curious what the little red symbols to the right of the UMA letters mean. Are they like signal bars?
    01-02-08 03:17 PM
    The red lines appearing to the right of the "uma" or "UMA" are signal bars. The stronger the Wi-Fi signal the more bars.
    01-02-08 03:48 PM
    How about THIS problem though...

I cannot even effing connect to the wi-fi bc it tells me that my WEP password must be 10 or 26 hexacdimal digits, or 5 or 13 characters...

I changed my wifi password on my computer so that it would fit what the phone was asking and I still get the error.

Any ideas?
    06-25-08 02:34 AM
    Yea, start your own thread, instead of hijacking another.
    Read this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/
    06-25-08 02:40 AM
    Basically, whenever its capitalized letters such as UMA or EDGE, you have the internet plan with your wireless carrier. If its lowercased uma or edge, you dont have the internet plan with your company.

With the wireless router issue, try to change your settings instead of using WEP, try other settings. I had this issue as well so I changed the settings and played with it. It now works perfectly.
    08-11-09 02:17 PM
    You've confused me. I have a data plan (19.99 BB unlimited add-on) with tmobile and I am able to make calls over "uma." I do not have the hotspot service so it counts against my plan minutes. Additionally, sometimes it will be "UMA." Same goes for my "EDGE" and "edge." Right now I'm "edge" but other times I'm "EDGE." What does all this mean?
    Take a look here to see what the differences are.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/und...ma-etc-255167/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD