Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but what would've been much more sensible is if VZW had made the request/receipt of confirmations user-configurable, and defaulted to "Off." Then those who really wanted the feature could turn it on, and those that didn't care would never think to change it. VZW would have realized a significant gain in bandwidth without inconveniencing anyone.
    09-21-08 10:43 AM
    mine is still working also
    09-21-08 11:47 AM
    Indeed, South Jersey is out of luck.
    09-21-08 05:46 PM
    I hide my sent messages so I pay no attention to the D anyway. On the issue on important things like running late and picking up kids...this seems like an important issue that would be be handled by a phone call. You call, it goes straight to voicemail. You know the phone is off. You call someone else.

If someone doesn't get back with me after a text, I call, or assume they didnt want to respond. Easy as that.
    09-21-08 06:20 PM
    On the issue on important things like running late and picking up kids...this seems like an important issue that would be be handled by a phone call. You call, it goes straight to voicemail. You know the phone is off. You call someone else.
    So I will call. That won't reduce network traffic now will it? That's their explanation for eliminating it.
    09-21-08 06:42 PM
    So I will call. That won't reduce network traffic now will it? That's their explanation for eliminating it.
    I think the key is that it will reduce network traffic (and decrease used bandwidth) that's being given away for free
    09-21-08 07:38 PM
    I think the key is that it will reduce network traffic (and decrease used bandwidth) that's being given away for free
    I'm not sure how a small ack is less bandwidth then a voice call. And it won't cost me anything to call them. It's either IN network or I'm within my minutes.
    09-21-08 07:42 PM
    I'm not sure how a small ack is less bandwidth then a voice call. And it won't cost me anything to call them. It's either IN network or I'm within my minutes.
    I don't think your usage patterns can be construed as universal across all VZW customers, though. They didn't just shut of your acknowledgments; they shut 'em off for all VZW customers.

I'm sure some customers will call to confirm that a TXT was received, to both IN and non-VZW customers. And some of those will exceed their minutes, too. When that happens, VZW makes more money. When it doesn't, they don't lose anything. With the ACK in place, there's a far smaller probability that customers would make a confirmation call, and therefore an even smaller probability that a customer would use a for-pay service to gain confirmation.
    09-21-08 07:51 PM
    I don't think your usage patterns can be construed as universal across all VZW customers, though. They didn't just shut of your acknowledgments; they shut 'em off for all VZW customers.

I'm sure some customers will call to confirm that a TXT was received, to both IN and non-VZW customers. And some of those will exceed their minutes, too. When that happens, VZW makes more money. When it doesn't, they don't lose anything. With the ACK in place, there's a far smaller probability that customers would make a confirmation call, and therefore an even smaller probability that a customer would use a for-pay service to gain confirmation.
    But there never was a confirmation on SMS to non-VZW customers. So the rate at which people call (or don't) to follow-up on SMS to non-VZW customers won't change as a result of eliminating the VZW-to-VZW confirmation.

What will change is the number of IN calls made to confirm or replace the VZW-to-VZW SMS, resulting in higher network utilization with no corresponding increase in revenue.
    09-21-08 10:09 PM
    The following is a letter directly from VZW:

Good morning. My name is Minerva, and I am happy to assist you in regards to the removal of the delivery confirmation when sending a text message to Verizon Wireless customers.

Beginning September 9, 2008, we are eliminating the text messaging Delivery Acknowledgement notification service to our handsets to free up more of the network's text messaging capacity. We consider the benefits to network capacity and optimization outweigh the service's continuation.

By eliminating delivery acknowledgements, we are able to free up capacity on our network for more of our customer's text messages, emails and voice calls.

Mr. Stout, I do thank you for your feedback in regards to this feature, your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future

Have a great day!

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.

Sincerely,

Minerva
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    That is pure bull****, sorry. It takes what, a 1KB conversation with your phone to confirm a delivery within their network?

Meanwhile, they're hawking live TV and music feeds. Streaming many megabytes of data they can handle, but coughing up a few bits to confirm an SMS is a strain??

Nonsense. Expect to see it as a "value added feature" real soon.
    09-22-08 02:17 AM
    But there never was a confirmation on SMS to non-VZW customers. So the rate at which people call (or don't) to follow-up on SMS to non-VZW customers won't change as a result of eliminating the VZW-to-VZW confirmation.

What will change is the number of IN calls made to confirm or replace the VZW-to-VZW SMS, resulting in higher network utilization with no corresponding increase in revenue.
    While that may be true to an extent, Not all SMS plans include free IN messaging, nor do all voice plans include free IN calling. In addition, I'm sure there are quite a lot of VZW subscribers that don't have an SMS plan at all, paying the standard $.20 per message sent/received . . .
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 09-22-08 at 11:26 AM.
    09-22-08 11:22 AM
    That is pure bull****, sorry. It takes what, a 1KB conversation with your phone to confirm a delivery within their network?

Meanwhile, they're hawking live TV and music feeds. Streaming many megabytes of data they can handle, but coughing up a few bits to confirm an SMS is a strain??

Nonsense. Expect to see it as a "value added feature" real soon.
    The bandwidth in question comes out of the voice/SMS allocation and does not impact data/streaming media/web access. Note that the original VZW message clearly stated "to free up more of the network's text messaging capacity."
    09-22-08 11:35 AM
    Like Lastraid has said. Take that 1KB notification and multiply it by the 67 million customers the Verizon has. Shoot multiply it by half that and that is still a lot of bandwidth. Like I said, if it is important enough that you look to see the "D" to make sure the receiver got it, then it is probably something you should just call about. We have BB, so there are more options then sending a text too. BBM, AIM, Yahoo, email just to name a few.
    09-22-08 11:44 AM
    Lost my notification in South Jersey yesterday, After I thought I was the one who screwed it up, I come to find in my quest of seeking an answer on the internet, that Verizon discreatly removed it without telling anyone.

Reading one article on this, they talk about the real possibility that Verizon may have taken this feature out, which was not due too bandwith and speeding up text messaging, but so that they can offer this as a paid feature later on. I am so pissed off that I wasn't told this and the fact that they have the GPS locked down on all third party apps. such as google maps, and now this. I spend a fortune on two phones and they keep taking and taking that I am thinking of leaving Verizon. if there are any Verizon Reps. reading this, you should be ashame the way you treat your customers. The largest carrier as far as I know, and this is thanks you give your customers for making you number one. I hope enough people leave for other carriers after this, "Can You Hear Me Now"!
    09-25-08 07:07 AM
    I haven't lost it yet but that is pretty crucial for me too. I SMS short strings of data to employees in the field and always look for the "D" before I put the phone away. Now they will have to just reply I guess.
    09-25-08 07:38 AM
    It appears to have been retired as of 9pm EDT here in CT.
    09-25-08 08:44 AM
    I haven't lost it yet but that is pretty crucial for me too. I SMS short strings of data to employees in the field and always look for the "D" before I put the phone away. Now they will have to just reply I guess.
    Which I'm now doing as well. I wonder how much "bandwidth" they are saving with "Ok I got it" vs the "D".
    09-25-08 09:13 AM
    I just sent 2 SMS messages and got the "D" back! Might it be that Verizon heard the cries of the masses? Or is it most likely a hiccup in the grand VZW kingdom?
    09-30-08 11:36 PM
    Still have that going on with my texts

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 11:54 PM
    I just sent 2 SMS messages and got the "D" back! Might it be that Verizon heard the cries of the masses? Or is it most likely a hiccup in the grand VZW kingdom?

My "D" just came back too!!! It stopped working 2 weeks ago & tonight it started working again
    10-01-08 12:33 AM
    They could be back. It is back for me in Northern NJ. There was a post on DSL Reports a couple days ago that a subscriber contacted VZW and the rep said 10/1 it would be back. No one believed him. How long it stays, who knows.
    10-01-08 06:18 AM
    They could be back. It is back for me in Northern NJ. There was a post on DSL Reports a couple days ago that a subscriber contacted VZW and the rep said 10/1 it would be back. No one believed him. How long it stays, who knows.
    Nice.. now let's get GPS working haha..
    10-01-08 06:40 AM
    I am in Tacoma, WA, and I haven't seen it go away, maybe they are going to keep it.
    10-01-08 09:56 AM
    I am getting the acknowledgements again. I am in the Phoenix metro area. They stopped sometime early Sept, but they are back this morning. Good move VZW.
    10-01-08 10:56 AM
    Yeah! Thanx Verizon.
    10-01-08 05:26 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD