Seriously have been thinking about upgrading. From users on the T-MO network, what have you noticed different????

I read a thread that Yahoo Instant Messenger disappeared. Also, what about the T-MO specific settings/apps/etc??? I mean, will the myfavs icon disappear??? Please tell me, I want to upgrade, but really not sure why

I mean, it seems you just have video recording, 8 gb SD card capability, and video notes??? Not sure if that is worth upgrading. Please, I've searched a few threads, but just get a bunch of grunts with how things work sooo much better and/or how there data is not there,,, blah,blah,

CAN SOMEONE SELL THIS FIRMWARE TO ME???
    08-17-08 11:30 PM
    You can d'load messenger again. My favs will disappear since you will delete the vendor xml file. But you can install the official 4.5 from Tmo (if that ever comes) and get those back. The calls to those numbers will still be free nevertheless.

You get html email as well and can watch youtube videos.

You dont need anyone to sell it to you. Its available for download on this forum...from Orange.

Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-0-52-a-53316/

Edit: I forgot to mention Docs to Go...with that software you can save word and excel files. It comes with 4.5

That should be more than enough to convince you. But go ahead only if you feel comfortable with it...some people are not prepared to upgrade their OS.
    Last edited by ADberry; 08-17-08 at 11:47 PM.
    08-17-08 11:41 PM
    First problem with your post : nobody should have to "sell the firmware to you" because then we will end up being the same people to "save you" from the "firmware" once you mess up on the install...

If you cannot convince yourself to upgrade and have to ask the difference, then I highly doubt that you are capable to complete the upgrade process and walk away with a working berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 11:49 PM
    I'm pretty sure he means "sell" as in he needs some persuasion (sp?).

Anyway, personally, I think this is the best upgrade as of yet. My favorite thing about it is the new L shaped icon theme. It helps make the screen seem much larger. The date, time, etc. are all spread across the top of the screen in a nice clear font.

The sms and email inbox is a little nicer because of the option to "stripe" which I like a lot. Striping just helps gray every other message or email to make it easier to read. The appearance of the emails is nicer also. They also support HTML like ADberry mentioned above. There just very subtle changes that make it appear nicer, and cleaner.

The phone book also looks a little different. You also have the option to stripe or have lines to seperate the contacts. When you go to edit a contact, it looks similar to the inbox like I described earlier. And the contact categories are more organized.

Then there's also the features that you mentioned, video camera, 8 gig support, etc.

I think you should try it! You won't regret it. There's really no drawbacks, it really is an UPGRADE. And besides, backup your current settings, and if you don't like it the 4.5 OS, just restore it to what you had before.
    08-17-08 11:59 PM
    LOL..you're probably right. I misunderstood him as well
    08-18-08 12:01 AM

Yeah I think thats what he meant.

And for the OP, if you decide to upgrade just get familar with the upgrade process before you start. Bmcclure has a thread for that(in his signature) and here is one as well. I like this one just because it give you photos to see. BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    08-18-08 12:06 AM
    Okay, to clear up the "Sell" guessing, I meant "to persuade". Some good guesses. LOL

Any how, I'm more than capable of doing this install, in fact, I've done many since I'm an IT guy, this is just for my personal phone and that is why I ask so many questions before diving it. Since it's not official and it is on my personal phone, I'm willing to roll the dice more. Thanks all for every tidbit of information. I really don't have anything worth backing up on my phone so data loss is not a concern. Thanks.... I'll continue to mine for more info...
    08-18-08 11:00 AM
    For me, the new Browser is the biggest benefit of the upgrade.

During testing, I had occasion to roll back to v4.2, what a difference. That sold me.

The later version of OS does not include the sample files, that does not bother me, I usually delete them anyway.

I would advise installing your original carriers OS first. Test to make sure everything is working correctly, then install the update. If anything goes wrong, it is simple to roll back.
    08-18-08 11:14 AM
    I like the upgradde my self. I am sure if you upgrade you will like it also.
    08-18-08 11:24 AM
    You will lose yahoo messenger.
    08-18-08 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD