Like, seriously, in the spin cycle. For a full 41 minutes.

Needless to say, it don't work. No LED, no screen activity, no recognition via USB connection to the computer. Nothing.

So, I took it apart. I'm curious like that.

Few questions:

1) Is there anything I can "fix" (I'm relatively stupid as to what I am looking at, I see a "motherboard" circuit with the LCD screen attached and the headphone jack and USB port, etc. Then there is the "button" panel (Like my nicknames?!? LOL) where the click-keys sit below the LCD. Then, there is the back panel (where the battery and SIM/Memory cards go) and the front panel, with buttons (those were fun to keep straight!).

I don't know what any of the small components on the motherboard are called, so if there IS something I can try to look at/fix/poke/prod that may help, I'll need a pic or a good hill-billy compatible description (little, round, black, has the numbers "XXXX" on/near it, for example).

I have let it dry (almost a week now) and blown everything out with compressed air, but it still shows no signs of life.

2) If I can't fix it, is there something fun I can do with the parts. Namely the LCD. I'd love to make a tiny TV or something if there are compatible devices I can combine to make something fun.

3) Did I void my warranty?

4) If I can't fix it and I did void my warranty (Yes, that IS a joke, btw) what BB would you guys recommend. I am AT&T, eligible for an upgrade in October and have pretty much committed to staying with BB (I had entertained thoughts of switching over to that Apple phone which shall not be named, but I don't think it's all that and my Curve has been SUCH a good device).

Thanks guys, I hope to see lots of replies. If just to say hello!
    08-10-09 01:00 PM
    If you didn't take out the battery right away and let it completely dry before turning it on, more that likely it's fried...
    08-10-09 01:02 PM
    Well, I actually did. I took the battery out as soon as I fished it out of the washing machine. I put it in a bag of rice for 2 days, then hit it with the compressed air, then let it air dry another day or so.

Then I put the battery back in.
    08-10-09 01:07 PM
    Gotcha, It sounds like it's bit the dust. I recommend the 8900 Curve or the Bold, both are fantastic devices, you will love them...
    08-10-09 01:09 PM
    I had one Curve go through the wash as well. Had it in my jeans pocket while in the shower and my tidy wife came along, picked up my jeans and tossed them in the washer. She always checks my pants pockets but as fate would have it, the one time she didn't...

I've had two more go in the ocean- one while gearing up to go scuba diving, the other while digging clams on the beach...

They've all remained DOA despite dis-assembly, drying, rice- the whole nine yards.

What I've taken to doing is to buy Curves off of my local CraigList. They used to run $100-$150 for a new or nearly new Curve. Now I'm seeing them for $80-$100 (for Curves that are within 3-6 months of brand new). Prices are going to vary region to region of course but you might want to check this out as it sure beats buying a new phone with contract (unless you're looking to get a Tour anyway!)
    08-10-09 01:41 PM
    Crappy! Is your phone clean at least?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 03:59 PM
    I would get a Curve 8900!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 04:08 PM
    dude go bold, but don't wash it this time.
    08-10-09 04:18 PM
    i have a friend with 2 8300 curve for Verizon. work good. one needs a new housing.
    08-10-09 04:31 PM
    buy a cheap bb and wait till the onyx comes out
    08-10-09 04:48 PM
    I do love these projects. I have saved phones worse off...

Spin cycle with the battery in...if the phone was on during this endevour, it could be fried. Honestly it takes A LOT to fry a phone with just the battery!

Stupid stupid question...the battery is probably 90% chance of ruined (ok its 99.9%) from the water. Have you tried to plug it in witout the battery just to see if it tried to boot? (it wont without the battery, but you may get a light or two).

The LCD is definitely gone after that time in the water.

Id try an alcohol bath (I use a sonic jewelry cleaner for problems like this).

its a big but rewarding project if it works. Ive done a couple of them so far and im the most popular person in my clumsy family.
    08-11-09 12:22 AM
    dude go bold, but don't wash it this time.
    LMAO. Just keep that in mind.
    08-11-09 01:00 PM
    Had it in my jeans pocket while in the shower and my tidy wife came along, picked up my jeans and tossed them in the washer.
    that is awesome, wish my wife did that.
    08-11-09 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD