The guys at sprint told my sister that her old razor charger would work with her curve. Is this true because I would think that since it is a dif phone maker that it could be harmful to the phone. Has anyone else been told this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 02:05 PM
    I use a motorola charger at work, its fine
    08-07-08 02:07 PM
    u can use any charger that has a usb that fits in the curve and it will work
    08-07-08 02:18 PM
    The only time I see a charger not working is the Generic car chargers do not work with the curve *my family has 2 generic razr ones that do not charge the curve, pearl or even the v3xx*! So for car chargers I recommend the OEM one and you can get them dirt cheap off of Ebay!

Charlie
    08-07-08 02:23 PM
    They speak the truth
    08-07-08 02:27 PM
    Thanks I wanted to double check before I steal one of her many that she has!!

08-07-08 02:43 PM
    Don't worry Be Happy!!!
    =8')
    Good to know because I have several old Motorola chargers around. Plus agizzilion usb cords.
    =8') Crack On!
    08-07-08 02:52 PM
    DITTO
    08-07-08 03:15 PM
    I've used my old razr charger also...I also used my cousin's sidekick charger too.
    08-07-08 03:17 PM
    Man oh man, wish I would have read this this thread a few days ago. I purchased a bundle from E-Bay which includes a generic car and travel charger, so they won't work?

Thanks
    08-07-08 04:12 PM
    Someone told me diff chargers transmit different amps or voltages and can fry the phone... Is this true?? I'd love to pick upa charger at Big Lots or someplace like that!

08-07-08 04:13 PM
    Man oh man, wish I would have read this this thread a few days ago. I purchased a bundle from E-Bay which includes a generic car and travel charger, so they won't work?

Thanks
    They might but in my experience OEM is the best way to go. I personally use a usb cable *oem since I had a spare* at work, OEM charger in my car and a generic usb cable at home! I hardly use my regular charger. My girlfriends v3m car charger worked on my 8300 and my parents generic for the v3 did not work at all on my 8300 or 8310 and would not work on my moms old v3xx! But would work on the v9 when I had it! But I bought an OEM car charger for 10 shipped off of ebay!

Charlie
    08-07-08 05:01 PM
    I use my BB charger at work and my motorola charger when I am home and have never had a single problem.
    08-07-08 05:41 PM
    THe best charger for your BlackBerry is the genuine BlackBerry wall charger. It was designed to charge BlackBerrys. Nothing else is as good.

Motorola chargers seems to do a good job too.

I have about a dozen generic USB chargers her and some charge my two Blackberrys and somem do not.

As to generic car chargers, again, some work and some do not.

It is he same with USB ports on PCs. Some work, some do not when you connect a Blackberry to one for charging. Thi shas NOTHING to do with drivers it is 100% hardware.

Over the months there have been several threads on this subject and they have all concluded the same. If you want fastest charging with best battery life, use the ioriginal BlackBerry charger that came wih your phone.

People have said that all USB chargers are equal. Well, the BlackBerry charger is simply more equal.
    08-07-08 06:39 PM
    I noticed when I plugged my old v3 charger in 8330, it charged but way to quickly. Then the battery died quicker also. If u look at your bb charger it will give u the output and input. Try to find a charger to match that. That's all that matters when charging. I always stick with oem. Its the only way to go.

09-17-08 11:35 PM
    They are all the same mini usb 5 pin connectors. ****, I charge my curve with the charge cables from my ps3 when I play.

09-18-08 12:01 AM
    my curve hates moto chargers. It will turn its self off seconds after plugging it in. At work I have an oem rim and an oem moto. In the car oem rim and at home plenty of each
    09-18-08 01:24 AM
    Hmmm, I was told that other (Razr) chargers would damage a BB because of the voltage difference.

09-18-08 02:38 AM
    I use a wall charger for a Moto BT earpiece daily with my 8330 and no ill effects. Charge with that at my office and my BB charger at my house.
    09-18-08 07:56 AM
    I noticed when I plugged my old v3 charger in 8330, it charged but way to quickly. Then the battery died quicker also. If u look at your bb charger it will give u the output and input. Try to find a charger to match that. That's all that matters when charging. I always stick with oem. Its the only way to go.

You learned the lesson of "just because a USB plug charger will work does not mean it is a good idea to rely on it for primary charging of your BB". It is important to match the voltage and amperage of your battery. Your BB probably charged faster, because the MOTO charger has a higher amperage (measure of electrical current or flow). But, higher amperage will overheat the battery and shorten it's life. A voltage mismatch such as a lower voltage than the battery will cause faster batter discharge.

Short term infrequent use of non BB chargers (such as a car charger) probably won't have a real impact on the battery, it is best to rely on the BB charge for primary charging.

Also note that an examination of the USB connector on the BB charger and BB supplied USB cable is longer than a standard USB mini connector. Not sure the of the significance of this, but I doubt RIM made them this way just for the he!! of it.

Edit:

I have also noted that high use of my Curve while attached to a PC by USB results in battery heat generation. I noticed this while using my Curve as modem for a couple of hours. I had to take of my silicone glove and prop it up on something to help dissipate the heat. My conclusion was that the BB was pulling greater amps through USB and was causing the battery to heat up.
    Last edited by wnm; 09-18-08 at 08:09 AM.
    09-18-08 08:07 AM
    I tried to use my UBS charger from my TomTom and a genetic USB connected to my laptop and they both would not charge my Curve. I also had a dual USB charger were you can switch the imput from car to plugin and use the OEM cable and it would not work.

Looks like I need to buy a OEM car charger.

Dan
    09-21-08 12:41 PM
    Your phone heated up because it was constantly communicating (as a modem). This is perfectly normal and won't do any damage (presuming we trust the design of the phone)

A good quality charger of the same specification will be fine. A cheap ebay type generic car charger is not good for almost any phone as the quality of the components may allow for power spikes, etc.

As for pc usb cables, they most definitely are all equal. Period.

And wall chargers, always stick with OEM. The risk of fire alone from a crappy ebay charger makes me shudder. Let alone what a mains voltage surge or similar would do to your berry!

09-21-08 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD