Okay, I called Sprint.
    I currently have the everything whatever plan that is $69.99 and includes 450 talk minutes and everything data.

I got cut off like everyone else in this forum from being able to tether.

What I'm doing is going to a "Talk 450" plan for $39.99 and adding an "Unlimited Sprint Data/Blackberry" package for $39.99 a month. This package includes "Bonus Modem" and unlimited data. Now we're at $79.98 a month, just $10 more a month, and it appears I've only lost Sprint TV. No big deal, never use it.

Hold the phone, now she's telling me I have to pay extra for texting. $15 a month. Now I'm $25 a month more just to be able to tether??? Unacceptable.

My company gets 1000 text messages included with their "Unlimited Sprint Data/Blackberry" package, but apparently not me.

Yes, she was quick to verify that these devices were never intended to be released with free tethering or to have it included at no charge with the everything data plans. That was a "mistake" on Sprint's part that they have recently fixed. She said they are also getting many phone calls about this every day. Please call and complain. The more calls they get, the more good it might do. 888-211-4727

On hold while she's trying to get me a better "deal".

No deal. Texting is now $20 a month more, so now I'm up to an additional $30 a month to be able to tether and I loose some features from "Everything Data"

Forget that! I had her roll it back to my $69.99 plan. Goodbye tethering! AND, when my term is up, GOODBYE SPRINT!
    10-21-09 05:20 PM
    Story gets better.

I come to work today and I realize that I'm no longer getting updates from our BES server at work.

I call Sprint and they tell me that the girls from the night before forgot to add it back on. I say "Forgot to add it?, This is an Everything data plan. There should be nothing to add" Sprint tells me, oh no, BES is an extra $20 per month on top of your $69.99 a month plan. I explain to her that I have had it for 11 months and have not been paying more than my $69.99 a month. She then tells me, that must have been a mistake and you've been getting a pay service for free all this time. Sorry, nothing we can do.

In short, to get the same service I had 2 weeks ago, I now have to add BES for $20 a month and Tethering for $50 a month, exactly doubling my current bill.

These were services I was told by a Sprint Representative at the Sprint store would be included at no charge with "Everything Data". What does "Everything" mean exactly?

Whatever Sprint... Read between the lines.
    10-22-09 05:09 PM
    Ok this is in response to gbTheater. I did the same thing. Went from the unlimted data plan that was 69.99 to the 450 plan for 39.99 and blackberry internet for 30. They told me to use phone as modem it was only 15 extra and the absolute only thing I loose is any mobile any time minutes. Still have unlimited text and everything. So I have no idea what they have done to your plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 06:20 PM
    Well, Comcast (or whatever cable company) didn't know it, but I had pay-per-view for about a year and a half now, and I've been watching the heck out of some nudie flicks... Now they've closed that loophole, and I can't watch my nudie flicks...

wahhh wahhh wahhh!!!!

Why are people complaining about something that they were getting for FREE that they were not supposed to have? Oh well, my tethering got cut off, too bad, so sad. If you're using your Blackberry that much for data, you're the reason why others have to suffer slow data speeds.
    10-22-09 06:48 PM
    I am also a victim of the "Simply Everything" BS. In English, everything means don't come back and ask for more money after you get your $69. Also I only tethered for a few days after my airphone was stolen and Sprint started pretending that I didn't insure it. Can't wait for my contract to end.
    10-22-09 07:46 PM
    Well, Comcast (or whatever cable company) didn't know it, but I had pay-per-view for about a year and a half now, and I've been watching the heck out of some nudie flicks... Now they've closed that loophole, and I can't watch my nudie flicks...

wahhh wahhh wahhh!!!!

Why are people complaining about something that they were getting for FREE that they were not supposed to have? Oh well, my tethering got cut off, too bad, so sad. If you're using your Blackberry that much for data, you're the reason why others have to suffer slow data speeds.
    Sorry but from what I've been reading here, on sprint forums, blackberry forums and what happened to me. That compareason doesn't quite apply. Most of us that are complainning about the change is cause we were told by the sales rep that tethering was included with our plans. Heck the only reason why I didn't renew my 3g internet card service at the time I renewed my other 3 lines is because the sales girl told me that I didn't need a 3g card due to that tethering was included with my phone plans and that I would be saving $50 a month...

10-22-09 09:36 PM
    Sorry but from what I've been reading here, on sprint forums, blackberry forums and what happened to me. That compareason doesn't quite apply. Most of us that are complainning about the change is cause we were told by the sales rep that tethering was included with our plans. Heck the only reason why I didn't renew my 3g internet card service at the time I renewed my other 3 lines is because the sales girl told me that I didn't need a 3g card due to that tethering was included with my phone plans and that I would be saving $50 a month...

Being lied to is a different thing; in that case, I'd be mad too. It just amazes me that people complain about losing something that was a perk. Sprint's website had always stated from day one that tethering is not included.

10-22-09 09:45 PM
    Well I've checked the site and haven't found the part that states tethering not inclueded, but I did check the part of Sprint - Software Downloads - Select your device type and looked at the smart view for the 8330 and it doesn't state anything about additional charges. All it says there is to use your BB as a modem to download the program.

I spoke yesterday with Latasha Y. Harris VIP Executive AnalystExecutive & Regulatory Services and she told me that Sprint sent out a mailer (hard copy) that indicates that they will be correcting the "flaw" of tethering for free on the October Bill... Guess what? I'm holding the bill as I type now... No no mailer, I've been upgraded to Sprint Premier status (if that means anything ahhahahahaha) and my sister whent over her 450 mins... Again!!!! Hahahahaha

But yeah no mailer... Guess she ment in the November bill wich has yet to arrive.

10-23-09 02:04 AM
    even though it was free, would have been nice to be notified they were discontinuing it so users wouldn't be wondering what happened! Conveniently happened to me on Oct 1st the first day of their new any mobile, anytime update....so no more tethering but can call anyone mobile...ok
    10-23-09 10:42 AM
    yeah i went ahead and juz got comcast high speed interent for 25 bucks a month. bleh. its fast enough for me to play xbox 360 live and that matters hahah .
    10-23-09 12:01 PM
    I am a Sprint employee and am in no means in love with the company or a sprint fanboy. Nor did I take the time to see if this was an old thread, or read each and every post. Just here to say at my store and most other stores every rep knows the rules and exactly what to inform the customer. Tethering only worked with your everthing data plan because you have a blackberry. It was never and will never be included with the everything data plans because they would rather you add an aircard. Nowhere in any brochure or anywhere else does it say that tethering is a service included in your plan and is does say that the unlimited data is limited to services on the phone including web, email, navigation, sprint TV, so on and so forth. I can sympathize with customers that were lied to by sales reps who knew that it could work but said that "it was included" even though it wasn't and in all honesty if you were told that I go see the rep who helped you and they can give you a service credit. I tell each and every one of my customers the same thing "though it can work it is only supported by blackberry and not sprint, and sprint does reserve the right to block your phone from doing it at any time." By the way my phone as modem stopped working about a month ago as well because it isnt included in the employee phone plan either. But as i said earlier there is no way you will win a class action law suit, the fine print for every plan clearly states all of these facts and on your contract that you signed it also clearly states that Sprint reserves the right to change things like this at any time without your consent. I wish mine worked as well
    Last edited by elefant1624; 10-25-09 at 12:11 AM. Reason: I cant spell
    10-24-09 11:46 PM
    I'm getting the same error, but I have phone as a modem included in my plan.
    10-26-09 12:56 PM
    can anyone solve this issue?
    tetherberry works but without bluetooth
    10-27-09 03:22 AM
    I came across this error this morning as I was trying to use SmartView. I talked to a rep and this is what the rep told me:
    BlackBerries on Sprint do not use the network from them but use the network from RIM. RIM mistaken putted in the code to allow the tethering. But after RIM found out they took it out. She then told me that it makes since cause BlackBerry was the phone that could do this and this would not be fair to others who do not have a BlackBerry. She tried to offer me a lower talk only plan and add unlimited data and text and another 15 a month for pam. I was like no thank you I am not going to downgrade and pay more.
    11-03-09 07:01 PM
    Sigh

Alright

I guess its tetherberry for me then

11-03-09 07:05 PM
    She then told me that it makes since cause BlackBerry was the phone that could do this and this would not be fair to others who do not have a BlackBerry.
    If that was the case, I wouldn't have been able to tether with my Moto Razor V3, or the samsung I had before that. What they did was figure out a way to shut the dial-up connection off that most folks used to get the connection to work, unless you pay for the tethering. And, for some reason, with any of the unlimited plans, "the plan is not compatible with phone as modem"
    11-03-09 07:59 PM
    The only reason I got this BB8330 was because of the tutorial video on sprint that showed them using the phone as a modem. DAMN SPRINT!
    BTW
    with tetherberry how much usage per day is 5gb per month?
    ANYONE??
    Last edited by grantikal; 11-04-09 at 05:26 PM.
    11-04-09 05:24 PM
    The only reason I got this BB8330 was because of the tutorial video on sprint that showed them using the phone as a modem. DAMN SPRINT!
    BTW
    with tetherberry how much usage per day is 5gb per month?
    ANYONE??
    i am on the 3rd day of the trial for tetherberry. using firefox with 7 tabs open. one was on a message board page loaded with gifs. i had tetherberry running for about 6 hours that session and only had a total data transfer of 58 meg up and down. this even included a couple 3 minute long youtube videos.

anyone know if tetherberry is going to offer another discount?
    11-05-09 08:02 PM
    Bottom line is that Sprint is a corporation that will do anything it can to make as much money as possible regardless of whether it is ethical or not. They use their vast resources to gain more resources at the expense of the common consumer.

I have no sympathy for them or any poor sap who is brainwashed enough to defend them. I will take whatever I can from Sprint every chance I get. I have paid them thousands of dollars over the past 5 years and have always been treated like a number.

Unlimited data is exactly that. It doesn't matter what the fine print says, it says UNLIMITED at the top in big print. It is not up to some underhanded MBA to dictate how I use that data. I will use it anyway that I please.

AND SO SHOULD YOU!
    11-13-09 01:34 AM
    Ok Sprint employee (J. P. Hatfield), first off, no one’s getting anything for free. We pay for these data plans. You expect people to believe that Sprint had no idea people tether their phones? Not to mention, the fact that they provide the tethering software (SmartView) right from their site. They even boast that you can “Use your phone as a modem”. …. No, this is what happened…some wise guy in a corporate meeting had the grandiose idea to cut people off from using their “unlimited” data plan (which they pay for), NOT FREE as you like to refer it, to tether. Instead make them instead purchase a wireless device ($49.99 /month). Then let’s act as though people are crazy to expect to use their data plan (which they pay for), in ways we even promote and let’s cut them off.
    It’s all about the $. Sprint has spoken loud and clear. Here I come, Verizon! Now you can get down off your soapbox and get back to your cube….
    Last edited by Jberry_056; 01-30-10 at 10:27 AM.
    01-30-10 10:18 AM
    Amen, SORDID
    01-30-10 10:20 AM
    Ok Sprint employee (J. P. Hatfield), first off, no one�s getting anything for free. We pay for these data plans. You expect people to believe that Sprint had no idea people tether their phones? Not to mention, the fact that they provide the tethering software (SmartView) right from their site. They even boast that you can �Use your phone as a modem�. �. No, this is what happened�some wise guy in a corporate meeting had the grandiose idea to cut people off from using their �unlimited� data plan (which they pay for), NOT FREE as you like to refer it, to tether. Instead make them instead purchase a wireless device ($49.99 /month). Then let�s act as though people are crazy to expect to use their data plan (which they pay for), in ways we even promote and let�s cut them off.
    It�s all about the $. Sprint has spoken loud and clear. Here I come, Verizon! Now you can get down off your soapbox and get back to your cube�.
    01-30-10 10:26 AM
    I know this is kind of a dead post...but #1- I am in for a class action lawsuit! (It's an "everything data plan"! EVERYTHING! IMPLYING EVERYTHING including PLANS or PRGRAMS SUPPORTED by the CARRIER! SMARTVIEW is a SUPPORTED program through Sprint and hence SHOULD be under the "EVERYTHING" statement! It doesn't say "EVERYTHING EXCEPT SMARTVIEW" Correct?) Send me an email and I'll sign up! Let's NOT let this get kicked to the wayside!
    The bottom line is what diffrence is it what "data" I use? If it goes to my laptop OR phone! Just limit the bandwidth then!!!! It says UNLIMITED data! So regardless of the program I use (Smartview OR Tetherberry) I should get UNLIMITED DATA THROUGH my phone!
    #2- I too am THROUGH with SPRINT! Terrible "support"! The people seem friendly enough but the rest of it can pound sand! I even sold my SPRINT Stock today! And I suggest you ALL do the same if you own any! I think this is just one step in the line of MANY that proves Sprint is a POORLY managed company!
    #3- So....who DOES allow free tethering? I USED to run PDANET on my Moto Q9c and I think that "masked" it and was not showing as a PAM. Not available for my 8830 as O/S 4.5 is not supported. I am NO longer under contract from Sprint and think I am going to jump ship SOON! I am going to try Tetherberry 1st I think. I HOPE there is a discount available!

Bottom line......You who "defend" Sprint's decission to cut out tethering are IDIOTS! When you buy something as Sprint has worded it (See #1 above) you can NOT CHOOSE what "everything" you want to support! Sprint is IMPLYING (And I almost PROMISE you this WILL hold up) what they say...EVERYTHING! Show me where it is pointed out EVERYTHING does NOT include SMARTVIEW! If you can do that.....I will eat crow!

Everything/Unlimited Data SHOULD be just that! It's NOT!
    Last edited by demopedro; 02-04-10 at 01:05 PM.
    02-04-10 01:02 PM
    I guess I should not be surprised that there are those who remain who support Sprints "right" to 1) have their CEO advertise "unlimited plans", (2) Have their in-store people say you "can tether on unlimited plans w/ no extra charge (3) have their phone reps say the same (4) back out in every way.

As long as simpleminded corporate slaves exist who say "OK where do I pay more" there is no incentive to be honest and accurate rather the incentive is to be deceptive and fraudulent when their lackeys will support their fraudulent position. By the way these are the same morons who said the well safety protocols BP used were adequate and allows the BPceo claim he was out of the loop. These people are simply the lowest of the low-simply put they are corporate slaves willing to support any position of their master. These are the people Jay Gould meant when he said "I can always hire half of the poor to kill the other half". "Kill" is a euphemism.

My position is that I will try to get my smartview, or other program, up so I can access the internet via laptop at no extra charge-LIKE THEY STATED I COULD BEFORE I SIGNED UP.

Failing that I will file a formal complaint with the Attorney General and find an honest carrier - other than Sprint.

Corporate groupie/slave/minions be damned - let them keep chasing the bait and switch......

I'm in for class action too...
    Last edited by merlin333; 06-23-10 at 06:42 AM.
    06-23-10 06:35 AM
99 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD