I currently have a Curve 8320 with Tmobile, BB unlimited e-mail, and no data plan. This works really well, since all I use it for is email and calendar. I occasionally use the internet at home using WiFi. And email service is only $10/month.

I'm thinking of getting an 8520, but want to make sure my BB email still works fine with no data plan. I know Tmobile won't sell you one unless you get data service.

Anyone own an 8520 without a data plan?
    Last edited by Bragi; 06-24-10 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
    06-24-10 12:31 PM
    Have you tried asking or looking in the T-mobile section of this forum?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 08:01 PM
    I used my 8520 w/o a data plan for a while. I bought the phone w/ the data, went home called CS and took it off. It worked for me. I have the data plan back on now. Man can't berry on Wi-fi alone.
    06-24-10 08:44 PM
    I have an 8520 with email only and no data plan. I did not purchase my phone from TMobile, I won it in a contest. I just switched my SIM card out and I was good to go.
    06-25-10 12:09 PM
    You have to contact Tmo about swapping the PIN numbers on the account. I know you have to do that on CMDA carriers, and with BIS being almost the same on all carriers you may have to do that with your new phone. It isn't very hard, and should be pretty quick. Just call up Tmobile.

Welcome to Crackberry btw!
    06-25-10 12:16 PM
    You don't have to contact T-Mobile about swapping anything. I assume the poster above means CDMA, which is not like GSM. All you have to do is swap your SIM card into the 8520. Any services you have follow the SIM card and not the phone on GSM carriers.

I usually have two or three phones at any given time and don't ever have to call. I just swap the SIM card out. I keep the unlimited BB data package active on my SIM card's # and can switch between BB/Android/Nokia without any problems.
    06-25-10 01:47 PM
    You don't have to contact T-Mobile about swapping anything. I assume the poster above means CDMA, which is not like GSM. All you have to do is swap your SIM card into the 8520. Any services you have follow the SIM card and not the phone on GSM carriers.

I usually have two or three phones at any given time and don't ever have to call. I just swap the SIM card out. I keep the unlimited BB data package active on my SIM card's # and can switch between BB/Android/Nokia without any problems.
    Sounds like a plan. I'm grandfathered in with the $10 email plan, and it works really well for me. Thanks.
    06-25-10 10:10 PM

Are you swapping between multiple blackberrys or between multiple phones in general?

*EDIT* I still believe you need to go to tmobile BIS page and change the PIN number on your account. I believe it is the same for all carriers. The PIN number is the way your device/account/phone is synced with the RIM email servers so you can receive BIS email.

Link 1

Link 2
    Last edited by rcnathan; 06-25-10 at 11:35 PM.
    06-25-10 11:19 PM
    Are you swapping between multiple blackberrys or between multiple phones in general?

*EDIT* I still believe you need to go to tmobile BIS page and change the PIN number on your account. I believe it is the same for all carriers. The PIN number is the way your device/account/phone is synced with the RIM email servers so you can receive BIS email.

Link 1

Link 2
    The PIN does not need to be changed. Swapping the SIM card will do the trick. I swap between my Pearl and the 8520 without issue.
    06-26-10 06:28 PM
    Are you on BIS or BES?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD