Does anyone know how to copy an address book from one device to another? User was with AT&T and ported number to TMO. I am trying to move his entire address book (201 entries) from the AT&T device to the T-Mobile device, without any success. Does anyone know how to do this?

Much obliged!
    04-17-08 11:38 AM
    Well the easiest way is if you sync with something like outlook set up your new phone to do the same. Or find a different program online that will do the same thing (not quite sure what they are) Hope that helps a bit!
    04-17-08 11:41 AM
    All you have to do is use your Desktop Manager.

First off, make sure you have backed-up his phonebook or data from the old device using DM. Connect the new BlackBerry device and select Backup and Restore. Then go Advanced, open up the backup file and select the phonebook and move it to your device. That easy.
    04-17-08 11:43 AM
    All you have to do is use your Desktop Manager.

First off, make sure you have backed-up his phonebook or data from the old device using DM. Connect the new BlackBerry device and select Backup and Restore. Then go Advanced, open up the backup file and select the phonebook and move it to your device. That easy.
    Tried that. For whatever reason, I am not able to move the phonebook to the new device. It is grayed out.

EDIT: I now see that I get the message "Databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are read-only. You cannot restore or clear them." Does this mean I am out of luck? If I turn off the wireless synchronization on the old device and back it up again, will I then be able to transfer?
    Last edited by MonkeyGirl; 04-17-08 at 11:50 AM.
    04-17-08 11:46 AM
    I'm not sure if you are following the steps correctly. If you back up just the address book database using desktop manager, you can restore that to the new phone.

Connect the phone you want to copy the address book from.
    Run Destkop Manager
    Open Back up and Restore
    Create a back up of the phone
    Close out back to just Desktop manager
    Disconnect the phone, and plug in the phone you want to copy the address book to
    Open Back up and Restore
    Click on Advanced
    Go to File > Open, and open the back up you just created
    On the left, unselect everything except the address book
    Press the arrow that points to the right

This should be it.
    04-17-08 11:53 AM
    Go sunkast! You are more patient in teaching them step by step

I just tell them how it is done and they should be able to figure it out. My bad.
    04-17-08 11:55 AM
    Tried that. For whatever reason, I am not able to move the phonebook to the new device. It is grayed out.

EDIT: I now see that I get the message "Databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are read-only. You cannot restore or clear them." Does this mean I am out of luck? If I turn off the wireless synchronization on the old device and back it up again, will I then be able to transfer?
    Hmmm, that is strange. I have done this with my boyfriend when he transferred his 8700g data to his new Titanium Curve without any issue. What could have been different...
    04-17-08 11:57 AM
    If nothing else works you could bring your phone to the store and have them swap it for you. I had Sorint swap my old sprint phone book to my new Verizon Blackberry without a problem.
    04-17-08 11:58 AM
    Is the phone activated on BES?
    04-17-08 12:01 PM
    I turned off the wireless activation feature on both devices, re-backed up the old device and was then able to successfully transfer the address book to the new device!

Thanks to everyone for their help and quick responses -- I really appreciate it!
    04-17-08 12:05 PM
    How do you turn off the wireless activation feature?? I am having the same problem when trying to install the service books on the 9530 storm. Please help!
    12-19-09 11:44 AM
    I'd just use Google Sync. It'd be so seamless.
    12-19-09 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD