I love my new Curve 8310. It's a leaps and bounds improvement over the Treo 680, and with only 48 hours under my belt, I'm impressed by its excellent voice quality and intuitive software. There's only one thing that's bugging me...

The trackball doesn't have much in the way of "give," it's set very low, I feel no noticeable "click" when it's pressed, and each use requires a hard push of the thumb - far harder than I would have imagined. With lots of use, I figure there's gonna be a callous developing on this here thumb of mine.

Is this to be expected or something I should get it swapped out for?

L
    12-06-07 03:11 PM
    I would just try and live with it. You'll probably get used to it very quickly. All of the curve trackballs move around a bit. You could try to do a swap but I doubt at&t would give you the time of day.
    12-06-07 03:21 PM
    I have had 2 different Curves. I swapped for the second one because the trackball periodically didn't work and I didn't think it "felt" right from the very beginning. I had no problems with ATT. I called customer service. They immediately sent a replacement that works and feels much better.
    12-06-07 03:28 PM
    Thanks much for the feedback, Timothy and Emmaus! For the time being, I'm going to live with it and see how things go. I visited the ATT store this evening and checked the demonstration model's trackball feel. Theirs is negligibly better than mine, and the ATT tech told me that his trackball "loosened up" after awhile. So will mine, he figures. I've got the 30-day window in which to swap out if need be. In the meantime, I've become so attached to this thing that the husband found me holding it while sleeping. I kid you not.

L
    12-06-07 07:00 PM
    My track ball works fine, but I have found when I am playing a game like poker or blackjack where I am frequently pressing the ball down my thumb gets an dent in it eventually making it harder to press the ball.
    12-06-07 07:09 PM
    yea, the trackball on the bold seems harder to press than the curve 8900
    12-27-08 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD