Okay, I just received my first blackberry device (8900) last week! whoooohoooo. And I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Last night when I got home, I was unable to stay connected to UMA and instead I had Edge. (im not well spoken in these terms, bear with me). I am connected to my internet at home through my phone. I have entered all the information in. It automatically loads up to the UMA and WI/FI when I get home. But last night, it didn't connect at all, and stay on Edge, and that was disabling me from even going online. Can anyone tell me why this is? Is this normal? Are there just inconsistencies with the connection, and this is normal? I went to get the most out of my blackberry, Thank you.
    08-13-09 01:40 PM
    Check the WiFi and UMA Guide links in my signature.
    08-13-09 01:46 PM
    Even after connecting properly and such you might still notice this. I am running 5.0 and my UMA goes off and on sometimes even though I'm still connected to wifi. Just make sure your wifi logo is white and not grey.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 03:41 PM
    Okay, I just received my first blackberry device (8900) last week! whoooohoooo. And I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Last night when I got home, I was unable to stay connected to UMA and instead I had Edge. (im not well spoken in these terms, bear with me). I am connected to my internet at home through my phone. I have entered all the information in. It automatically loads up to the UMA and WI/FI when I get home. But last night, it didn't connect at all, and stay on Edge, and that was disabling me from even going online. Can anyone tell me why this is? Is this normal? Are there just inconsistencies with the connection, and this is normal? I went to get the most out of my blackberry, Thank you.
    When you have your mobile connection set as preferred and not only it will switch to the stronger signal type. Try setting it to wifi only if you have good wifi coverage in your home and see if that helps.
    08-13-09 04:37 PM
    Same thing here, been happening since i got my phone, i got two replacement phones and this still happens, i loose the UMA signal and then the call drops! This doesnt happen all the time though, i get one bar on mobile network but im still able to talk!! very annoying tho
    08-13-09 11:52 PM
    Check the WiFi and UMA Guide links in my signature.
    That actually worked for me! I've had UMA troubles ever since I got my 8320 in July of last year. My BlackBerry would not stay connected to UMA for more than an hour at a time but I did have a lucky run with my 8900 one night where it stayed connected for a good 5-6 hours which is when I went to bed. It was still connected in the morning.
    08-14-09 12:04 AM
    I had a lot of very spotty experiences with UMA since getting my 8900. It was always good for SMS / MMS / Email and web browsing, but any time I took a phone call, it would simply drop the call after about a minute. This made phone over UMA impossible from my home office.

I found various guides to tweaks, try a number of them, and came to bunch of settings that have improved my own experience dramatically. Since putting these in, I've had virtually continuous UMA connectivity at home, excellent data / mms / sms / email, and best of all, my calls are loud, sound great, and NEVER drop.

Here's where I posted details:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ml#post3257928
    08-14-09 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD