Hi guys I am a newbie of BB as I just got my 8520 on Tuesday. One of the reason I bought this phone is its 256MB memory. However, as I did the alt+cap+H to check the memory, I found 131877292 fro file free and 207093760 for file total. Neither of them or the summation look like 256M. I got this value just after wiping the machine to have an accurate idea. My question is: are those numbers sound right to you guys? Or maybe you can post your file total and file free just for a reference.

Cheers,
    09-13-09 06:59 PM
    My 8520 come with a 1gb micro sd card. I thought 1gb was standard with these phones. Remove your batter and check the card you have. If you need more space just purchase a larger micro sd card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 07:25 PM
    My 8520 come with a 1gb micro sd card. I thought 1gb was standard with these phones. Remove your batter and check the card you have. If you need more space just purchase a larger micro sd card.
    Mine came with a 2Gb micro sd card which is standard in the UK, but that's not what the OP was talking about. He means the stated 256Mb onboard device memory, not media card memory.

I have 155Mb free file memory and the same 207Mb total file memory, which is correct for this device and about the same as my 8900.
    With a memory card you never get the full stated amount of memory available to you, as some is always taken up by embedded/hidden stuff you can't access or delete.
    I believe that's pretty much the same with the onboard memory. You have stuff like the boot ROM, the UI etc. which probably amounts to the 'missing' 50Mb of RAM we're experiencing.

I'm certainly no 'memory expert' and probably way off here... but that's my theroy and I'm sticking to it

Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-14-09 at 06:23 AM.
    09-13-09 08:10 PM
    Yep I meant the on board memory. Your reply makes me bit relieved on this memory issue although not happy with my 131Mb file free while you have 150Mb

Mine came with a 2Gb micro sd card which is standard in the UK, but that's not what the OP was talking about. He means the stated 256Mb onboard device memory, not media card memory.
    09-14-09 04:47 PM
    I cheat a little as I delete all the unwanted garbage from my firmware before updating, which frees up quite a bit of memory.

You could try the following tips, which also help free up memory:-

Empty your browser cache: Browser > Options > Cache Operations, and delete the lot.

Empty your App World cache: Press Alt R S T

Delete your device event log: Press Alt L G L G > Menu > Clear Log

And finally a good old battery pull for good luck

Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-14-09 at 07:59 PM.
    09-14-09 05:15 PM
    ...although not happy with my 131Mb file free while you have 150Mb
    Cheer up dude, as long as you don't go beneath 20 MB file free you've got nothing to worry about

The Bold has only 128 MB of RAM, wich means that most users have less than 40 MB free... Now that's "tight"
    09-14-09 05:21 PM
    Cheer up dude, as long as you don't go beneath 20 MB file free you've got nothing to worry about

The Bold has only 128 MB of RAM, wich means that most users have less than 40 MB free... Now that's "tight"
    Yup, I remember struggling to stay above 10Mb with my old Pearl.

Those were the days...

09-14-09 05:44 PM
    Thanks pal. I am happy now.
    09-14-09 08:11 PM
    My 8320 hovers around 12-15 MB... i hate you all lol
    09-14-09 08:42 PM
    My 8320 starts up around 23 now that's I've hacked and slashed programs I don't need.

09-14-09 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD