??Is it possible to send an SMS longer than 160 characters? Some pagers support 500 characters or more.

John

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 09:39 AM
    The SMS standard is 160 7-bit characters. Some carriers support an extended standard that gives you 6 160 character pages, but not all do. Many people use the 3rd party app Beyond160. You can buy it from the CrackBerry store, here: Beyond160 - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    06-05-10 09:45 AM
    What in the world is this app? Are you saying I can send longer messages?

06-05-10 09:47 AM
    What in the world is this app? Are you saying I can send longer messages?

Yes, that's the purpose of Beyond160. It allows you to send SMS messages longer than 160 chars. I haven't used it, but many users recommend it.
    06-05-10 09:51 AM
    Wait can I not use this as part of the system or do I have to launch some external app to send messages?

I agree that MMS is problematic as one needs a data plan, and mostly only those on smart phones use.

My girl friend has a texting phone so she can't get MMS messages from me.

06-05-10 09:51 AM
    Beyond160 has a free trial. I suggest you try it. Since I haven't used it, I can't help you with installation or use questions.
    06-05-10 09:53 AM
    Beyond160 has a free trial. I suggest you try it. Since I haven't used it, I can't help you with installation or use questions.
    Reading the reviews I saw more negatives then what I could handle. I'll just live with the 160 characters, and use MMS when need be, or wait until Nov when I can upgrade my BB to whatever is the latest Curve then. I sure hope the latest curve will bring back the flash.
    06-05-10 03:47 PM
    There is no guarantee that a later model BlackBerry will support texting beyond 160 chars unless you are willing to change carriers to one that does. The capability in BlackBerry devices seems to be more common with GSM carriers. Or maybe it just seems that way to me since I'm with a CDMA carrier.

06-05-10 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD