Is UMA "all that"? If you have it or have used it, how do you like it? ..just curious
    08-01-09 03:55 AM
    I almost never use it except at a few friends houses where TMo coverage is choppy to non existent and I love it for that. Otherwise, if I had the $10 unlimited hotspot, I would rock it all day. Probably cut my minutes down by half.
    08-01-09 04:03 AM
    I LOVE IT

I have zero reception in my place but with UMA I now have reception all the time.

Also, using it to make calls is great because it doesn't come off my package minutes, so in essence I just make free calls.

I have it set up at a few friends places as well.
    08-01-09 06:10 AM
    its all that and a bag of chips
    08-01-09 06:17 AM
    its all that and a bag of chips
    Dang. If it was as good as french fries, I would TOTALLY swap carriers.
    08-01-09 06:22 AM
    Dang. If it was as good as french fries, I would TOTALLY swap carriers.
    Chips in the UK are french fries
    08-01-09 06:39 AM
    Chips in the UK are french fries
    AWWWWWWW SNAP!
    08-01-09 08:15 AM
    Using it right now. I don't get good reception in my house so its a really big plus.
    08-01-09 08:42 AM
    T-Mo's coverage inside buildings is crappy due to its frequency.

UMA is a quick and easy situation to this prob. Plus I think the voice quality is much better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 08:57 AM
    I can't tell you all the technical stuff about it, but personally I'll tell you that:

I have an unlimited data plan, but SHARE minutes with my kids. When I'm at home (or anywhere with a Wi-Fi signal) I can talk on my phone for as long as I want and those minutes don't count towards my plan. I save a LOT of money getting the lowest minute plan (700 between 3 people) because my kids mostly text and I only have long conversations on my phone when I'm using UMA.

Hope that helps...
    08-01-09 09:02 AM
    Which UMA do most folks use?
    08-01-09 09:29 AM
    I too don't have good coverage at my house, infact I don't even pick up a T-Mobile tower(I pick up Unicel) but when I am at home I know that by the time I get inside, kiss the girl, and go to put my phone in its skin, I have already picked up my router and have full service where I normally would bounce from 0-2 bars.

Fun fact for you.

85% of all cellphone calls are made within the home and I don't know that number but a lot of households have broadband internet in them
    08-01-09 09:31 AM
    I think UMA is great, I have it set up at my apt, my work place, even at my favorite restaurants and friends places so I can get good signal all the time

08-01-09 09:34 AM
    LOL!!!... I guess if you don't have it you don't know... it's great when I'm in the middle of our office building and have maybe one bar... have you ever had that broken conversation where you are talking to someone on your phone and things break up... don't have that issue with UMA on at work anymore.
    08-01-09 09:42 AM
    Forgive my stupidity but what is UMA?
    08-01-09 09:46 AM
    Is UMA "all that"? If you have it or have used it, how do you like it? ..just curious
    Better than an ice cream sundae! I use UMA everywhere. Offices, shopping centres, coffee shops, grocery stores. UMA is simply amazing. And total kudos to T-Mobile for bringing this to their customers!

08-01-09 10:02 AM
    When I had t-mobile I used UMA inside my house b/c I was getting SOS (no signal) at all, after I connected to my at&t wi-fi router, the phone automatically connected to UMA mode everytime I would come inside the house, provided that I kept my wi-fi on. It is great I must say. With at&t now I don't get UMA, b/c I think at&t doesn't support the technology eventhough the BB 8900 does it built-in.
    08-01-09 10:08 AM
    UMA is the best thing to have!!!
    08-01-09 10:13 AM
    Forgive my stupidity but what is UMA?
    It stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access.

Unlicensed refers to the use of the general 2.4 GHz radio spectrum, shared with portable phones, Wifi, Bluetooth and most wireless devices around the home.

In practice, it provides a second pathway for your voice and data.

UMA Technology : Overview
    08-01-09 10:31 AM
    Yup.

It's all that. Mostly.

I have two Blackberrys - an 8120 on Orange UK, which does UMA, and my beloved 8900 which is on O2 and doesn't.

I have no Orange signal here, so the UMA provides signal - which is mostly OK, but has its moments - to be honest, voice quality suffers sometimes, but that's probably my ISP rather than Orange.

The 8900, or rather O2 doesn't do UMA, which I was disappointed about, but I have a fair O2 signal here, so not the end of the world.

I would rather have UMA than not though - the benefits well outweigh not having it.
    08-01-09 10:41 AM
    UMA is a feature no blackberry should be without.

I have a crappy T-Mobile signal in my apartment. I usually get one bar, or SOS.

Solution: Turn on the wifi, it connects to my wireless router, and viola! I now have a perfect signal anywhere in my apartment. Most people think I'm on a land line phone the connection is so good.
    08-01-09 10:51 AM
    I have no Orange signal here, so the UMA provides signal - which is mostly OK, but has its moments - to be honest, voice quality suffers sometimes, but that's probably my ISP rather than Orange.
    UMA quality is greatly affected by the router. Think of all the data traveling through the router as having to pass through a 4 way intersection and every one waits for a turn to pass through. If UMA is the only one on the road then it runs the stop sign, if two or more converge on the intersection at the same time they take turns.
    When using UMA the router should be configured to give UMA the right of way so it will not have to wait in line. This setting is called QOS, hopefully your router support this.

Sorry to go off topic!
    08-01-09 11:39 AM
    UMA is a god feature to have if you travel oversea alot. All calls to "home" count as a local call instead of long distance when using UMA from a local hotspot
    08-01-09 11:54 AM
    Even though my house has great tmo coverage, I always have wifi on for the faster data speeds.

UMA is most important when I'm at my friends house where there is no tmo coverage. Just turn on wifi and you pretty much have perfect coverage within wifi range.

08-01-09 12:23 PM
    All I know is Tmobile UMA ROCKS

I went from 1500 shared minutes a month(using almost them all) between 3 phones... down to only using about 200 whenever minutes a month including my 2 teenagers sucking up minutes

For this alone it's worth every penny!.

As far as reception it's about the same . i will however say it gives my daughter great reception at college where there is no EDGE... but WIFI when inside
    08-01-09 12:49 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD