Dear friends,

I'm in need of a help. My girlfriend's handheld just fell into water. The LCD immediately dimmed and the phone turned off. I have pulled the battery out.

Please tell me what to do, is there anything that can be done to help it?

Thanks,

Emil
    Last edited by fahrinandi; 08-02-09 at 08:53 PM.
    08-02-09 08:44 PM
    Don't put the battery back in and get a bag of uncooked rice. Place it in a baggie with the rice for around two days and the rice will work its magic. Just don't try eating the rice afterwards! lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 08:57 PM
    Don't put the battery back in and get a bag of uncooked rice. Place it in a baggie with the rice for around two days and the rice will work its magic. Just don't try eating the rice afterwards! lol

Should i cover the whole thing with the rice, or i just place the handheld ON the rice facing upward?
    08-02-09 09:17 PM
    Should i cover the whole thing with the rice, or i just place the handheld ON the rice facing upward?
    Put a layer of rice in a bowl, then the phone, then cover the phone in another layer. Let sit for 24 to 48 hours and should be all set. Cross your fingers.
    08-02-09 09:19 PM
    Good luck, man!!

08-02-09 09:28 PM
    Mt friend had this issue a long time ago and used the rice trick, so it should work for you!

08-02-09 09:31 PM
    Crossing my fingers.... will update in 3 days...
    08-02-09 09:47 PM
    I have washed my BB twice and the rice trick has worked for me both times.

08-02-09 09:59 PM
    I had a similar problem with my 8100 after I first got it. It fell in a gutter during a storm and I wasn't able to fish it out until about 45 minutes later. I left it sitting out for about 4 days, put everything back together, and luckily it has worked ever since. I'd never even thought about using rice to absorb all the water. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

As an aside, my 8100 has been dropped in water once or twice and dropped in general MANY times. I <3 the Blackberry's for being such rugged, dependable phones.
    08-02-09 10:14 PM
    I have washed my BB twice and the rice trick has worked for me both times.

Any cosmetical damage left??
    08-02-09 10:14 PM
    Sorry to hear, hope the berry survives
    08-02-09 11:48 PM
    Good Luck to you. Thanks to this forum, I learned the rice trick. Dropped mine while getting a pedicure, put it in rice for 3 days and it's fine. My battery didn't have water damage but the phone did and it works perfectly.

Hope it works for you!
    08-03-09 02:17 AM
    Any cosmetical damage left??
    Nope... it was in my pocket so it didn't get scratched or anything.
    08-03-09 04:47 AM
    yeah ive heard this trick works. is it true if you put the battery early you might get long term damage to the phone. thats what some people say.
    08-03-09 11:12 AM
    @ Brollic, yes it is true! It's basically like pouring water on a live/turned on electronic. It'll fry the internals of the product.

Last edited by skullgame45; 08-03-09 at 12:26 PM.
    08-03-09 12:23 PM
    Updating the condition of the 8900,

After burrying the handheld & battery in a container filled with uncooked rice for 3 days (i added 1 more day just to make sure).... The phone came back to life! All the softwares are working, responsive keypads, working trackball, speaker, microphone, camera, flash, etc.

The rice worked like a charm, thank you guys for the help.

Emil
    08-06-09 10:23 AM
    Updating the condition of the 8900,

After burrying the handheld & battery in a container filled with uncooked rice for 3 days (i added 1 more day just to make sure).... The phone came back to life! All the softwares are working, responsive keypads, working trackball, speaker, microphone, camera, flash, etc.

The rice worked like a charm, thank you guys for the help.

Emil
    I'm glad it worked for you.
    08-06-09 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD