hello. I have been lurking on this forum for since early may when my husband and I got blackberry curves. I love my phone but this week I have started having a rather annoying problem. I was out thursday with my kids and took my phone out of my purse to make a call and noticed the led was blinking and i had several emails, a bb message and a few missed calls.....but.....my phone never rang or sounded any notification tones! So I went into noise profiles to see if I could figure out what was going on and usually if you select the ringer/tones you can preview all of them as you scroll through them....but nothing happened. All settings were just as they have always been and earlier in the day before we left I know for a fact that all sounds were working. I also tried to go into media and see if my mp3 files would play....they would not. I got some sort of device error message. Anyway, I did a quickpull and all was back to normal and I have had no more problems until this evening. All sounds etc have been working great. I was chatting with a friend on bb messenger this evening and tones were working and then all of a sudden they were not. I did all the same things I did on thursday...went into sound profiles and no sounds would preview. Went into media and got the device error message and I something else that I just can't remember exactly the wording....device media error or something. So anyway I did quick pull again and all is working again for the time being.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? The only thing that is new on my bb is I did a facebook upgrade on thursday morning.....which is ironically when the problems started shortly after that. Could that possibly be causing this problem? If so, how can I get back to the previous facebook version? I know this isn't a major problem but it is dang annoying when you depend on audible notification for things. I have now set my email, ringer and bb messenger to vibrate+tone so hopefully if this happens again i will still have some warning that a call or message is coming in.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nikonmama; 07-12-09 at 05:13 PM.
    07-12-09 05:10 PM
    That problem of disappearing sound profiles is a known issue with OS .160 I believe. Which OS do you have installed on your phone? If you have .160, you might need to install the hybrid OS that Blackngrey and Xliderider have cooked up. http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/hyb...-131-a-242109/
    07-12-09 05:37 PM
    Have you tried pulling your battery out for a minute or so and putting it back in to see if they restore?
    07-12-09 05:46 PM
    That problem of disappearing sound profiles is a known issue with OS .160 I believe. Which OS do you have installed on your phone? If you have .160, you might need to install the hybrid OS that Blackngrey and Xliderider have cooked up.
    I believe I just have the OS 4.5. It is the only OS I have had since i got the phone over 2 months ago and I haven't had any problems until just recently. And the sound profiles aren't disappearing....they are there there is just no sound.

Have you tried pulling your battery out for a minute or so and putting it back in to see if they restore?
    no i haven't done that yet b/c the case i have is a pita to get on and off....so i have just done the quickpull when the sounds abruptly stop working. that has corrected the problem so far but obviously didn't fix it since i had the problem again today.
    07-12-09 06:00 PM
    i have had my phone for over a year. i also installed 4.5 OS (sprint) on my phone 3 months ago. Never had a problem until this morning took my phone off the charger and noticed that i had some missed calls.

I then soft powered off and then powered back up. It is doing the exact same thing as your phone. The speaker still works fine just don't ring or vibrate when i have a incoming call or message. Nothing just like it is stuck in silent mode. I am gonna do a hard pull in a sec and try.
    07-12-09 10:10 PM
    I just did a battery pull and left it out for a few mins. My phone is indeed ringing just fine once again. So try what i did. My phone is working great again.
    07-12-09 10:21 PM
    I just did a battery pull and left it out for a few mins. My phone is indeed ringing just fine once again. So try what i did. My phone is working great again.
    Thanks I will try that if my phone does it again. I am trying to avoid having to crack my case open and get it back on. I had a hard time getting it on in the first place. Quick pull has, at least temporarily, solved the problem. As I said in the op I first had a problem thursday morning and noticed it that afternoon and did a quickpull and it resolved the problem and everything was fine until yesterday evening....3 days later. It is exactly like the phone just suddenly switches to and gets stuck in silent mode. I didn't noticed if vibrations didn't work as well as tones b/c I didn't have mine set to vibrate any. I have a few things set to vibrate+tone now to see what happens if it does it again. The other weird thing is when it happens if I try to play a music file it gives me some kind of device error (I don't remember the exact wording).

I am curious did you apply the most recent facebook update? I know it is probably a coincidence that I immediately had problems with my phone after applying that update. My husband has the same phone as I...we got them the same day and have the same OS and he is not having any problems with his, but he also didn't bother doing the facebook update last week.
    07-13-09 06:17 AM
    I did the facebook update also. Hmm that's weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 04:19 PM
    hmmm....well that really makes me wonder if it is a bug with the latest facebook update since we both started having problems shortly after installing it.
    07-13-09 04:26 PM
    I had the same problem, and I do not have facebook on my phone. I did fix the problem by downgrading my phone back to an older OS, and it works fine now.
    07-14-09 11:22 AM
    i have a hybrid OS and mine works only randomly... maybe i'll look into an os update
    07-25-09 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD