Do you guys notice if you haven't done a battery pull (I use quickpull app) in about 2 days or more and your memory has dropped considerably that you trackball becomes non-responsive? Its like you have to keep rolling the trackball to just get it to move over one icon but then when I go ahead and do a quick pull and my phone restarts back up, the trackball is super super sensitive like how you would expect it to be. This drives me nuts as I hate to keep having to reset my phone just because the trackball also becomes slow.
    08-17-09 05:16 PM
    I personally have not noticed this on my 8900.

What OS are you rockin'?

I'm with T-Mobile as well and have .231 on mine, if you dont have this version it might help with your problem.
    08-17-09 05:21 PM
    This is the 8900 forum... plenty of memory... and your profile says you have a Pearl.

Oh, and by the way... QuickPull is not as good as a true Battery Pull... and you should always close all apps properly or you are going to have issues with memory leaks.... there should only be 5 apps running on your device if you are closing all apps correctly, and they are: Home Screen, Messenger, Browser, Call Log, and Messages... you can see them by holding the Alt and pressing the Esc key (Just to the right of the trackball)
    08-17-09 05:26 PM
    Yes I do have the 8900 I just need to update my profile. I always close out of unnecessary apps by holding down the menu key and seeing what apps are running in the background and like you said I don't like to have more than 5 running unless necessary.

I also have the latest .231 from T-Mobile. Everything is perfect on my phone I guess I just found this trackball being slow pretty annoying but the next time it's slow, I'll check my background apps and see if I have too many running maybe it's just that.

How come you say Quickpull isn't as good, it does exactly what a physical battery pull would do and when my phone restarts again I have over 110MB of free memory again.
    08-17-09 05:35 PM
    Nope, Quickpull does not do the exact same thing as a battery pull. A battery pull can not be replicated by an application. What Quickpull does is replicate a "soft reset" on the device, the same as doing Alt + Left Shift + Delete. A Battery Pull does a "hard reset" and it is better than a "soft reset".
    08-17-09 05:41 PM
    How come you say Quickpull isn't as good, it does exactly what a physical battery pull would do and when my phone restarts again I have over 110MB of free memory again.
    I just address this subject right now... QuickPull is nothing more than doing a Soft Restart (Alt+Shift+Del)... it MUST leave some part of the OS behind to get the system to restart... it does NOT load the OS totally fresh from Memory... it can not... QuickPull says it is, but it is NOT!!! I've explained this over and over again... sorry, but I don't care what the programmers say about that app... it's the same as a Soft Restart, which is good, but not as good as a real Battery Pull.
    08-17-09 05:45 PM
    Actually in the product details listing (at least in the Crackberry Store) the app does not claim to be the same as a battery pull. At least the last time I checked it did not.
    08-17-09 05:47 PM
    I personally did not know that about the Quickpull app, thanks for the information guys
    08-17-09 05:55 PM
    Actually in the product details listing (at least in the Crackberry Store) the app does not claim to be the same as a battery pull. At least the last time I checked it did not.
    I've seen this quoated a few times:

• Simulates a “battery pull”
    08-17-09 05:57 PM
    Yea, I hear ya Fatboy but "simulates" is a very suggestive term. A soft-reboot also "simulates" a Battery Pull in my opinion. A "simulation" of something is still not the real thing the same way that QuickPull is not a real Battery Pull. I think that the QuickPull developer leaves the true functionality of ambiguous to his advantage.
    08-17-09 06:01 PM
    Ok sounds good guys I appreciate all the responses. I guess I'll just do quickpull when I really don't have time to do a physical battery pull. I don't mean to open a new can of worms but I still don't get why it takes 3 years for the phone to fully start up. Seriously I can take a quick shower and the thing is still on the white screen sometimes. Ok not that long but you guys no what I mean lol.

That's why after being with BB for more than 6 years, I think I am finally bored of their operating system (even 5.0 doesn't have that much difference) and I think I will go to something new. I was really waiting for the Storm 2 but still the same old BB Operating System with 5.0 and just a full touchscreen. I may give Android a try sometime soon.

Thanks guys and again sorry if I opened a new can of worms lol.
    08-17-09 06:14 PM
    You can try android but you will not be pleased and will be back here within a month. Don't say that no one advised you against it.

To speed up your restart:

Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning > Status = disabled
    08-17-09 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD