There is a thread in the 3rd Party Apps forum titled "Golflogix.com", which discusses golf gps software. I've had some difficulty installing this app, and one responding poster mentioned this:

About "Network Error, Can not find the host" message:
    I had the same problem and to solve it, I had to change my SIM card to a fourth generation card ( before I had a third generation), update all the BB soft to the last version and install the 1.5 version of GolfLogix.
    Now it work perfectly.

This is news to me - what is the difference between a "3rd generation" and "4th generation" SIM card, and how do I know which one I have?
    09-16-09 09:33 AM
    The main difference between them is memory size. They started out at 16k -> 32K -> 64K -> 128K. Obviously the higher the memory the more contacts can be stored on it, but the newer generation sim cards also handle 3G a lot better (and soon LTE). There are a few other things they help with between your phone and cell network.
    09-16-09 10:24 AM
    Okay - when I bought my 8900 in April, it came with a SIM card (meaning I didn't stick the SIM card from my old 8700c into my new phone). How do I know if it's a "3rd" or "4th" generation SIM card?
    09-16-09 10:51 AM
    09-16-09 02:50 PM
    Okay, I don't get it....what's wrong with this topic?
    09-17-09 10:58 AM
    Probably a post count thing.

Oh look, +1 for me!

As for actually telling the difference I am sure it's encoded in the numbers stamped on the card somehow but I am not sure. Probably something like a series ID in there somewhere.
    09-17-09 11:48 AM
    You should definitely use the SIM they provided with the phone. My old SIM did not have 3G in my Bold, but once I used the SIM supplied, 3G was available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 07:31 PM
    Can anyone explain what is real difference between 3G and 4G SIM cards. What is supported network protocols for each ?
    06-10-10 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD