Can anybody with a 8520 do this test for me? Put a piece of thin clear plastic over the track pad and see if it's still working?
    If it is it means finally we can have a completely waterproof case for a blackberry and my typing in the rain dream will come true

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 10:57 AM
    Come on! The wait is killing me
    Somebody try it!

09-04-09 03:38 PM
    Well, I dont have a piece of clear thin plastic to try it, but what I did try is a white plastic bag and it worked. I also covered the trackpad with a shirt and it worked fine also.

So I assume it will work if a waterproof case can be created.
    09-04-09 04:23 PM
    Happy days, thanks my friend. Gonna get me the onyx when it comes out in uk, if not maybe the 8520 for this very simple reason if it's not coming out by january when I can upgrade.

09-04-09 04:54 PM
    It does work... but it's rubbish, so don't get your hopes up yet for a fully waterproof BB

The trackpad is nowhere near as responsive when covered, as it needs a little movement to operate effectively.
    09-05-09 12:01 PM
    I'm sure they'll come up with some kind of membrane for the pad and the keyboard. For me that's good news

Can somebody try something thinner like a balloon?

As much as i like the trackball I would change to a trackpad device just for that reason alone.
    09-05-09 03:27 PM
    I tried it with a screen protector, which is pretty thin.

The trackpad naturally rocks forwards/backwards and left/right in operation.
    When you cover it, you restrict it's movement... and ultimately it's responsiveness.
    09-05-09 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD