I got some water on the keyboard of my Blackberry 8900 (4 months old). The keyboard and trackball enter function did not work, as well as some letters got jumbled up when typing. I could move the trackball left and right though.

After a couple of hours my keyboard resumed perfect function but I still cannot activate any applications with my trackball. Can it be a muffled circuit? How can the keyboard work and not the trackball enter function? I don't think it's dirty either because it worked fine last night.
    08-06-09 10:52 AM
    try opening up the device and cleaning out the trackball might help. But first try a battery pull.
    08-06-09 11:01 AM
    I think it's clean because it's fairly new. I pulled out the battery for about 2-3 hours and after that the keyboard dried up I guess and started working again.

Does it just take more time for the trackball to dry?
    08-06-09 11:24 AM
    It takes 2 to 3 days with the phone submerged in uncooked rice to get all the water out. If you did not do this, then you likely do have water damage in your device.
    08-06-09 11:26 AM
    It takes 2 to 3 days with the phone submerged in uncooked rice to get all the water out. If you did not do this, then you likely do have water damage in your device.
    Ok, thanks. It was not submerged - only water got into the keyboard. I will have the phone off for a while. I am glad the keyboard works and it will have to do with enter key instead of trackball if it's broken.

I wish I didnt go to bed and leave it on by morning I guess it would have been too late anyway.
    08-06-09 12:01 PM
    So... I tried to use the trackball today and it works! looks like I needed to let it dry for about a week, but the device is fine now. RIM sure make the Blackberry durable!
    08-14-09 07:47 AM
    So... I tried the rice trick on my old pearl 8120 that I gave to my daughter to use.... some coffee spilled on it, not her fault (stupid Starbucks).... so we immediately took it apart and I cleaned the printed circuit board (PCB) with isopropyl alcohol and it worked for a few days then started doing funny things... so I pulled the battery a few more times and cleaned it with the alcohol to no avail. then after a few weeks i cleaned it again and then put it in rice for a few days... and we are going on 2 weeks with no funny issues....so it does work

I still suggest cleaning it with the isopropyl alcohol to make sure any water residue or minerals in the water dosen't degrade the metals of the PCB.
    08-14-09 08:10 AM
    Alright thanks. I need to look up some tutorials online on how to take it apart. But I am glad that it works now (I only got it 3 months ago).

I just wanted to post a here if anyone else has the same problem they just need to be patient and wait.
    08-14-09 10:22 AM
    just be careful opening your device up...

here is my video

08-14-09 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD