you have the option to turn it off if youd like
    AH this will be turned off for you. You will not have the choice.
    09-11-08 07:40 PM
    The following is a letter directly from VZW:

Good morning. My name is Minerva, and I am happy to assist you in regards to the removal of the delivery confirmation when sending a text message to Verizon Wireless customers.

Beginning September 9, 2008, we are eliminating the text messaging Delivery Acknowledgement notification service to our handsets to free up more of the network's text messaging capacity. We consider the benefits to network capacity and optimization outweigh the service's continuation.

By eliminating delivery acknowledgements, we are able to free up capacity on our network for more of our customer's text messages, emails and voice calls.

Mr. Stout, I do thank you for your feedback in regards to this feature, your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future

Have a great day!

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.

Sincerely,

Minerva
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    09-12-08 09:28 AM
    Well I should have know to come to my friends at CrackBerry. I really liked the D Delivery because I knew that my kids got the messages they claim they did not. Sad to see the feature go.
    09-13-08 02:41 PM
    Here is the scoop I read the other day.

VZW has 99.8% delivery of text messages. Now keep in mind if you have experienced problems, this maybe because of the device or features on your account maybe messed up. Not sure how these were factored into the number.
    09-13-08 03:52 PM
    I am a new BB user that just joined the forum. So hello to all. I just noticed the D not showing up today, I am from NY. It was working yesterday but not as of this morning so I guess it was finally phased out in my area. I thought it was something I maybe had changed on the phone but the Delivery Confirmation option was gone from SMS options. Just wanted to give an update.

Brian
    09-18-08 10:12 AM
    Maybe putting the D in all the Verizon logos and uploading them everywhere will make the Verizon execs. rethink phasing it out.

Seriously, I just can't imagine the network bandwidth being eaten up by something such as delivery confirmation.
    I sent 4200+ texts in this billing cycle... Many to VZ customers.
    09-18-08 10:57 AM
    Welcome Brian.

If you would like to voice your opinion to VZW about the "D", then call at 800-922-0204 and they will note your concern. Management is tracking.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-19-08 at 08:24 PM.
    09-18-08 10:58 AM
    I sent 4200+ texts in this billing cycle... Many to VZ customers.
    Okay so you sent 4200+ messages, now multiply by 67 million customers.
    09-18-08 11:00 AM
    Thanks for the info...I spent the last 5 hours changing settings, resetting the phone, bc i noticed it was gone...it worked yesterday, but 2day, it is gone...I LIKED that feature and will definitely calling them..
    09-19-08 07:38 PM
    Still working here
    09-19-08 08:29 PM
    Feature went out in South Jersey as of Thursday.
    09-19-08 08:59 PM
    Went out in Northern NJ/NYC between Weds evening and Thurs morning.

For the previous post which stated a 98%+ delivery success rate, that number doesn't represent the benefit of the D. Here's an example. I text my wife that the train is running late and I can't pick up one of the kids. Her phone is off. She doesn't get the text message. 2 hours later, she turns the phone on and the message is delivered. So though it was delivered successfully according to Verizon, it wasn't delivered when I needed it to be. If I didn't get the D previously, I could have called the house or one of my daughters phones or a neighbor. Now, how will I know?
    09-20-08 07:38 AM

For the previous post which stated a 98%+ delivery success rate, that number doesn't represent the benefit of the D. Here's an example. I text my wife that the train is running late and I can't pick up one of the kids. Her phone is off. She doesn't get the text message. 2 hours later, she turns the phone on and the message is delivered. So though it was delivered successfully according to Verizon, it wasn't delivered when I needed it to be. If I didn't get the D previously, I could have called the house or one of my daughters phones or a neighbor. Now, how will I know?
    WOW!.

Now take this into account. Her phone is off. Need I say more? If her phone is off this is not VZW network issue. So you see on your phone that the D is not there. you call wife, you get VM. Yes from your end she cannot be contacted. You can make other arrangements for the kids. I am sorry that this can happen.

Bottom line, please inform the wife to keep her phone on. Per your scenario when the phone was turned it was delivered - I rest my case on the 98% this is not a bad rate for over 67 million users of the VZW network.

Please call 800-922-0204 and you can voice your concern, or from your "MY VERIZON" online, you contact VZW with the same concern. Management is tracking the inquiries about the "D".

EDIT: I do agree though, I liked the "D" myself.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-20-08 at 08:03 AM.
    09-20-08 07:46 AM
    lastraid,

The delivery % is meaningless in the discussion of the value of the D indicator if it's successfully delivered 2 hours after I sent it. That's my point. The fact that Verizon would say it's successful so why bother telling the customer doesn't account for the usefulness of the D indicator in my example.

There are many reasons their phones are off. They are in school, at practice (and I'm supposed to pick them up), in a meeting, etc. Delivery and timely delivery are 2 separate things. I didn't say it's Verizon's fault their phone is off, but the indicator would tell me so. Now, my next decision is based not an being alerted (seeing the D), but on the lack of a response.
    09-20-08 08:35 AM
    lastraid,

The delivery % is meaningless in the discussion of the value of the D indicator if it's successfully delivered 2 hours after I sent it. That's my point. The fact that Verizon would say it's successful so why bother telling the customer doesn't account for the usefulness of the D indicator in my example.

There are many reasons their phones are off. They are in school, at practice (and I'm supposed to pick them up), in a meeting, etc. Delivery and timely delivery are 2 separate things. I didn't say it's Verizon's fault their phone is off, but the indicator would tell me so. Now, my next decision is based not an being alerted (seeing the D), but on the lack of a response.
    Like I said, I agree with you 1000%. Thats why I suggest you call or write your concern. Best of luck. Have a great weekend
    09-20-08 08:40 AM
    "Now, my next decision is based not an being alerted (seeing the D), but on the lack of a response."

Good point.

Did anyone ever think this may be a way to [I]increase[I] network traffic, rather than a way to decrease it?

Sending a 1-byte message back as confirmation is small potatoes. (yeah I know it's gotta be tracked too, but.....)

Having a customer send a chargable, pay-fer text message back as a confirmation generates revenue.

The bandwidth consumed by 160-character simple text messages is peanuts compared to voice bandwidth. But getting you to send a $.15 or $.20 message on unused bandwidth is just good revenue opportunity.

Now, if you were on Sprint with your BB, this wouldn't be an issue, because the BB plan includes unlimited text messages (maybe another clue that bandwidth isn't the issue).
    09-20-08 08:58 AM
    this is one of the times that I like living on the West coast, maybe enough people will complain about it before it gets to me that it wont even go away for me, well, I can hope.
    09-20-08 01:22 PM

That's a perfectly good point. If the feature was still there, you would have known that the message wasn't delivered and therefore you would make a call. I love how BBmessenger gives you a 'D' when it gets delivered, then it gives you an 'R' when the other person has read it.
    09-20-08 02:28 PM
    I just called Verizon (800-922-0204) and talked to a very knowledgeable tech who confirmed that Delivery Notification is indeed slated for removal but indeed Verizon is tracking calls. He logged my concern about its removal. In turn, I pointed him to CrackBerry.com – The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers, which he hadn't heard of, and he went surfing the forums while we were on the phone. Maybe he's reading this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 08:48 PM
    I will call, I very much enjoy this feature and am quite disapointed they are discontinuing it without notice. Come on VZW!

09-21-08 12:05 AM
    i love that feature, however mine is still working at least for now....
    09-21-08 12:36 AM
    Mines gone, cut off last night I believe dead on 12:00
    09-21-08 08:50 AM
    I really like this feature. When my kids are out it gives me a sense of "connection" knowing that they have received the message. I'm calling the VZW number now, however I doubt it will make a difference.

09-21-08 09:19 AM
    Management like I said is monitoring calls and emails for this issue. If it does not get it back, like voting you have said your peace and have the right to voice your discontent.
    09-21-08 09:21 AM
    They'll probably charge for the service. Just another way for VZ to nickel and dime. BS!
    09-21-08 09:52 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD