Hello,
    I am looking to update my phone to version 5.0 due to its extravagant features. However, I do not believe T-Mobile supports this version. I was wondering what i can do about this and if there are any consequences for doing so.
    Thanks,
    BB Fan
    05-22-10 09:35 PM
    Hello,
    I am looking to update my phone to version 5.0 due to its extravagant features. However, I do not believe T-Mobile supports this version. I was wondering what i can do about this and if there are any consequences for doing so.
    Thanks,
    BB Fan
    You can go ahead and upgrade your phone to the latest firmware. The current official os 5 is from a carrier from overseas, so you'll have to delete t-mobile's vendor xml file in order to take advantage of the upgrade. Follow the instructions below on how to do it and enjoy.

PS: t-mobile will not send a goon squad to enforce negative consequences for updating your phone.

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's device:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!

3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device
    05-22-10 10:41 PM
    You can go ahead and upgrade your phone to the latest firmware. The current official os 5 is from a carrier from overseas, so you'll have to delete t-mobile's vendor xml file in order to take advantage of the upgrade. Follow the instructions below on how to do it and enjoy.

PS: t-mobile will not send a goon squad to enforce negative consequences for updating your phone.

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's device:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!

3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device

Those are the steps but if xolanir would let me add a couple of things I would say:

1. When you delete the vendor.xml file > disconnect from the internet and turn off the Mobile network on your BB since it tends to get some information and downloads the Vendor.xml

2. The loader.exe way had worked with many but problems had started to occur. So I would recommend the use of an application called CrackMem for the installation part.

3. Run CrackMem and then choose the OS you've installed earlier

4. Click on Wipe Device . . it will ask you to write BrickMyPhone -> write it

5. Follow the installation instructions afterwards and you'll be Fine
    05-23-10 06:37 AM

3. Run CrackMem and then choose the OS you've installed earlier

4. Click on Wipe Device . . it will ask you to write BrickMyPhone -> write it

5. Follow the installation instructions afterwards and you'll be Fine
    Kudos to you sir!!... I've been looking for a way to update my 8900 to official OS 5.0! thanks to you and CrackMem..
    Last edited by bakasamaz; 05-27-10 at 07:25 AM.
    05-27-10 07:22 AM
    Kudos to you sir!!... I've been looking for a way to update my 8900 to official OS 5.0! thanks to you and CrackMem..
    you're welcome

Glad I could help
    05-27-10 07:38 AM
    This looks awesome! I may take my 8900 to 5.0 but I just want to know, are there are any minor/or major drawbacks or negative effects from doing this?
    06-01-10 10:30 AM
    This looks awesome! I may take my 8900 to 5.0 but I just want to know, are there are any minor/or major drawbacks or negative effects from doing this?
    Nope , as long as you do it right. Some had problems coz their BB's Battery died so make sure your battery is full and don't Interrupt the after-installation reboot ( it takes about 3 to 7 minutes)
    06-01-10 01:46 PM
    Hi bro ahmed.G
    i have blackberry curve 8900 from t-mobile i bought it here in dubai because its cheaper than from Etisalat
    my problem is i cant upgrade my phone to 5.0 os
    i tried many upgrades from many companies ... but nothing happened to my phone
    so i think that i have to wait for T-mobile to upgrade my fone?
    06-04-10 05:15 AM
    Hi bro ahmed.G
    i have blackberry curve 8900 from t-mobile i bought it here in dubai because its cheaper than from Etisalat
    LOL... I'm sorry, but I upgraded my OLD 8900 a long time ago to one of the first Official OS 5.0 versions that came out for the 8900... it easy... check out the new Blackberry 101 lesson: Upgrade using AppLoader... I've even added it to my signature below... don't use Desktop Manager... delete the Vendor.xml file and run the Loader.exe.
    06-04-10 06:15 AM
    Hi bro ahmed.G
    it easy... check out the new Blackberry 101 lesson: Upgrade using AppLoader... ....... ... don't use Desktop Manager... delete the Vendor.xml file and run the Loader.exe.
    Hello amante

fatboy97 gave you the solution to your problem.

It is so easy and a straight-forward procedure. If you found difficulties or had problems using the '' Loader.exe '' way, you can find another link in my Signature to install an OS on a BB

Regards

Edit:
    you can download any operating system you like, even if it is not released by T-Mobile. Delete the Vendor.xml file as it is written in the procedure ( if not release by T-Mobile ) and you'll be fine
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 06-04-10 at 06:54 PM.
    06-04-10 12:26 PM
    Nope , as long as you do it right. Some had problems coz their BB's Battery died so make sure your battery is full and don't Interrupt the after-installation reboot ( it takes about 3 to 7 minutes)
    thanks much dude. I'm about to let it do its thing right now. see you on the other side =D
    06-05-10 02:17 PM
    Good for you

C Ya
    06-05-10 02:33 PM
    sorry ahmed for beting late to post this
    but i tried many versions of the update
    i upgraded for my brother and he have curve 8900 but he got it from axiom telecom it worked without any problem

but with mine it didn't work! i tried many upgrades but no results
    believe its from the T-mobile if it wasn't then why my brother phone accepted the upgrade but mine dint accept?
    06-08-10 08:36 PM
    i upgraded for my brother and he have curve 8900 but he got it from axiom telecom it worked without any problem

believe its from the T-mobile if it wasn't then why my brother phone accepted the upgrade but mine dint accept?
    Try these steps and see if it helps and double check that no other device operating system is currently installed on your pc cos that will lead to no success. Also try using BBSAK to do the os install instead of the apploader. Keep us posted and we will sure get to the bottom of this. Ahmed is awsome and with him on your case, I promise success:

Instructions for installing new os:

1. Back up all important info and any 3rd party apps from device using DM (info - device settings, messages, sms, mms, contacts etc.) & *BBSAK (3rd party apps).

2. Uninstall previouse os from pc (go to control panel--> add/remove program--> uninstall device software, whatever version is already installed) , then install newly downloaded os onto pc. (After installing you will be prompted to restart pc)

3. Delete vendor xml file in c: program files\ common files\ research in motion\ apploader (scroll down and find vendor xml file and delete it)

4. Run BBSAK and connect device to pc. Wipe the device completely using BBSAK.

5. Wiping device will take about 2-5mins and device will initialize and show white screen which will say reload software 507.

6. Click reload os on BBSAK while phone is still connected, and follow reload or os install instructions.

7. Restore all backed up info and apps once os install is completed using DM & BBSAK.

*BBSAK will back-up all your 3rd party apps that are installed on your device before you upgrade the os. Once upgrade is done, you will use it to restore all your apps all at once instead of re-downloading them one at a time.

Entire process should take no less than an hour depending on how much you have to back up and restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 09:08 PM

Follow the steps posted by xolanir above because they are the most reliable steps to upgrade an OS.

Best of Luck
    06-09-10 07:25 AM
    Hey guys so I opened the Loader.exe file and everything goes well until I get to the app loader page. Mine is completely blank and it won't let me continue unless I "add" an application. what am I supposed to do?

I'm running DM 5.0 btw.
    06-09-10 01:55 PM
    Do you have any other Operating Systems installed on your PC ?
    06-09-10 02:37 PM
    Do you have any other Operating Systems installed on your PC ?
    i figured it out just finished installing the new OS b/c of your pdf file thanks!
    06-09-10 02:48 PM
    i figured it out just finished installing the new OS b/c of your pdf file thanks!
    Glad you did ! . . . Good for you

That's why I wrote it in the first place
    06-09-10 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD