Currently in the market for a new phone.

The only smartphone i've had before is an iPhone, and HATED it. Hate touchscreens, hated the fact that it was so basic (no delivery reports, no text forwarding even) and hated poor signal in areas where other phones on the same carrier have awesome signal strength.

Currently have a Sony Ericsson C905 - fantastic phone with best camera on a phone i've seen, but now irritated by lack of facebook, twitter, e-mail and general internet features.

Smartphones FTW!

After doing some research i've discounted Windows Mobile (although am SOOO tempted by HTC Touch Pro 2 ) discounted android as the phone's are currently "meh" and all touchscreens (FAIL!) bar the G1.

BlackBerries FTW!

More research pushed me into the arms of a Tour, but lack of wi-fi = FAIL in my opinion.

Finally settled on waiting for 9700 "Onyx", man that phone looks awesome, but it's going to come with a VERY high price tag sim free in the UK. Seriously, it's going to be about 2.5X as expensive as the Curve 8520

The Curve 8520 has caught my eye lately though. Reasons include touchpad, (trackball = FAIL in comparison) it looks great (possibly the best looking BlackBerry of them all in my opinion), price is low sim free in the UK, has wi-fi, screen looks more than acceptable, buttons all look solid and usable.

Basically the Curve 8520 looks like it could fit my needs perfectly without forking out 2.5X the money.

Negatives? Camera is rubbish with no flash it seems and lack of 3G (fine for me at home where there is no 3G, but I work in a UK city where 3G is awesome, so i'll be stuck to GPRS when i'm not in wi-fi range it seems? I don't think there's EDGE in the UK is there? Otherwise think it's either 3G or GPRS, in which case this could be a deal breaker fail? )

Anyway, basically looking for your help. Kind of a "convince me to get a curve 8520" thread, but not quite

Any help appreciated!
    10-11-09 04:27 PM
    FYI, beside 3G, 8520 also doesn't have GPS.
    Having said that, my decision on purchasing 8520 was more or less same as yours. And I don't regret it even a bit.
    10-11-09 07:00 PM
    Hello I'm alsoe tempted on buying a 8520, I'm not going to lie but the first time I saw picture of those phones I thought they were disgusting. But today I went to T-mobile for some billing issues, and I saw the phone and played with it. I simply fell in love, sort of. I notices some stuff its lacking from the 8900. But the phone seems economical, and also I love the optical thing. It is a pretty nice phone and I might buy it one day, I'm tired of my curve! its so old, this seems like a nice upgrade.
    10-11-09 07:24 PM
    I purchased a white, t-mobile unlocked 8520 on here the other night and can't wait until receive it!
    10-11-09 09:10 PM
    I'm on my 9th blackberry and just dropped my Bold for the new 8520. The trackpad is awesome! I'm on a bes and barely notice the difference of not having 3g. I also love that it has double the application space as the bold at 256mb. Awesome device....love how light it feels and also very solid....no regrets!
    10-11-09 09:23 PM
    I'm on my 9th blackberry and just dropped my Bold for the new 8520. The trackpad is awesome! I'm on a bes and barely notice the difference of not having 3g. I also love that it has double the application space as the bold at 256mb. Awesome device....love how light it feels and also very solid....no regrets!
    Good to know! I cannot wait to try out the trackpad
    10-11-09 11:40 PM
    You gonna love the trackpad, I too had a bold and found myself going back to my 8520 because of the trackpad. Compared to the bold 8520 is so much lighter and smaller in size, and fun to be playing with. GPRS wasn't so bad either.
    @rozzy9, white 8520 sounds sexy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 02:44 AM
    the trackpad is amazing. i'm so happy with my 8520 that i'm not even excited about tmobile's 9700...well, maybe just a little.

and, minus the lack of flash, the camera isn't that bad.

you seriously cannot beat it for the price.
    10-12-09 02:53 AM
    the trackpad is amazing. i'm so happy with my 8520 that i'm not even excited about tmobile's 9700...well, maybe just a little.

and, minus the lack of flash, the camera isn't that bad.

you seriously cannot beat it for the price.
    Oh tmo has released the 9700? I thought not untill nov 11? I want it sick.

10-12-09 03:15 AM
    If the cam was better I would buy it especially with the new white one.

10-12-09 04:42 AM
    I would not hesitate to recommend this device to anyone. I'm a long time Sony Ericsson user, this is my first BB and I am very very impressed and can proudly state that I'm a convert and will remain so for some time to come.

This phone is a diamond, the OS is slick and easy to use, trackpad is very good indeed and it has all the functionality and more that you would expect from a phone which is essentially a device for communicating with others.

I have a camera for photos and a sat nav for finding stuff. Get me!

This device for a new Berry user is, as we say in the UK, the nuts.

Buy and you will not be disappointed.
    10-12-09 05:53 AM
    I have a Bold and I'm pretty happy with it. But, I've been thinking of getting an 8520 as a secondary phone. Besides, I don't use 3G much because 3G signal sucks in my area and 3G is a battery hog.

Would love to try the trackpad.
    10-16-09 08:10 PM
    Don't care about 3G? Then do it! I did! Upgraded from 8320. Weird at first, but easy to get used to trackpad.

10-17-09 02:48 AM
    Just do it!! Curve 8520 really are awesome. Sure theres no 3G and the camera isnt awesome but the trackpad alone more than makes up for it! (Y)
    10-17-09 03:14 PM
    Apols if someone's already pointed this out but EDGE is available in the UK.
    I'd never heard of EDGE until I started using it on my 8520, and I'm sure I'm
    wrong but browsing etc seems faster than when connected to my home wi-fi.

Hope that helps. Go for it, I would say.

10-20-09 04:56 PM
    Apols if someone's already pointed this out but EDGE is available in the UK.
    I'd never heard of EDGE until I started using it on my 8520, and I'm sure I'm
    wrong but browsing etc seems faster than when connected to my home wi-fi.

Hope that helps. Go for it, I would say.

EDGE is seriously that good?

I have been holding back until now, looking at the onyx and salivating.

I'm basically worried that the 8520 will be useless at facebook/twitter/internet when i'm not connected to WI-FI.

Do any of you find that?
    10-21-09 05:18 PM
    LOL do you really use that word, salivating? Anyways EDGE is about 6X faster than GPRS, but no way faster than wifi. What makes you think the 8520 will be useless at those apps? Seriously though, if you don't mind spending more $$ wait till the 9700 landed in stores.

10-21-09 05:41 PM
    Currently in the market for a new phone.

The only smartphone i've had before is an iPhone, and HATED it. Hate touchscreens, hated the fact that it was so basic (no delivery reports, no text forwarding even) and hated poor signal in areas where other phones on the same carrier have awesome signal strength.

Currently have a Sony Ericsson C905 - fantastic phone with best camera on a phone i've seen, but now irritated by lack of facebook, twitter, e-mail and general internet features.

Smartphones FTW!

After doing some research i've discounted Windows Mobile (although am SOOO tempted by HTC Touch Pro 2 ) discounted android as the phone's are currently "meh" and all touchscreens (FAIL!) bar the G1.

BlackBerries FTW!

More research pushed me into the arms of a Tour, but lack of wi-fi = FAIL in my opinion.

Finally settled on waiting for 9700 "Onyx", man that phone looks awesome, but it's going to come with a VERY high price tag sim free in the UK. Seriously, it's going to be about 2.5X as expensive as the Curve 8520

The Curve 8520 has caught my eye lately though. Reasons include touchpad, (trackball = FAIL in comparison) it looks great (possibly the best looking BlackBerry of them all in my opinion), price is low sim free in the UK, has wi-fi, screen looks more than acceptable, buttons all look solid and usable.

Basically the Curve 8520 looks like it could fit my needs perfectly without forking out 2.5X the money.

Negatives? Camera is rubbish with no flash it seems and lack of 3G (fine for me at home where there is no 3G, but I work in a UK city where 3G is awesome, so i'll be stuck to GPRS when i'm not in wi-fi range it seems? I don't think there's EDGE in the UK is there? Otherwise think it's either 3G or GPRS, in which case this could be a deal breaker fail? )

Anyway, basically looking for your help. Kind of a "convince me to get a curve 8520" thread, but not quite

Any help appreciated!
    Your way of writing is really irritating. Everything is either FAIL or ftw. Ever heard of too much internet memes in one post?

10-22-09 10:05 AM
    I have owned:
    -Blackberry 7100i
    -Blackberry 7290
    -Blackberry 7780
    -Blackberry 8100
    -Blackberry 8220
    -Blackberry 8300
    -Blackberry 8520
    -Blackberry 8700
    -Blackberry 8800
    -Blackberry 8900
    -Blackberry 9000
    -Blackberry 9530

And I must say, the 8520 is the second best phone I've ever owned (next to the 8700, those things are tanks). The trackpad leaves the trackball in the dust, the OS is snappy, the media controls are great, keyboard is awesome, web browsing is very fast for EDGE, always holds a good signal, has a solid feel and feels good in the hand, the rubber on the casing really helps for holding the phone.

Go for it.
    10-27-09 08:31 PM
    Yes, you can get EDGE in the UK but it depends on the carrier, I know Orange has it as my girlfriends phone uses it on her pearl. I'm with Vodafone, I'm not sure if I'm getting edge or not as I seem to be getting EDGE sort of speeds with the browser but I'm only showing GPRS on the phone. Also, with the WiFi, Orange phones can use UMA (uses a wireless broadband connection to make calls etc. in case you don't know what that is) and Voadfone doesn't have this. I think O2 might also have EDGE. I don't have experience with any other carriers.

As for the phone, it's brilliant. I switched from a 9500 and despite the lack of 3G and GPS I haven't regretted it one bit.
    10-28-09 01:49 PM
    So ButtonBerry, you must have got your phone by now?! Whatcha go for?

10-28-09 03:51 PM
    i want a 8520 too... ): you guys are making me consider buying one!
    10-28-09 08:00 PM
    I bought the white 8520 less than 24 hours ago.
    I've always had Nokia phones and always loved them but wanted something different.
    I'm still trying to find my way around the phone and am hoping to build my typing speed so I can text quickly again but I LOVE it!
    I wanted black but phones 4 u were out of stock and now I'm actually glad I chose the white.
    This site has been great so far for helping me out!
    Anyone fancy chatting on BBM then let me know,
    11-01-09 03:36 AM
    I bought the white 8520 less than 24 hours ago.
    I've always had Nokia phones and always loved them but wanted something different.
    I'm still trying to find my way around the phone and am hoping to build my typing speed so I can text quickly again but I LOVE it!
    I wanted black but phones 4 u were out of stock and now I'm actually glad I chose the white.
    This site has been great so far for helping me out!
    Anyone fancy chatting on BBM then let me know,
    Whats your pin?!
    11-01-09 09:43 AM
    don't know what it is a i can't seem to figure it out! I've tried how it tell's me on here but to no avail! I think I'm just a bit slow! lol
    11-04-09 02:32 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD