All,

I have been receiving several spam SMS's from [email protected] for the past couple of weeks. The message comes in as some 4-digit number like '3616' and then states that Community Choice C.U. is asking me to call 1877-608-3610. On receipt of the first message I called the number to find out what it was exactly and it is an automated message saying that there has been fraudulent activity on my credit card etc... and to enter in my info blah blah blah... definitely some sort of phishing scheme.

Has anyone else been experiencing this and is there anyway to stop it? I contacted T-Mobile customer care and they said that they have heard of some spam smsing going on and are 'looking' into it.

Thanks,

Ishta
    08-11-09 11:26 PM
    Someones got yopur number from somewhere! All my apps ask me for permision to do everything. I stop a lot of activities every boot up!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 11:46 PM
    respond stop to them!
    08-11-09 11:46 PM
    I've read about hacking via sms, however, it usually consists of like 200+ texts at once with a complex string for the phone to not recognize what response to take, hence putting it in a vulnerable state. Iphones could be controlled with that string but a firmware update fixed that from happening. Just be careul. If you get plenty of texts at once pull the battery and contact customer service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 11:55 PM
    i was getting the same sms text about every couple of weeks, i text a reply stop and have not gotten one since. will wait and see if it ever starts again
    08-12-09 08:14 AM
    Well if the stop thing doesn't work, you can always go to options-security options-firewall and check the block "sms" and "mms" boxes and then go down to where it says "except messages from" and check the "contacts" box. This will block all incoming messages from numbers that are not in your contact list.
    08-12-09 08:53 AM
    Only from at&t. I get 1-2 of them a month. Either telling me about Facebook or how I can send a friend a picture, movie or audio file.

I like ecooper11's note on blocking numbers NOT in my contacts list.
    08-12-09 04:49 PM
    I actually just started getting them with my Blackberry. This is my first ever Blackberry and I never got them with previous phones. Coincidence? I dunno. All I know is I'm VERY careful with where I give my phone number and even use a fake phone number for most things. Very few people/places have it and I can trust all of them so take from it what you want.
    08-12-09 11:15 PM
    Once in a while I'll get "ΔO" from no number. All it has is those two characters and where it should have the name or address, its blank.
    I find that one pretty frustrating/questionable.
    08-12-09 11:24 PM
    My sister got one about strange credit card activity, I told her to ignore it. But ever since I got my blackberry, a bunch of people have been calling looking for this guy... I just ignore the calls now, I've even gotten voice mails from the police department looking for him. Anyways, to spam texts ever since.
    08-12-09 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD