Hello all,

I just updated from a curve 8320, to a 8900 - & I'm wondering if there is a way to NOT charge the battery when it's plugged into my PC via the USB cable...? I'm almost positive there's such an option on the 8300, but I'm not sure how I found it, nor do I know how to find it in my new 8900.

I find myself taking a lot of pictures (having a 3.2 mp camera in your phone is AWESOME!), & thus, I transfer a lot of files to the computer frequently. However, I don't want the phone charging by default every time I connect it to my computer because that's not good for the battery

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    08-05-09 08:48 PM
    Actually that is great for the battery. There is no reason to worry about this at all.
    08-05-09 08:49 PM
    Really? Alright than, I guess I need not worry.

I was always told by people (including T-Mobile employees) that it's not good to over charge your battery because of a "memory effect".

I did some research of my own into the matter, but am finding conflicting information at best - some sources say that lithium-ion batteries have no such thing as a "memory effect", while other sources state the exact opposite.
    08-05-09 08:56 PM
    I've read that frequently charging your blackberry will prolong the battery life. As much as possible, refrain from full discharge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 09:00 PM
    They have no idea what they are talking about. While with the older battery technologies this was true, it is not true with Li-Ion batteries. Li-Ion do not have memory effect but they can become damaged if you let them drain down too low and too often. It is best to charge them early and as much as possible. Also, they have a memory circuit within them that prevents over-charging.
    08-05-09 09:02 PM
    Really? Alright than, I guess I need not worry.

I was always told by people (including T-Mobile employees) that it's not good to over charge your battery because of a "memory effect".

I did some research of my own into the matter, but am finding conflicting information at best - some sources say that lithium-ion batteries have no such thing as a "memory effect", while other sources state the exact opposite.
    The ones you heard it from are idiots...

08-05-09 09:31 PM
    I actually was under the same impression about the batteries. I am quite happy I came upon this post.
    Thanks guys! I will charge away!
    08-05-09 09:35 PM
    The ones you heard it from are idiots...

I was trying to be nice ... but, yes I definitely agree 100% with this post!
    08-05-09 10:49 PM
    I was told the same thing as ralffers. I'm really glad that I read this thread b/c I always let my battery drain before charging. I didn't realize that I could potentially be damaging my battery...thanks for this info!!

08-05-09 11:44 PM
    One more thing - Is it okay to use the device while it's charging? I heard somewhere that it's best not to use the device while it's plugged in.

08-05-09 11:49 PM
    One more thing - Is it okay to use the device while it's charging? I heard somewhere that it's best not to use the device while it's plugged in.

Yea, another myth by idiots. It is perfectly fine to use your device while it is charging. If you think about it, if that were a problem, then it would be impossible to transfer data from you Blackberry to your phone because in doing so you are using the device while it is charging.
    08-05-09 11:54 PM
    aristile as some somebody in a previous post said - You really are a genius . I read through quite a few threads & have been helped a lot by you and a few others..

Thanks for your help!

08-06-09 12:03 AM
    I do appreciate it ... I just do what I can to give back. It is great to hear the feedback from people like you that appreciate what I do here. There are others here that are not so grateful.
    08-06-09 12:07 AM
    Okay not a curve user actually a Storm user

Question: is it bad for your battery if you use a car charger. I read somewhere that the car chargers have to much power going through them, like they don't regulate the proper amount of power the blackberry needs.

(sorry if that was confusing)
    08-06-09 12:09 AM
    Okay not a curve user actually a Storm user

Question: is it bad for your battery if you use a car charger. I read somewhere that the car chargers have to much power going through them, like they don't regulate the proper amount of power the blackberry needs.

(sorry if that was confusing)
    LOL, check it - I can help Storm users too!

It is not *bad* to use a good car charger. The issue comes into play when you happen to use a *cheap* car chargers. The reason for this is that since there are many companies out there that make car chargers not all of them generate a quality product. I wrote *cheap* in this way earlier because a lower priced product does not always denote that an item is *cheap* (although it is usually a good indicator). I have seen expensive products that were crap and in-expensive products that were awesome. The best I think you can do with car chargers is to read the customer feedback for the products and stick with the one that other users have had the best experience(s) with.
    08-06-09 12:30 AM
    LOL, check it - I can help Storm users too!

It is not *bad* to use a good car charger. The issue comes into play when you happen to use a *cheap* car chargers. The reason for this is that since there are many companies out there that make car chargers not all of them generate a quality product. I wrote *cheap* in this way earlier because a lower priced product does not always denote that an item is *cheap* (although it is usually a good indicator). I have seen expensive products that were crap and in-expensive products that were awesome. The best I think you can do with car chargers is to read the customer feedback for the products and stick with the one that other users have had the best experience(s) with.

Thanks

So... I understand what your saying. So say I go to bestbuy or something similar would you recommend going with a charger that says blackberry specific? Even though it would be more expensive. Because I know that blackberrys have the universal micro USB.

Guess I'm asking because I have tried something that have micro USB for charging but they don't always work, like I was in a pinch and needed to use my jawbone charger but it didn't work, didn't have enough power.

That would be my concearn between going universal and buying a cheap Mirco USB compared to a blackberry specific one.
    08-06-09 12:37 AM
    Thanks

So... I understand what your saying. So say I go to bestbuy or something similar would you recommend going with a charger that says blackberry specific? Even though it would be more expensive. Because I know that blackberrys have the universal micro USB.

Guess I'm asking because I have tried something that have micro USB for charging but they don't always work, like I was in a pinch and needed to use my jawbone charger but it didn't work, didn't have enough power.

That would be my concearn between going universal and buying a cheap Mirco USB compared to a blackberry specific one.
    USB is a standard connection so all the USB products have the same voltage and this is what is important. The current on USB devices (and chargers) is what varies. The lower the current on the charger, the longer it will take to charger you battery. A really high current can damage your battery, but generally that is a non-issue. The issue with car charges is that a large amount of them do not do a good job of converting the DC voltage down from the 14.4 V in your car (when it is running) to the 5V that your device needs to charge. When the Voltage is not exact (within a tolerance) it is going to do damage to your device.

As far as choosing chargers goes, what I would do is look online at a handful of chargers and read the customer feedback on them. Newegg is a great place to do this and my favorite online store by far (sorry Crackberry). Far more often than not, the price at an online store will crush the price at any retail store you can physically go to.
    08-06-09 12:50 AM
    I recently bought a car charger for less than four bucks on eBay for my 8900. The user had sold dozens of them and had great feedback so I felt it was a safe bet. I've used it occasionally over the course of the last few weeks and it has charged my BB fine without any problems. I'm sure there are shady sellers/products out there but as long as you do your research and buy from a reputable seller/company you should be good.
    08-06-09 12:51 AM
    so wait ... charging it multiple times is good and draining it till the end is bad O.o ive been doing it wrong this whole time

would this be the same case with a psp?
    08-06-09 04:33 AM
    I haven't tried this, but I'll give it a crack in a week or two...

There's after-market USB cables that you can use for your psp (which does not charge through usb) which have a seperate plug to charge your psp with. I would presume that this carries the 5v from the usb-out seperately to the usb connectivity plug - maybe worth a shot if you're overly worried.

I was in the misinformed-loop of letting batteries run down until I read all this though. Will be charging more frequently from now!
    08-06-09 07:06 AM
    Afaik, RIM now using Lithium-Polymer Battery for all BB, more advanced than Li-Ion battery.
    08-06-09 07:13 AM
    i learned so much from this thread lol thanks guys
    08-06-09 10:57 AM
    so wait ... charging it multiple times is good and draining it till the end is bad O.o ive been doing it wrong this whole time

would this be the same case with a psp?
    This is the same for all Lithium Ion batteries.

Afaik, RIM now using Lithium-Polymer Battery for all BB, more advanced than Li-Ion battery.
    I just looked at the back of my battery in my 8900 and it clearly says "Lithium Ion" on it.
    08-06-09 10:57 AM
    I just want to throw a big Thank You out there too...this was a very informative thread

Good question OP and great info aristile!!!
    08-06-09 11:49 AM
    No problem and everyone you are very welcome!

I am glad that I was able to help out so many with one thread!
    08-06-09 11:51 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD