My son had his blackberry next to the shower while he was in the shower. the phone quit responding. It was on but none of the buttons worked. The roller ball would move the sursor but that was it. .... He has NO INSURANCE on the phone due to it being discontinued over too many claims. ANyway I took the phone apart and blew air into it, then dropped everything into a bag of rice for a few hours. when the phone was reassembled everything now works.....for about a minute then the radio shuts off. The keys and everything all work now but when he turns the radio on it will come on and even allow a call, but after about a minute it shuts back off. Any suggestions? I told him to put it back in the rice and leave it for a whole day.
    09-11-09 12:31 AM
    Might have to invest in buying a new one or a used one, it all depends on your financial situation though. I have mine insured just for water damage and theft, other then that I have someone who can fix my BB for me for dirt cheap when needed.

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 12:34 AM
    I'm stumped, I was going to suggest the rice as well for a day or so and see what happens. I don't know why the radio goes out though. Just try more rice I guess and report back.

09-11-09 12:35 AM
    Might have to invest in buying a new one or a used one, it all depends on your financial situation though. I have mine insured just for water damage and theft, other then that I have someone who can fix my BB for me for dirt cheap when needed.

Thnx, �Tripster�

Kids broke , lost his job one month after signing a one year lease on an apartment. I am loaned out also, so if he doesn't get this one fixed he is screwed I guess. He broke or lost several phones and the insurer dropped his coverage, the ONLY reason he was able to get a berry is I got it REALLY cheap and added it to my account for him.
    09-11-09 12:40 AM
    I'm stumped, I was going to suggest the rice as well for a day or so and see what happens. I don't know why the radio goes out though. Just try more rice I guess and report back.

I cannot figure it out either. I wish he had left it alone in the rice longer .
    09-11-09 12:41 AM
    Did you remember to soak the rice and blackberry in water for 10 minutes first?

Ha ha...
    Don't do that.

Do this--
    My roommate blew up a jar of spaghetti sauce directly into my charging port with amazing force... Here's my rice results: It took 5 days being in rice in an air tight baggie. The rice has to be sealed tight so it has no moisture from the air to compete with the internal components of the device. If you take it in and out of the rice, it won't fully absorb the moisture. Give it 4 days minimum without breaking the seal. I bet you see great results.
    09-11-09 12:47 AM
    Did you remember to soak the rice and blackberry in water for 10 minutes first?

Ha ha...
    Don't do that.

Do this--
    My roommate blew up a jar of spaghetti sauce directly into my charging port with amazing force... Here's my rice results: It took 5 days being in rice in an air tight baggie. The rice has to be sealed tight so it has no moisture from the air to compete with the internal components of the device. If you take it in and out of the rice, it won't fully absorb the moisture. Give it 4 days minimum without breaking the seal. I bet you see great results.
    will do.. thanks
    09-11-09 12:59 AM
    Kids broke , lost his job one month after signing a one year lease on an apartment. I am loaned out also, so if he doesn't get this one fixed he is screwed I guess. He broke or lost several phones and the insurer dropped his coverage, the ONLY reason he was able to get a berry is I got it REALLY cheap and added it to my account for him.
    Sorry to hear that, send me a PM with your email address and I will look for a used one for pretty cheap and I can see if my buddy can fix it up so its like a brand new one.

I don't do this often but I am willing to do this just for you if you want me to? What model does he have, by the way?

Thnx, �Tripster�

Last edited by Tripster; 09-11-09 at 01:05 AM.
    09-11-09 01:02 AM
    Sorry to hear that, send me a PM with your email address and I will look for a used one for pretty cheap and I can see if my buddy can fix it up so its like a brand new one.

I don't do this often but I am willing to do this just for you if you want me to? What model does he have, by the way?

Thnx, �Tripster�

Wow, that's really nice to offer.

You see, OP, whether you ask or not, you shall receive here at the CrackBerry forums.

All the same, hope the rice works out. There have been several reports of success around here, so you just never know.
    09-11-09 01:52 AM
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but did it occur to you that your son may not be responsible enough to be owned by a Blackberry?

09-11-09 02:13 AM
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but did it occur to you that your son may not be responsible enough to be owned by a Blackberry?

Oh, please be kidding. We're not really going to go through this, are we?
    09-11-09 03:34 AM
    Never take your BB in the bathroom, all kinds of BAD things can happened in there. I speak from experience.
    09-11-09 04:37 AM
    I'm gonna say if the phone is still not working after staying at least a week in the rice bag the motherboard is FUBAR.

09-11-09 09:15 AM

Thnx, �Tripster�

THANK YOU! pm sent.
    I MAY be in luck as I checked my account last night and it says we are eligible for an upgrade on one of our lines. We have a neighbor who is in terrible shape financially and health wise. They travel back and forth to doctors a lot with no phone or really even the money to make a call. We activated another line on our account and gave them an old phone we had here. I guess it was old enough that it was eligible for an upgrade almost immediately.
    I appreciate all of the advice, and your offer.
    09-11-09 09:44 AM

yeah probably , but that doesn't solve the issue of how to fix the device that he is not responsible enough to own.
    09-11-09 09:45 AM
    I'm gonna say if the phone is still not working after staying at least a week in the rice bag the motherboard is FUBAR.

probably. I can't figure why everything works now though and the radio keeps turning off.
    09-11-09 09:46 AM
    THANK YOU! pm sent.
    I MAY be in luck as I checked my account last night and it says we are eligible for an upgrade on one of our lines. We have a neighbor who is in terrible shape financially and health wise. They travel back and forth to doctors a lot with no phone or really even the money to make a call. We activated another line on our account and gave them an old phone we had here. I guess it was old enough that it was eligible for an upgrade almost immediately.
    I appreciate all of the advice, and your offer.
    Your very welcome, PM replied.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-11-09 09:53 AM
    Here is a better tip for a water damaged /soaked phone.. I was on my pool deck and my lovely wife decided to shoot me with water with a water cannon.. Hit the phone dead nuts.. inside of screen was full of water.. I didn't want to do the rice trick so I sat there and thought how could i take the water out and dry the phone and than it hit me (no not more water).. A dehumidifier.. Took the battery out and got some string and a nail.. Bent the nail to make a hook and tied the string to the nail head and hooked the nail to my back of phone and hung it in front and touching the front of the Dehumidifier.. Every 2 hours I would flip the phone and after 10 hours i decided to put the battery in and You guess it, not even a sign of water in the screen and phone booted perfectly.. What you think?? Better than Rice?? Yes Rice is cheaper but this was very fast results..
    09-11-09 10:20 AM
    son is here now with the phone....radio will turn on and stay on for a few minutes then shut off. you can turn it back on and it will shut back off after a couple minutes.
    09-11-09 12:14 PM
    Here is a better tip for a water damaged /soaked phone.. I was on my pool deck and my lovely wife decided to shoot me with water with a water cannon.. Hit the phone dead nuts.. inside of screen was full of water.. I didn't want to do the rice trick so I sat there and thought how could i take the water out and dry the phone and than it hit me (no not more water).. A dehumidifier.. Took the battery out and got some string and a nail.. Bent the nail to make a hook and tied the string to the nail head and hooked the nail to my back of phone and hung it in front and touching the front of the Dehumidifier.. Every 2 hours I would flip the phone and after 10 hours i decided to put the battery in and You guess it, not even a sign of water in the screen and phone booted perfectly.. What you think?? Better than Rice?? Yes Rice is cheaper but this was very fast results..
    If that water had chlorine in it, it is only a matter of time before the BB goes bad. The chlorine residue on the circuits will corrode the tiny metal circuit tracings on the main board causing all kinds of problems.
    09-11-09 02:06 PM
    Ohiosteve my phone was used and it would shut down for no reason.. I tried reloading os, battery different locks but it kept shutting down. No answer but I am using another phone with no problems.
    09-11-09 02:52 PM
    If that water had chlorine in it, it is only a matter of time before the BB goes bad. The chlorine residue on the circuits will corrode the tiny metal circuit tracings on the main board causing all kinds of problems.

Yes it has Chlorine in the pool.. As of now which is about 30+ days since it happened, its still running great.. If it fails, I hope it fails before November..
    09-11-09 04:25 PM
    Yes it has Chlorine in the pool.. As of now which is about 30+ days since it happened, its still running great.. If it fails, I hope it fails before November..
    Storm 2?
    09-11-09 04:53 PM
    Dehumidifier? Brilliant!

09-12-09 02:25 PM

Nicely put! LMAO!
    09-12-09 10:30 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD