I searched on this, but I couldn't find anything. My trackball works when I'm trying to scroll, but for some reason it won't click.

I tried cleaning it, and then I opened the phone and changed the trackball. It still won't click. Any ideas on how I can get this working? Am I just having bad luck with the trackballs themselves, or is this a signal of something else not working properly?
    08-12-09 06:55 PM
    I can't say for sure on the Storm but on other BB's, there's a spring loaded armature on the main board that causes the TB to click. If the armature is broken, you'll have to replace it or, get a new BB.

That may be the issue.
    08-12-09 07:04 PM
    well the trackball is really a ball on a set of rollers that go every which way with a circle plastic pad in the center that touches the part of the square chip that acts as a button and gets depressed when u "click" so im thinking maybe that part is bad or piece on the trackball is broke.

I have attached a few pics from when I disassembled my 8220 its very similar AFAIK
    08-12-09 07:07 PM
    well the trackball is really a ball on a set of rollers that go every which way with a circle plastic pad in the center that touches the part of the square chip that acts as a button and gets depressed when u "click" so im thinking maybe that part is bad or piece on the trackball is broke.

I have attached a few pics from when I disassembled my 8220 its very similar AFAIK
    That button is the armature I was talking about. You can replace it, but it's not an easy task for faint-of-heart. You could replace the entire track ball assembly to see if that is the problem.
    08-12-09 07:10 PM
    ya but I guess you wouldn't know whats broke unless you took the trackball out because then you could see if the piece is gone and/or maybe try to manually press that button on the board
    08-12-09 07:13 PM
    yes, that's correct. If you do take the track ball assembly apart, I would advise you on purchasing a new one first.

Good luck
    08-12-09 07:15 PM
    I have the same problem. I took the bold apart and replaced the trackball plug in module. This didn't fix it. The ball scrolls fine and it phyisically clicks when I press it but will not register a "select".

What gives? Also, not sure if related or not but the bluetooth went out a day after the trackball quit working right
    08-14-09 06:23 PM
    Man, don't buy new trackball. Just update your os then it will work again......
    I've got some problem 2 months ago but i just update my os and it works again
    08-15-09 01:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD