Ok, I wonder if there is a way to increase the number of characters in a text message. I'm sick of the words "field full" when I just want to finish a bloody sentence!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 06:23 PM
    you might want to try crunch sms..i'm new to the scene....but hope that helps
    06-30-10 06:27 PM
    Yes crunchsms there is no limit but i believe if the text is too long the text will be split into two seperate texts
    06-30-10 07:04 PM
    Another app is Beyond160, but I understand the CrunchSMS is free, but don't know about Beyond160. I'm fortunate in that ATT automatically breaks a message into multiple parts if they exceed 160 characters without needing a separate app.
    06-30-10 08:20 PM
    BlackBerry App World - Beyond160

BlackBerry App World - crunchSMS

If I have the money, I would get Beyond160. Because it still uses your native SMS/MMS app (unlike CrunchSMS). You just have to hit "Beyond160" on the menu when the field is full. CrunchSMS works the same but it uses their "own" chat-style (looks like iPhone) SMS application.
    06-30-10 08:36 PM
    I'm fortunate in that ATT automatically breaks a message into multiple parts if they exceed 160 characters without needing a separate app.
    I didn't know that! Why won't other carriers do that?
    06-30-10 08:37 PM
    I didn't know that! Why won't other carriers do that?
    Well I believe Sprint does. My sister-in-law has an HTC type Droid phone on Sprint and she does this all the time. The only issue, with both of them, is that if you are in the middle of a word when you hit 160, the second text takes off in the middle of the word, so it can be a little difficult reading the texts sometimes if you aren't paying attention, but since they come in back to back, it is pretty simple to tie them together as you read.
    06-30-10 08:40 PM
    Well I believe Sprint does. My sister-in-law has an HTC type Droid phone on Sprint and she does this all the time. The only issue, with both of them, is that if you are in the middle of a word when you hit 160, the second text takes off in the middle of the word, so it can be a little difficult reading the texts sometimes if you aren't paying attention, but since they come in back to back, it is pretty simple to tie them together as you read.
    It doesn't do that on my 8530, I have Sprint. I think it depends on the phone, not the carrier.
    06-30-10 09:08 PM
    It doesn't do that on my 8530, I have Sprint. I think it depends on the phone, not the carrier.
    Well you can always use the MMS function and there is no limit to the number of characters.
    06-30-10 09:36 PM
    Well you can always use the MMS function and there is no limit to the number of characters.
    Good idea, I've never really tried that. But the recipient will receive the text as MMS, right?
    06-30-10 10:40 PM
    Good idea, I've never really tried that. But the recipient will receive the text as MMS, right?
    Yes, that's correct, but MMS is unlimited, so theoretically you could rewrite War and Peace and send it via MMS and it should go through without a hitch, other than a bump in your data usage.
    07-01-10 07:21 PM
    Yes, that's correct, but MMS is unlimited, so theoretically you could rewrite War and Peace and send it via MMS and it should go through without a hitch, other than a bump in your data usage.
    It's just like e-mail...
    07-01-10 07:30 PM
    It's just like e-mail...
    No, email uses BIS or BES, MMS uses data services I believe.
    07-01-10 09:00 PM
    I don't understand some of the limits on sms.

While playing with my old htc hermes (windows mobile), I found an app that would go through outlook to send an sms through the phone. It didn't have any limits on characters, and the entire message would go through on Cincinnati Bell! All of it would be sent and received as one message, even sending to blackberries.
    07-01-10 09:31 PM
    I don't understand some of the limits on sms.

While playing with my old htc hermes (windows mobile), I found an app that would go through outlook to send an sms through the phone. It didn't have any limits on characters, and the entire message would go through on Cincinnati Bell! All of it would be sent and received as one message, even sending to blackberries.
    There are no limits to SMS other than the 160 character limit, which can be circumvented with Beyond160 and CrunchSMS. I don't understand your question as it doesn't appear as there is one or are you just making a comment/comparison to an old phone?
    07-01-10 09:50 PM
    There are no limits to SMS other than the 160 character limit, which can be circumvented with Beyond160 and CrunchSMS. I don't understand your question as it doesn't appear as there is one or are you just making a comment/comparison to an old phone?
    I was making a comparison. But, I guess I don't understand why the phones (or phone manufacturer) put such restrictions on sms when it seems it isn't truly needed.

Would a 300 char message really tax the system that much more? I would have to guess most messages would still be small.
    07-02-10 05:35 AM
    Ok, I wonder if there is a way to increase the number of characters in a text message. I'm sick of the words "field full" when I just want to finish a bloody sentence!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Are you writing an essay? Blackberry gives 6 pages worth of text.. I would NOT suggest crunchSMS, they make you pay to remove a big black bar at the bottom of the screen. CrunchSMS will send out multiple texts depending on how many characters are in your text message so going to crunchSMS wont help really. But ive never known someone to use 6 pages in a text message before you must be the first :P
    07-02-10 01:13 PM
    I was making a comparison. But, I guess I don't understand why the phones (or phone manufacturer) put such restrictions on sms when it seems it isn't truly needed.

Would a 300 char message really tax the system that much more? I would have to guess most messages would still be small.
    Actually, because of the way the system was built, SMS can only handle 140 bytes (or 160 7-bit characters) per message. It's a limit of the cell networks and the specification of SMS, not of the phone.

Some phones and carriers support "Long SMS", but all that really does is split the longer SMS into pieces and use the first part of each message after the first to tell your phone to tie the messages together. Because it does that, you can then only have 153 characters per message, and they're still separate messages, they're just stitched together by your phone.

As to why Blackberries don't support that or automatically split text messages when you send them... I have no idea.
    07-02-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD