The MiFi frees you from having to search out a Wi-Fi hot spot by providing instant wireless access using Sprint's EV-DO EV-DO Revision A network. It supports up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices (laptops, MP3 players, gaming devices, etc.), and unlike the Verizon version, Sprint's model supports the MiFi's GPS capabilities so you can use it with location and mapping applications. The MiFi also includes WPA2-PSK, WEP, and SPI Firewall security features.

will this work with out 8350i?
    05-16-09 01:28 PM
    from what i have read its a WIFI router for 3G.

How MiFi works
    MiFi creates a personal cloud of high-speed Internet connectivity that can be easily shared among up to five users and a variety of WiFi-enabled devices through its connection to America's most dependable 3G network, the EVDO Rev A Sprint Mobile Broadband Network.
    Gizmodo.com

seeing how the 8350i is not a 3G phone, i would have to say it will not work....
    05-16-09 03:09 PM
    Well, it could work. You'd need a sprint data account for the 3G router or card that goes in it. At that point it will broadcast a wifi signal available to those devices within short range. If you're within range of it with your 8350i you could then use the wifi features.

The ability to share a 3G connection I believe has really held back subscribers.
    I can think of 2 people I personally know who've been waiting for something like this. They're too rural for cable or dsl but have decent sprint signals at home. They have more than one pc, and while the modems are usb and moveable, it's a pain at times.
    05-16-09 04:17 PM
    from what i have read its a WIFI router for 3G.

How MiFi works
    MiFi creates a personal cloud of high-speed Internet connectivity that can be easily shared among up to five users and a variety of WiFi-enabled devices through its connection to America's most dependable 3G network, the EVDO Rev A Sprint Mobile Broadband Network.
    Gizmodo.com

seeing how the 8350i is not a 3G phone, i would have to say it will not work....
    The phone being 3G has nothing to do with it. This is a device that will provide a 3G internet connection via a "WiFi Signal". Essentially providing the opportunity do ditch your ISP and go strictly Sprint. So yes, the 8350i will work just as it would with any other wireless router on the market that it is compatible with.
    05-16-09 06:25 PM
    The phone being 3G has nothing to do with it. This is a device that will provide a 3G internet connection via a "WiFi Signal". Essentially providing the opportunity do ditch your ISP and go strictly Sprint. So yes, the 8350i will work just as it would with any other wireless router on the market that it is compatible with.
    agreed... BUT you will have 2 bills.... sorta speak. you would have your regular bill (from sprint) for your 8350, and the you would have yet another bill from sprint to have access to the 3G network.... since the 8350 does NOT work on it. so yes you are right it would work... for what $100 piece of hardware (after rebate) and $59.99 per month.
    05-16-09 06:32 PM
    agreed... BUT you will have 2 bills.... sorta speak. you would have your regular bill (from sprint) for your 8350, and the you would have yet another bill from sprint to have access to the 3G network.... since the 8350 does NOT work on it. so yes you are right it would work... for what $100 piece of hardware (after rebate) and $59.99 per month.
    Not trying to be argumentative casper, but I think that you are missing the whole point of the device. Let me give you an example. My wife is an audit accountant. She and 4 of her staff regularly spend days on end in a clients office here they all use individual wireless cards @ $59.99 a month to access their VPN back @ the home office. Now with this new MiFi, they will have only 1 bill of $59.99 and they will all be able to share the connection on thier individual laptops. The same principle could be applied to home users looking o replace their ISP bill of some amount per month. And yes, no matter the situation, if the 8350i is it range it will be able to connect.
    05-16-09 07:07 PM
    no i totally get what your saying. take me for example, i have wifi at home (great wifi and iden service), but if i want wifi when i am out at a job site or at the tracks on the weekends im SOL. but i would not want to spend the $$$ for this. actually, the company my dad works for just switched from nextel to t-mo... he asked me if i wanted his usb air adapter for my laptop.... i looked up online how much it would cost me per month and it was not worth it. btw, they cost the same.

so i can see it being beneficial for some companies to get this, like in your wifes situation,but not all, and i really dont see any 8350 personal BB users going out and buying this.... unless they really want wifi all over the place and have the $$$ to do it.

i see your view from a "group" point of view, but i was looking at the individual user.
    05-16-09 07:34 PM
    I'll wait for Wimaxx.
    05-16-09 07:54 PM
    I'll wait for Wimaxx.
    isnt that 4G?

according to wiki....

WiMax

Sprint Nextel holds licences in the 2.5 GHz band sprint currently introduced its first WiMAX operation in Baltimore under the brand name XOHM

Sprint 4G

Sprint is currently rolling out its flavor of 4G by utilizing WiMAX technology. It will allow customers to access cable broadband like speeds wirelessly.

On October 8, 2008, Sprint launched WiMax in Baltimore and is expected to launch soon in more cities, such as Chicago and Philadelphia.

and if it is 4G, will NEXTEL get Done| again???
    05-16-09 08:06 PM
    Yes it is but being a computer geek I use wimax

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 11:53 PM
    i am currently in south eastern part of florida fort pierce to broward county truck driver here. so what is wimax and is it extra also and is it or will it be in florida south region anytime sone
    05-17-09 09:28 AM
    wimax is not out country wide as yet. its the next evolution.. verizon is going with LTE or Long Term Evolution. they both offer faster speeds but use different schemes... pricing is not final but it should not be a huge price increase.. if any. you WILL have to upgrade your device to a wimax enabled handset/device...

your current device will still be able to ride on wimax it just will not get the speed increase/features wimax will have...
    05-17-09 10:30 AM
    I have a mobile router and a sprint card in it it is pretty much a dream come true for my 8350i I have it hooked up in my car so wherever my car is I have a hotspot and if Im away from my car I can take it with me and it runs on a battery for around 2 to 3 hours. It pretty much works with any sprint usb card and it allows 4 or 5 connections at 1 time. It is pretty crazy all the features this router has and its about the size of a deck of cards

Ebay item number 290315381795
    05-19-09 09:53 PM
    Lookin @ that now MuDDuq ... may pull the trigger ....

05-21-09 08:20 AM
    i have a program, wmwifirouter, that is installed on my htc touch pro. basically that program turns the pro into an access point. so oncei fire up the program, the curve sees the access pooint and i am using sprints evdo rev a network on the curve via wifi. i can also use it thru bluetooth as well.

i have had my ipod touch connected thru the htc touch pro and even a friends laptop who didnt have a broadband card but had wireless..

its a nifty program and works...
    05-21-09 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD