Hi Everybody,

Just stumbled over this page of total craziness and registered.
    Cause I've waited so long to get me a real gadget, got a ton of Qs.
    I was heading for the Curve 8900 for a close partnership through my studies.

1. Does somebody has got experienced the Epocrates medical software on a RIM Device?

2. I'll using my Phone only as a Phone when I'm on the go. Just need browsing, google sync, RSS at the university. Is that possible without uncomfortable switching Edge off? (I mean a smart connect or sth. like that when finding a free Wifi-Spot)

3. How does Skype with iSkoot? Or is there an official release? (Again only using it when I got a Wifi-Spot)

That's it for now. I hope you can help me.

(And sorry for the bad english. I'm from Germany And we've not really learned it in school )
    05-17-09 04:48 PM
    that doesnt sound at all noob to me! i havent a clue what that stuff is! All i can tell you is curve is an awesome phone and a good investment! good luck getting a proper answer though
    05-17-09 04:53 PM
    Yeah I was just gonna say noob my a**. Haha I have no idea either but yeah you probably know more about this phone than I do. And the english wasn't bad either haha I heard a lot worse

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 01:28 AM
    Well thx but gotta need some help with my Qs
    05-18-09 04:40 AM
    Hi Everybody,

Just stumbled over this page of total craziness and registered.
    Cause I've waited so long to get me a real gadget, got a ton of Qs.
    I was heading for the Curve 8900 for a close partnership through my studies.

1. Does somebody has got experienced the Epocrates medical software on a RIM Device?

2. I'll using my Phone only as a Phone when I'm on the go. Just need browsing, google sync, RSS at the university. Is that possible without uncomfortable switching Edge off? (I mean a smart connect or sth. like that when finding a free Wifi-Spot)

3. How does Skype with iSkoot? Or is there an official release? (Again only using it when I got a Wifi-Spot)

That's it for now. I hope you can help me.

(And sorry for the bad english. I'm from Germany And we've not really learned it in school )
    1 - Looks like it does exist: Free medical PDA software: Epocrates Rx for BlackBerry

2 - You can use the device over WiFi if you like with EDGE turned off.

3 - I have no used iskoot either but I know it is supposed to work, there is an app for the Blackberry on that as well. Depending on your carrier, they may also offer UMA. I am not sure if O2 offers this service or not but I think they do not. I am not 100% on this yet.
    05-18-09 12:54 PM
    Aristile with the save, once again

05-18-09 01:28 PM
    Haha yeah for real.

05-19-09 02:08 AM
    Don't need UMA.

Just need Skype when I'm on Wifi.
    Is there a comfortable solution where my phone is browsing over wifi and reachable over my phone. (like being in the net over wifi WITHOUT turning EDGE or sth. else off)
    05-19-09 02:45 AM
    Don't need UMA.

Just need Skype when I'm on Wifi.
    Is there a comfortable solution where my phone is browsing over wifi and reachable over my phone. (like being in the net over wifi WITHOUT turning EDGE or sth. else off)
    Are you asking if it is possible to make calls over WiFi and also browse the web over WiFi simultaneously? If so, the answer is "no".
    05-20-09 12:24 AM
    I thought part of the 8900's WiFi advantage was that you could do data and voice simultaneously. Perhaps only with UMA?

05-20-09 12:38 AM
    I thought part of the 8900's WiFi advantage was that you could do data and voice simultaneously. Perhaps only with UMA?

Yes, you can. To do so you will need to use both the WiFi and Mobile Network radios simultaneously. From what I understood, the OP wanted to do both simultaneously using just the WiFi connection but I am not 100% sure the OP was asking for.
    05-20-09 12:56 AM
    Yes, you can. To do so you will need to use both the WiFi and Mobile Network radios simultaneously. From what I understood, the OP wanted to do both simultaneously using just the WiFi connection but I am not 100% sure the OP was asking for.
    No. I just wanted to know if it's possible to be available for others via Mobile Network Radio (for calls only) and surfing the internet via Wifi. (Cause I don't have a data plan.)
    05-20-09 02:11 AM
    No. I just wanted to know if it's possible to be available for others via Mobile Network Radio (for calls only) and surfing the internet via Wifi. (Cause I don't have a data plan.)
    You can definitely talk on the phone and surf the web over WiFi. To do this you will need to have both of your radios enabled and connected successfully on your device.
    05-20-09 11:04 AM
    Thx alot aristile for the info.

Another Qs is:

Does the Email-Software on Blackberries (the standard one that comes with the device) function with IMAP / POP Email Clients?
    Again I don't have a data plan nor Push-Email. Just checking my Email when a wifi-spot is available.

I use GMX (Germany) and my Standard University-/Hospital-Account (which is IMAP)

Thx again.
    05-20-09 11:33 AM
    Thx alot aristile for the info.

Another Qs is:

Does the Email-Software on Blackberries (the standard one that comes with the device) function with IMAP / POP Email Clients?
    Again I don't have a data plan nor Push-Email. Just checking my Email when a wifi-spot is available.

I use GMX (Germany) and my Standard University-/Hospital-Account (which is IMAP)

Thx again.
    I have my Hotmail account using Pop3 and my Gmail using IMAP... so it should work with either.
    05-20-09 11:48 AM
    What fatboy is saying here is correct but in your case it doesn't matter because you do not have a data plan. To use the Blackberry Mail Client, you need to first have a data plan.
    05-20-09 12:04 PM
    I have my Hotmail account using Pop3 and my Gmail using IMAP... so it should work with either.
    Here in Germany you need to have a "Blackberry-Option" for Push-Email.
    But I don't have (it costs 5 Euro) so my data won't go via the Blackberry Servers but directly to my phone from the dedicated POP / IMAP Servers.
    Is that possible with the internal Blackberry Email or do I need 3rd party Software?
    05-20-09 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD