All,

I have a few quick questions for a refresher on how best to use the phone while traveling. I have read several posts regarding the usage of UMA and am still a bit confused with regards to not incurring extra roaming data charges. I am a T-mobile USA customer and am using the BB 8900 running .231. I have the unlimited loyalty plan and just requested the 19.99 int'l email to be added.

Now, while using the UMA with a wifi connection overseas-- do I need to turn the data connections off? Or the Network connection off (ie Tmobile or whatever carrier I'm using) and just leave the wifi active so as not to have a weak wifi signal and slip back onto the cell network?

With the 19.99 email data plan-- Do you think it is worth it for my personal email? I will be gone for around a month and a half and could just use a wifi connection I guess? Right?

Also, the T-Mobile rep said that she thought that with the 19.99 plan, I could probably get away with using Gtalk as well with out having extra roaming data charges as it uses pretty small amounts of data. Can anyone verify this?

What is the deal with Stand-by mode (locking the device and pressing the top-right mute key)? Do you actually use this function and when?

I also just purchased the desktop charging stand and have not been able to figure out how to have the clock only displayed-- the keypad stays lit up. I enter the device into bedside mode (all options are 'no' for disable LED, Radio, and Screen) and it after a bit then it just goes into bedside mode where the whole phone dims out. If I don't put it in bedside mode while sitting in the stand then the keypad and screen stay lit.

Last question-- BBM- will that will work without roaming charges while using my T-Mobile USA sim abroad as I have read on here? What about if I put in a local sim, can I still use BBM? UMA? Items that use data like WeatherBug elite, should be disabled prior to departure to not incur roaming data correct?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and travel advice,

Ishta
    08-11-09 11:18 PM
    All,

I have a few quick questions for a refresher on how best to use the phone while traveling. I have read several posts regarding the usage of UMA and am still a bit confused with regards to not incurring extra roaming data charges. I am a T-mobile USA customer and am using the BB 8900 running .231. I have the unlimited loyalty plan and just requested the 19.99 int'l email to be added.

Now, while using the UMA with a wifi connection overseas-- do I need to turn the data connections off? Or the Network connection off (ie Tmobile or whatever carrier I'm using) and just leave the wifi active so as not to have a weak wifi signal and slip back onto the cell network?

With the 19.99 email data plan-- Do you think it is worth it for my personal email? I will be gone for around a month and a half and could just use a wifi connection I guess? Right?

Also, the T-Mobile rep said that she thought that with the 19.99 plan, I could probably get away with using Gtalk as well with out having extra roaming data charges as it uses pretty small amounts of data. Can anyone verify this?

What is the deal with Stand-by mode (locking the device and pressing the top-right mute key)? Do you actually use this function and when?

I also just purchased the desktop charging stand and have not been able to figure out how to have the clock only displayed-- the keypad stays lit up. I enter the device into bedside mode (all options are 'no' for disable LED, Radio, and Screen) and it after a bit then it just goes into bedside mode where the whole phone dims out. If I don't put it in bedside mode while sitting in the stand then the keypad and screen stay lit.

Last question-- BBM- will that will work without roaming charges while using my T-Mobile USA sim abroad as I have read on here? What about if I put in a local sim, can I still use BBM? UMA? Items that use data like WeatherBug elite, should be disabled prior to departure to not incur roaming data correct?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and travel advice,

Ishta
    I would recommend that you only use UMA while you are abroad. This requires a WiFi connection to work. Just turn your Mobile Network connection off. BBM does work on your device over the WiFi Connection with the UMA feature.

You should use Stand-by mode every time you are not using your device for the best battery life. How you described it, is how it works.

For Bedside Mode:

Clock > BB Button > Options > When Charging = choose the option you want
    08-11-09 11:32 PM
    You didn't really explain what Standby mode actually does. And as for the clock-- I have it set as 'display clock' -- I was wondering if there were a way to display only clock on not the keypad lights. And beside mode-- if there were a way to display clock while in beside mode.

-Ishta
    08-12-09 05:57 AM
    definitely only use UMA. im in eurpoe now and got a $700 bill for 4 days of data in Suisse. if you go into mobile network pref you can set it to wifi-only and avoid data charges. also dont trust that gtalk statement. they will charge you for any and all data that isnt covered. i didnt rty the 19.99 intl email becuz i use bbm and wasnt sure if thatd be covered. if you come to the UK you can get an orange PAYG sim and get BB svc for free for 6months. it even works when there is no more money on the acct. plus all your bbm contacts still work as do your email even though ur using a diff service.
    08-12-09 06:46 AM
    Are we talking about AutoStandby?

Stand-by mode is pretty much an upgraded version of of the lock feature just by pressing the top right button.

Stand-by mode saves you the battery life and from accidentally hitting the keypad/calling someone. The emphasis is extended battery life.
    08-12-09 06:52 AM
    I am from the UK and i use UMA in the USA without any problems or roaming charges, but make sure with your service provider first it may be different for USA providers meaning they may have differnet policies on roaming and UMA but heres what i did.

1. turn OFF mobile network
    2. turn OFF data services
    3. switch to wifi only
    3. turn data services back ON
    4 most importantly makes sure your browser is set to HOTSPOT in both browser configeration AND general properties

after doing all of that i had no problems i was able to use most blackberry services or least the ones that matter email, messengers etc.....and i was able to make phones calls and send and receive texts, all at no roaming cost but as i said check with your service provider first.

hope that helps
    08-12-09 06:58 AM
    definitely only use UMA. im in eurpoe now and got a $700 bill for 4 days of data in Suisse. if you go into mobile network pref you can set it to wifi-only and avoid data charges. also dont trust that gtalk statement. they will charge you for any and all data that isnt covered. i didnt rty the 19.99 intl email becuz i use bbm and wasnt sure if thatd be covered. if you come to the UK you can get an orange PAYG sim and get BB svc for free for 6months. it even works when there is no more money on the acct. plus all your bbm contacts still work as do your email even though ur using a diff service.
    This is interesting, only because the above isn't my experience.

When I was in Europe, I DID have the international email plan. BTW, TMO will prorate this for the time you are out of the country. In my experience, I did not receive any additional billing for using DATA or EMAIL when in Europe. I had read on this forum and others that this is the norm. While TMO says the International plan is for email only, I and others have found that data is not charged either.

I believe the poster above might have had different results had he had the international plan. I do recommend using WiFi for any phone calls.
    08-12-09 09:41 AM
    You didn't really explain what Standby mode actually does. And as for the clock-- I have it set as 'display clock' -- I was wondering if there were a way to display only clock on not the keypad lights. And beside mode-- if there were a way to display clock while in beside mode.

-Ishta
    I thought I explained everything you needed to know. As far as the above goes, it is very difficult to determine what you are asking. Do you think you can explain this better so it is more understandable?

Stand-by mode basically puts your device into a "sleep mode" similar to a computer. However, your device will still notify you of messages and calls.
    08-12-09 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD