Yesterday I spilled water on my curve. I'm not sure how much water was spilled on the device. It took me about three minutes to realize that the water had gotten on the device.

I wiped it off and it appeared to work fine. When I tried to use it, I couldn't control the keyboard. I can scroll using the ball, but I can't answer the phone, look at my text messages or anything else...I can just scroll up and down.--The keyboard and screen are lighting up fine...it's just that when the light goes out, I can't push any keys to make it come back on, as I can't control the keyboard.

So, I took the battry out overnight and reconnected it this morning...still, nothing.

Is there anywhere I can take this to get it fixed? I don't mind paying, I just want the thing fixed because I have a lot of saved SMS text messages that I need to keep.

PLEASE HELP.

K
    03-29-08 07:47 AM
    First thing would be to get the battery out and leave it out. Stop trying to get it to work until it's completely dried out. I'm on wap so I can't post a link to the rest of the steps to take, but if you search the forums here, you'll find it. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-08 07:56 AM
    Check the water damage stickers, see what bits need replacing. Call your carrier and ask if they have a record of your SMS that they can resend to a replacement.

03-29-08 08:22 AM
    Leave battery like bdhes said for at least 4-5 days in a warm place. You could also try placing it in a bag of rice which helps to dry out the bb faster.
    03-29-08 08:24 AM
    What I hear everyone saying is that it might me battrey related. How about if I just buy a new battery? Do you think that will work?
    03-29-08 01:31 PM
    I've also heard that canned compressed air works well too. Good luck!!

03-29-08 01:36 PM
    What I hear everyone saying is that it might me battrey related. How about if I just buy a new battery? Do you think that will work?
    Nope, not buy a new battery! Just get the battery out of the device ASAP and leave it out until the device has a chance to dry out completely. Electriciy and water do not mix. This is a very touchy area, your phone may work and may not after drying out, but if you leave the battery in it, or get impatient and try to check to see if it'll work too soon, you stand a good chance of frying your phone, and the carrier won't replace it if it's water damaged.
    Place the phone without the battery in it on top of a warm dry device (I used my computer last time, dry and warm on top of it), and let it dry out for a few days. ( I would recommend three, but...4 or 5 is better). Then after you've let it dry, try the battery again and see what happens.

There's another option about placing the phone in a bag of dry rice, the rice draws out the moisture in the device, but I've never tried that, logic says it should work.

I hope you get this fixed, being without a berry is a terrible fate!

B
    03-29-08 02:00 PM
    The last post is exactly right. Remove the battery - you've done that.
    Put the BB in a warm place - you've done that.
    Leave it therer for a day or so before you try anything else.

Later..... remove the SIM card and clean it with clean tissue and put it back.
    When you are certain that the BB really is dry, put it all back together and try it. There is a very good chance that it will work fine.

Mostly water - even from a faucet will not damage electronics provided that the widget was switched off. Mostly electronic stuff does not like water whilst it is working but once the water has gone, more often than not the device will start up normally again.

The big dangers with water getting in the electronics are long term (hours, days) corrosion, residue left on the circuits by trace elements in the water and, in the case of the device being power up at the time of the wetting, short circuits. Here, the screen is the most vulnerable but these are fairly well waterproofed.

Taking these in order, if the wetting has been long term then a longer drying out is required. Even so, a long term soaking is often fatal. Corrosion by trace elements is usually a mnor problem todays since faucet water is generally pretty pure (as a pecentage). Short circuits are instant and mostly do not affect battery devices like phones - except for the screen and its electronics.

I think that you BB will most likely come back to life. Let's hop so.
    03-29-08 03:27 PM
    Oh, I forgot, don't do the rice thing. Yes rice is hygroscopic and will therefore soak up water but it is also full of rice dust which may get into your BB and make a nice gooey, cement mix if it mixes with the water.
    03-29-08 03:30 PM
    I used to have a Pearl until my son decided to take a bath with it. It was under water a good 4-5 minutes. I ran out the next day and bought a Curve (had a good reason to ) and let the Pearl dry out for about 2 weeks or so. I left the battery out of it and the back cover off. I used a hair dryer set on low warm to dry it the night it happened and let it sit the rest of the time. I gave it to my mom after that cuz her phone died and she has had no problems wiith it. It has been 3 months so far (knock on wood) and counting. Good luck.

03-29-08 03:35 PM
    Three words:bag o rice

03-29-08 03:51 PM
    Three words:bag o rice

Please see my previous post. DO NOT use rice. It is full of dust that forms a nice gooey mess with the water which then sets hard.
    03-29-08 04:49 PM
    Thank you everyone. I'm feeling much better about the possibility of my phone working after it dries out. I don't think it's completely shot because the last time I powered the phone up, the graphics were fine...I just couldn't control the keyboard.

I went out and got some rice, but I'm not sure about using it now because pete was talking about the rice having dust that might get into the phone...Has anyone ever done that before?

I AM going to let the phone stay in a warm dry place for a few days and see what happens.

The phone AND the battery right?

Anyone else have any comforting testimonies or other methods to try, PLEASE let me know.

Thank you again sincerely,

Kescha
    03-29-08 07:43 PM
    I used to have a Pearl until my son decided to take a bath with it. It was under water a good 4-5 minutes. I ran out the next day and bought a Curve (had a good reason to ) and let the Pearl dry out for about 2 weeks or so. I left the battery out of it and the back cover off. I used a hair dryer set on low warm to dry it the night it happened and let it sit the rest of the time. I gave it to my mom after that cuz her phone died and she has had no problems wiith it. It has been 3 months so far (knock on wood) and counting. Good luck.

Thank you for this post!

K
    03-29-08 07:45 PM
    Check the water damage stickers, see what bits need replacing. Call your carrier and ask if they have a record of your SMS that they can resend to a replacement.

Where can I find the "Water Damage Stickers?"
    03-29-08 07:46 PM
    Your welcome.
    03-29-08 08:48 PM
    Depending on which carrier you're with, the insurance covers water damage. I'm with VZW so it covers water damage. Just pay the deductable, ours is 50 bucks, exchange it and start over brand new again. Your choice!!

03-29-08 08:55 PM
    Depending on which carrier you're with, the insurance covers water damage. I'm with VZW so it covers water damage. Just pay the deductable, ours is 50 bucks, exchange it and start over brand new again. Your choice!!

Thanks, but I want to keep this phone...I have some SMS texts and other information I need.

Thanks

K
    03-29-08 09:29 PM
    I've used the rice and it does work. Mine was dropped in a airport toilet and it was some hours before I got home to put it in rice and it was fine the next day. It did not leave dust or goo on it. i would use the rice again if my phone ever got wet.
    04-15-08 06:47 AM
    I think if you're careful, when placing the phone on top of rice, it should be ok. No "rice dust" should ever fly around and go inside the phone unless you shake the rice or disturb it a lot.

04-15-08 06:56 AM
    I have tried the rice trick 3 times on my daughters phone & it works. You take a plastic baggy, fill it half way with un-cooked minute rice. put your phone in there with the battery compartment open & battery out. Leave it there for about 24 hours.

All three times my daughters phone has recovered. Hope this helps you!!
    04-15-08 06:56 AM
    yay, for pete you are now my fave crackberry guru. mahalo plenty!
    07-04-08 03:41 AM
    yay, for pete you are now my fave crackberry guru. mahalo plenty!
    Rice it. Then begin drinking heavily. Good luck

07-04-08 04:35 AM
    Try the rice. just wrap in a paper towel or coffee filter w a rubber band and dust is not a factor. just happend to us. the BB 8830 curve came back on but keyboard will not function yet. trying another days worth. then i will eat the rice. LOL
    09-12-09 05:17 PM
    oh! UNcooked rice! lol
    09-12-09 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD