I recently bought an AT&T blackberry Curver via eBay. I can make calls no problem with my GSM sim, but when I try to setup email with it I dont have an option to setup a personal email, I only get 2 options (set up enterprise email or skip email setup).

I spoke with AT&T and they told me the AT&T branded curves can't be unlocked to use the email features, is this true? Is there away around this?

Also I tried setting up the Internet Service Email with my local provider but when I register with my pin and IMEI it tells me I am registered with another provider (AT&T) and need to re-register. Is there away to fix this aswell?

Any help would be much approciated.

Ben
    06-12-07 07:47 AM
    "...AT&T told me the AT&T branded curves can't be unlocked to use the email features" - I've never heard such rubbish!

Either AT&T have to remove the pin / imei number from it's present account, or the original owner has to do it. Would be easier, and quicker if the original owner did it...

Alternatively, call AT&T, and have them transfer you to RIM. If you call RIM directly you'll have to pay...

ps: Welcome to CrackBerry.com
    06-12-07 08:12 AM
    Thanks for your help. The phone was brand new when I bought it off eBay so I dont know why I cant register it with my provider. I can't seem to find an email to contact AT&T on, do you know of one.

Also will reloading the OS with the O2 version make any difference?

Ben
    06-12-07 09:04 AM
    Try going to cingular.com/blackberrystart and set up your personal e-mail account there. Hope that helps.
    06-12-07 09:11 AM
    I am not a cingular customer. I bought the phone off eBay, I need to be able to unlock the email features so I can use it with my current provider.
    06-12-07 05:56 PM
    did you buy it locked or unlocked?, i bought mine through ebay locked, once i get it i have to get it unlocked so it can be used by any other provider.
    thats what you have to check, if it was locked or unlocked, if it was purchased locked, go right back to ebay and search for one of the unlocking auctions, there is one that can unlock in hours, and get it unlocked.
    06-12-07 07:11 PM
    Benzine78, try what I said earlier...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-07 07:47 PM
    Either AT&T have to remove the pin / imei number from it's present account, or the original owner has to do it. Would be easier, and quicker if the original owner did it...
    navilyn - how exactly does the original owner (me) remove a PIN/IMEI number from an account? Am thinking of selling my AT&T Curve to a buddy who wants to use it on Rogers.
    Thanks!
    06-14-07 12:47 AM
    ofelas, do you now have another BlackBerry? If yes, log into your present BIS account, and add the new (replacement) Pin / IMEI number. Doing so will move the present one, and thus allow someone else to add it to their BIS.

Alternatively, call Customer Service, and have them do it...
    06-14-07 06:19 AM
    Thanks for that info navilyn..
    Another question - my username "ofelas" on Verizon's BIS website does NOT have anything to do with any other carrier's BIS website, right? That means I can have the same user name "ofelas", for example, on T-Mobile's BIS website if I choose to?
    06-14-07 10:26 AM
    Right, because the domain is different for each:

@tmo.blackbery.net
    @mycingular.com etc, etc,
    06-14-07 10:48 AM
    Thank you sir, that was some succinct, clear info!!
    06-14-07 10:58 AM
    Hi guys,

I recently bought an unlocked AT&T blackberry curve 8810 (I really love it) I cant use the email just like the previous people said. I called AT&T and they said they cant do it unless I have an account with them

I even went to the cingular/AT&T BIS site and I was able to create an account but since I have no number with AT&T my emails are not forwarded to my BB. I'm on the rogers network in Canada. Since I made the account will that give me any additional problems. The BB is brand new and was never registered before. Really what my question is, has anyone actually been able to do this, have them unregister the BB from AT&T and use it on Rogers network? I'll pay the 55$ RIM charges bugt I just need to make sure otherwise I will have to resell it

Thanks
    Last edited by monchito7; 11-30-07 at 09:50 AM. Reason: wrong word used
    11-30-07 09:49 AM
    I also purchased my Curve from ebay. I also had problems setting up my e-mail. I contacted the seller and he informed me that his BB account had already been cancelled. So, I called AT&T and set up my BB account and kept it moving.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 11-30-07 at 08:35 PM.
    11-30-07 08:33 PM
    Has there been any resolution on this? I have this EXACT problem, also buying a "brand new, never used, unlocked" AT&T curve from eBay.

Navi, what does having AT&T transferring me to RIM do? What should I be asking them? I don't nor have ever had a contract with AT&T, so I'm not sure what footing I am supposed to be standing on. Is it simply telling them my scenario, i.e. I can't register this Curve with my local provider (I'm abroad in South Asia), and need it released? How come it is "registered with another provider" despite being never used?

By the way, is there a way to check IMEI online as an alternative to going to the Provider's storefront?

Thanks ever so much in advance, guys.
    03-15-08 08:33 AM
    I am based in the UK and had exactly the same problem with my new Blackberry (Curve) account even though I bought it brand new fron the provider! - after several frustrating hours playing around with it - and calling all sorts of people from RIM to BT to Vodaphone - I finally got through to someone knowledgeable at BT (my provider) who admitted that they had simply failed to switch it on - took about 30 seconds!
    03-17-08 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD