Since upgrading my Verizon curve to OS 4.5 I am now able to use Blackberry maps with the internal GPS. When I installed Trapster on the Curve it can't not find my location using the internal GPS. Is there a way to get this to work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 07:37 AM
    no, only BB maps and VZ Nav work with GPS ... The rest ... LOCKED DOWN!

sucks!
    01-25-09 07:47 AM
    Your right. It sure sucks!

01-25-09 08:02 AM
    I hear that is about to change...
    01-25-09 08:11 AM
    I hear that is about to change...
    Inquiring minds want to know. Where did you this?
    01-25-09 08:14 AM
    I think the change to allow BB Maps was all the change we're going to get for a while!

But thats just my educated guess...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-25-09 at 09:08 AM.
    01-25-09 08:59 AM
    i am having the same problem. that really sucks. i was looking forward to finding speed traps and radar. got busted last week on the way to the eastern shore...65 in a 50.

why does verizon have to ruin our fun?
    01-30-09 08:57 PM
    Verizon has made it difficult for apps to have access to the GPS part of the phone and makes developers apply and get approved for access for the GPS.

01-30-09 09:08 PM
    Verizon network = sweeeeet, Verizone gimped phones = GAAY
    if it wasnt for the network i would have went to att a long time ago. plus verizon is generally always behind on devices
    01-30-09 09:30 PM
    I have the Google maps app installed and that works with GPS too but I just installed Trapster only to find out it did not work.
    04-01-09 09:58 AM
    Ok I'm not 100% convinced the Google maps actually uses the internal GPS so forget my previous post.
    04-01-09 10:02 AM
    I think that Google Maps triangulates off of cell towers, but I could be wrong...
    04-02-09 03:01 PM
    I think that Google Maps triangulates off of cell towers, but I could be wrong...
    Correct that is what it does
    04-02-09 03:57 PM
    Yeah it triangulates off towers, however for a longer trip it is pretty accurate. Pretty much useless in a big city tho.

04-02-09 04:49 PM
    i also tried downloading trapster only to find that i didnt read the verizon curve caveat. it says you need a specific bluetooth to run it? check that if you get a sec !
    04-03-09 10:37 AM
    google maps uses the GPS on my phone, but I have sprint.
    04-03-09 02:13 PM
    For what it's worth I watched a news program where they tested Trapster. The conclusion was that it doesn't work very well?!
    Anyways--why take all my fun away of giving you a ticket..lol.

04-03-09 02:32 PM
    I use trapster on Telus 8330 and it works fine.

04-03-09 02:49 PM
    For what it's worth I watched a news program where they tested Trapster. The conclusion was that it doesn't work very well?!
    Anyways--why take all my fun away of giving you a ticket..lol.

I'd be interested to see that video link. This one shows it working pretty well!
    WBZ-TV Video Archive - wbztv.com

If it slows someone down and you don't have as much fun giving them a ticket, there's always the next guy. And then maybe 2 people slowed down because you were there.
    04-04-09 05:40 PM
    i also tried downloading trapster only to find that i didnt read the verizon curve caveat. it says you need a specific bluetooth to run it? check that if you get a sec !
    We think there will be a firmware update that relaxes the restriction. That said - I have a GSat puck that I use even with my phones that have internal GPS. It has like 11 hrs battery life. We drove for 7 hours, no car charger, with a Storm.

The problem is finding one at a good price. The link on our site says Amazon discontinued them... I'll look for a replacement.
    04-04-09 05:44 PM
    Gypsy was correct. Trapster won't work with Verizon due to the GPS thing. I spent 40% battery life trying all the other fixes until I read the post about looking in the applications setting. There at the bottom was the caveat that Verizon users needed to buy an external gps to get it to work. I guess I could look at all the cameras in San diego area, but not helpful in Phoenix. Maps on Verizon doesn't get me as close as Google maps, so I usually do that. Glad I didn't have to pay for it. Looked cool, though.
    04-10-09 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD