I have a laptop and use a Verizon wireless card to connect to the internet.

Is it possible to use the 8900 as a modem to connect the laptop to the internet.

My verizon card is 69 Dollars a month and it would be great if I can find a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion since I'm not very familiar with Tethering.
    08-13-09 02:55 PM
    Yes that will work just not as fast as the 3G.
    08-13-09 03:15 PM
    Word of caution: I believe TMO has a limit to their unlimited data. I don't know where it is, but I don't believe it is really unlimited.
    08-13-09 03:17 PM
    I'm also curious about this (on T-mobile as well). Is there a trick to configure the phone and/or laptop to make it connect?
    08-13-09 03:32 PM
    Use these instructions to get tethering to work.

Tethering with EDGE sucks. It will save you a bunch of money over a 3G card but it sucks. If your primary connection is your 3G card, stick with that. EDGE sucks for tethering. You'll be going from 700-1000 kbps to 250. It's a big speed downgrade. Another reason to get the Driftwood. I believe T-Mobile has an unenforced 10 GB data cap but I haven't seen anyone hit it. You'll be lucky to hit 500 MB on EDGE.
    08-13-09 03:36 PM
    The edge tethering isn't that bad stil pretty quick but my internet use is limited I just pay bill check my bank and read and post on engadget bgr and of course crackberry if you use the internet heavily then stick with the verizon card but if u barely use it the the t month tethering will be sufficient for u it is slower but not by that much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 03:57 PM
    im getting multiple error codes when trying to tether w/ t-mobile on my 9350. error code 633 & 678 & 628. any idea what could be wrong?
    08-15-09 04:36 PM
    T-Mobile does have a 10GB data cap, but I haven't ever seen anyone hit it either. And I agree on the usage. If you use it a lot, then you'll probably wanna stick with a 3G card/stick, but only a little light browsing, definitely go for the tethering option.
    As for tethering and the next 3G Blackberry/Driftwood/97xx from T-Mobile, they still haven't allowed tethering with 3G phones at all, so I wouldn't look toward that phone to fix your situation.

08-15-09 06:00 PM
    T-Mobile does have a 10GB data cap, but I haven't ever seen anyone hit it either. And I agree on the usage. If you use it a lot, then you'll probably wanna stick with a 3G card/stick, but only a little light browsing, definitely go for the tethering option.
    As for tethering and the next 3G Blackberry/Driftwood/97xx from T-Mobile, they still haven't allowed tethering with 3G phones at all, so I wouldn't look toward that phone to fix your situation.

You can configure tethering with any BlackBerry. You can tether with the TP2. You can tether with the G1. You can tether with the TM506. The list goes on and on and on. I have the old $20 BIS plan which explicitly allowed tethering so I will set up tethering on my Driftwood.
    08-15-09 06:18 PM
    There is NO real "Cap." If you hit 10GB you are THROTTLED to GPRS speeds.

Resets on the beginning of the bill cycle.
    08-16-09 05:31 AM
    The only bonus about tethering with T-Mobile is that it's free. There's no additional charge to tether you BB to your computer. If you already have the Vzw card, use it. Tether only if you desperately need to, EDGE isn't very fast.
    08-16-09 01:21 PM
    i tried to tether mine and didnt get it to work.
    i even went and called tmo support and i hate there support did the same thing and still didnt work. i dont know why but i have never gotten it to work
    08-16-09 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD