So, I've had my Curve for for about a year and a half, and all of a sudden the track ball doesn't select things any more. It scolls fine, but will not click things.....if you hold it, it works every-so-often.

I pulled the ball and looked at the contact, it looks clean. Not sure what to do....anyone have any experience with this?

I'd get a different phone, but I've got crappy service here in NC with AT&T and have 6 more months on my contract.

Thanks in advance!
    08-04-09 05:54 PM
    very similar problem w/ my curve 8330 from VZW. after 1 1/2 yrs trackball wouldn't select (enter) -- I would use the "enter" key on the keyboard and reboot. I knew it wasn't hardware related since it would work after reboot and only fail every few days. However, after it started requiring reboot 2 & 3 times / day I got tired of it. After replacing trackball (no luck), wipe, restore OS (no luck & pain in the rear), I gave up and replaced phone. BEFORE you go nuts - just admit it's over and replace.

Good news - VZW was uber-cool about it - replaced w/ refurbed at $0.00 - with no questions asked. didn't even use the assurion warranty - totally free - it was a pain in the neck reloading all of the apps and getting my new PIN out to everyone - but... free is always good. Just try being really polite and cool and go into your AT&T store and claim "manufacturer warranty" replacement.

I think I lucked out 'cause I went to VZW about 3 days after the Tour release and they were thinking, "what are we gonna do with all of these curves? Who's gonna buy one of these things now that the Tour is out" Who knows - might work, give it a try at your store -- just be sure to back up before you go in. So, if the rep is cool and switches it out you can do it right there on the spot and not risk going home to back up and returning to a rep that is not cooperative.
    Last edited by alex1; 08-04-09 at 06:06 PM.
    08-04-09 06:04 PM
    Had exactly the same problem with my 8310 this week, bought it second hand off ebay so returning to my provider wasn't really an option!

Got it fixed tho, the contact underneath the trackball was surprisingly dirty... The last user must not have washed their hands that often

Simply remove the plastic ring around the trackball (can be done with a finger nail)... be careful not to break the small plastic clip parts that hold it in (as i did) they're quite fragile. The trackball should pretty much fall out (think its held in by a magnet)

Get some switch cleaner or alcohol on a cotton bud and clean the contact on both the inside of the unit and the underside of the trackball, stick it all back together and let me know how you get on... mine worked perfectly after!
    08-04-09 06:26 PM
    Just re-read your post... my contacts appeared to look clean too, but definitely werent!
    08-04-09 06:28 PM
    I have an 8310 with the same problem! It just started happening yesterday after about a year of use. Thing is, it doesn't work at all! I have to use the Enter key.

And, yes, I cleaned it before even posting here.
    08-04-09 06:37 PM
    Thank for all the suggestions. The one that I am going to settle on is the one where I don't have a brain fart.

I wasn't thinking and I am just going to use the enter key...not optimal, but at least I won't have to get a new phone.

Thanks again for the quick responses!
    08-05-09 01:22 PM
    Here's a thought; although unlikely, those copper contact pads under the trackball have been known to loose adhesion and move around - some even come completely disconnected. Perhaps the contact in your phone has moved over time until it is no longer in the optimal location. This would leave the trackball working for cursor control, bit the select would not work, just as you describe.
    If you want to investigate this, use tweezers to carefully tug the contact until it seems dead center of the trackball opening. perhaps even just a hair closer to the top of the opening than the bottom - then try it out. I don't see how it can hurt at all...
    Good luck!
    08-05-09 01:31 PM
    Here's a thought; although unlikely, those copper contact pads under the trackball have been known to loose adhesion and move around - some even come completely disconnected. Perhaps the contact in your phone has moved over time until it is no longer in the optimal location. This would leave the trackball working for cursor control, bit the select would not work, just as you describe.
    If you want to investigate this, use tweezers to carefully tug the contact until it seems dead center of the trackball opening. perhaps even just a hair closer to the top of the opening than the bottom - then try it out. I don't see how it can hurt at all...
    Good luck!
    monkeyman1 - webstarr has your solution. The trackball button will move (or shift) after awhile and sometimes even completely come off and get lost. If the contact is still there, test it by removing the trackball and using the blunt end of a round toothpick to see if it still "clicks." People use rubbing alcohol to clean their trackball and the area under it and this will eventually loosen the adhesive on the button causing it to move.
    08-05-09 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD