For the folks that use uma at home or any wifi, i have a question for you. The wifi that you're connected to, to use uma, what is the connection speed?

I haven't been back to my house where i live during the fall and spring semester but i'm at home at my parent's house. They have 1.5 mbs and uma doesn't work too good for me. Is it the internet connection?

When i'm using uma during a phone call, the caller can hear me fine but when i hear the caller, its like a robotic sound.

I want to eliminate as many factors as i can before calling tech. support and i don't want them to tell me that huge factor is internet connection.

Sorry if its been answered before.
    08-02-09 12:28 PM
    i have hooked up to many different hotspots and have had no problems what so ever. I am not sure of the connection speed but i do know that there is a range.. If you are on the brink of being out of range while on that hotspot you will drop calls.

Also do a test with the mobile connection turned off while UMA is left on. That may be the problem. The regular phone service (Tmobile) may be taking over the signal becuase the service is stronger than your connection to the WIFI signal.

Try that.
    Last edited by Spydaz; 08-02-09 at 12:41 PM.
    08-02-09 12:35 PM
    i have hooked up to many different hotspots and have had no problems what so ever. I am not sure of the connection speed but i do know that there is a range.. If you are on the brink of being out of range while on that hotspot you will drop calls.

Also do a test with the mobile connection turned off while UMA is left on. That may be the problem. The regular server (Tmobile) may be taking over the signal becuase the service is stronger than your connection to the WIFI signal.

Try that.
    Is there a way of turning UMA off?
    08-02-09 12:37 PM
    Yes, go to the "Manage Connections" icon in your menu (looks like a small antenna with waves emitting from it) Click on that and then a pop up menu woth show. you will have 3 choices for connections that have abox that you can check or unchcek depending what you want active which are:

1st Mobile Network
    2nd WiFi
    3rd Bluetooth

To activate or deactivate a connection highlight it by scrolling down or up with your trackball in the menu and then when highlighted click the trackball and then it will activate/deactive that current connection.

If there is a check in the box then the Connection is active. If the Network Connection & Wifi (UMA) is on, you will see in green what network or wifi connection you are currently on. If the box in not checked then your not connected to any Wifi hotspot and should not have any WiFi/UMA connection at all.
    08-02-09 12:49 PM
    I also have issues with UMA when kids (4) are hogging up all bandwith. When they are not streaming videos, than all is fine!
    08-02-09 12:55 PM
    I've used UMA with a DSL line (1.5Mbps down, 256Kbps up), and it seemed to work okay so long as the computers weren't abusing the network, and so long as I was in good range of the access point.

I've also tried UMA with a 'lite' cable connection (512Kbps down, 128Kbps up), and it worked so long as there was no other network activity.

At home on cable (5+Mbps down, 512kbps up), it works great when I'm within range of the access point. If I go to the other side of the house, the connection starts trying to go back to EDGE and can break up for a bit.

Realistically, unless you have a talkspot plan, there's no real advantage to being on UMA other than more range. So I set the data services connection to "Mobile Network Preferred" so that it stays on EDGE when it can and only reverts to UMA when I'm in the basement.

Options --> Mobile Network --> Connection Preference: Mobile Network Preferred.
    08-02-09 01:42 PM
    Thanks everybody for the quick responses.

I will try turning off my mobile network and try the uma alone and see if it helps.

I don't have the hotspot calling but i have low signal strength where i live at and if i can use uma to receive and send calls then it'll be a plus.
    08-02-09 02:04 PM
    For the folks that use uma at home or any wifi, i have a question for you. The wifi that you're connected to, to use uma, what is the connection speed?

I haven't been back to my house where i live during the fall and spring semester but i'm at home at my parent's house. They have 1.5 mbs and uma doesn't work too good for me. Is it the internet connection?

When i'm using uma during a phone call, the caller can hear me fine but when i hear the caller, its like a robotic sound.

I want to eliminate as many factors as i can before calling tech. support and i don't want them to tell me that huge factor is internet connection.

Sorry if its been answered before.
    I to have been experiencing the problem of frequently dropped connections and the robotic sound issue. I am in the UK with Orange and have been informed by their technical that for a stable and optimum UMA signal its needs an internet connection in excess of 3MB. I have to say that I have found this to be the case. My connection speeds hit 6MB during the day and I have no UMA issues however during the evening my lines speeds drop below 3MB and go as low as 1MG with the result being very poor UMA calling and the robotic voices.
    08-02-09 02:21 PM
    If your having issues with UMA calling your broadband connection may not be the problem. UMA quality is greatly affected by the router. Think of all the data traveling through the router as having to pass through a 4 way intersection and every one waits for a turn to pass through. If UMA is the only one on the road then it runs the stop sign, if two or more converge on the intersection at the same time they take turns.
    When using UMA the router should be configured to give UMA the right of way so it will not have to wait in line. This setting is called QOS, hopefully your router support this setting.
    08-02-09 03:09 PM
    If your having issues with UMA calling your broadband connection may not be the problem. UMA quality is greatly affected by the router. Think of all the data traveling through the router as having to pass through a 4 way intersection and every one waits for a turn to pass through. If UMA is the only one on the road then it runs the stop sign, if two or more converge on the intersection at the same time they take turns.
    When using UMA the router should be configured to give UMA the right of way so it will not have to wait in line. This setting is called QOS, hopefully your router support this setting.
    Good info....
    08-02-09 03:39 PM
    I have 20meg here an works fine even if iam downloads things, i manage to get 2meg download off my 8900 as well
    08-02-09 03:40 PM
    You don't need to turn UMA off, just follow the UMA Guide link in my signature to configure your router for UMA to work properly.
    08-02-09 06:32 PM
    In short though, YES, your connection speed will affect the quality of your UMA calls. If you're on a call and using your internet at the same time; you will notice a difference. You can however configure your router to give your BB priority on the network. Aristile and I have a link in our sig to UMA setup to help you.
    08-02-09 06:39 PM
    I will add that setting up properly is the critical step. Half the time my internet connection is between 1.5 and 3 down and half that up. Never have any trouble aside from an occasional dropped call here and there - and that includes a notebook almost always online and TMo's hotspot Voip phone service that I use to replace my land line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD