06-09-10 07:49 PM
86 1234
tools
    I have tried many of the suggestions found on this site but nothing has worked. I can send messages but cant recieve plain sms text.
    I have even exchanged my phone hoping that would clear up the issue. But here I am today with the same issue.
    04-20-09 02:02 PM
    This phone doesn't do SMS folks. It does MMS only. It can receive SMS just fine. Sorry that just the way it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 02:46 PM
    This phone doesn't do SMS folks. It does MMS only. It can receive SMS just fine. Sorry that just the way it is.

LMAO... this is true, if you are getting your voicemail notifactions, then your SMS is working... that is the only thing this BB uses SMS for..... should have seen that one!!! good call roland
    04-20-09 02:53 PM

I understand that but I cant receive sms from anyone....

I just dont get it..
    04-20-09 09:11 PM
    I understand that but I cant receive sms from anyone....

I just dont get it..
    the phone DOES NOT DO SMS!!!!! sms on the phone is for you VOICEMAIL NOTIFACTION ONLY!!!!

you mean your not getting any MMS (text messageing). there has been outages reported, best thing to do is call CS and see if your in an outage area.
    04-20-09 09:21 PM
    Now you have entered into my frustration casp! All these peeps and their sad addiction to SMS and its 160 character limit have me on edge. Why not accept MMS and 560 character limit? Oh let me guess. Most of them don't know how to spell without short cuts. LOL what a sad world we live in

Last edited by Roland1969; 04-21-09 at 12:34 AM.
    04-20-09 11:13 PM
    the phone DOES NOT DO SMS!!!!! sms on the phone is for you VOICEMAIL NOTIFACTION ONLY!!!!

you mean your not getting any MMS (text messageing). there has been outages reported, best thing to do is call CS and see if your in an outage area.
    Okay I am not receiving plain text. MMS text messaging works fine. If there is a file or picture attatched to the text it comes through just fine, but if it is sent from someone without a file i do not ever receive it.

Now this phone is provided by work and other employees have the same one. Then why do they get all of their text messages?

I have called support and no fix, exchanged the phone still no fix and looked at and tried advice from this forum and still no fix.

I admit I am new to this type of phone but I have never had issues like this.

Just dont understand.

Just thought there might be somebody that does know what to do.
    04-21-09 10:05 PM
    ok now we are kinda getting somewhere

you said this bb is from work, are they BES???
    you also said that you can receive texts from other employees, but noone else, is that correct?
    04-21-09 10:16 PM
    I just pulled the battery out because I was not receiving text messages.... just put the battery back in and 3 text messages from like 3 days ago just came up! so nice fix for 8350i curve users who are not getting their texts...
    04-22-09 09:59 PM
    depends on what OS your using genius.........if you had bothered to update maybe you would have no text problems....maybe.....*deep sigh*

look....this phone doesn't do SMS. sorry to tell you folks that.....but it just doesn't. When you finally wake up and realize that you can go running off to some other carrier for all I care. But I ask you WHY??????? surely 516 characters is better than 160.....dontcha think?
    04-23-09 08:27 PM
    Actually I think there is a great deal of confusion about text messaging on the Nextel/Boost Blackberries, and on most iDEN phones in general.

Roland1969 is correct in that Nextel/Boost does not, and never has, used a true "SMS" gateway for texting purposes. Instead, they use the Multimedia Messaging Service, or MMS for short. For purposes of Nextel phones, MMS serves the same purpose as SMS, and is even labeled as such, if nothing more than for familiarity reasons.

Sending and receiving MMS is esentially the same as sending and receiving SMS text messages, although, as stated previously, an MMS message does not have the 160 character limit, and an MMS message can contain pictures, video, sound, etc., as long as the receiving phone can handle MMS messages.

If you are using a Blackberry 8350i, once you click on the SMS/MMS icon, the menu should have a "Compose MMS" option, and this is where you would go to create a text message to be sent to another phone or an email address.

Here's a bit of info on MMS vs SMS, in case anyone is interested:
    Multimedia Messaging Service, or MMS, is a telecommunications standard for sending messages that include multimedia objects (images, audio, video, rich text). MMS is an extension of the SMS standard, allowing longer message lengths and using WAP to display the content. Its most popular use is sending photographs from camera-equipped handsets, although it is also popular as a method of delivering ringtones as well. The standard is developed by the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA), although during development it was part of the 3GPP and WAP groups.

MMS messages are delivered in a fashion almost identical to SMS, but any multimedia content is first encoded and inserted into a text message in a fashion similar to sending a MIME e-mail. MMS defines a subset of MIME content formats in the MMS Message.

So at the end of the day, the answer is "yes," the Blackberry 8350i does support text messaging.
    Vavacherie likes this.
    06-08-09 11:31 PM
    my boostberry's MMS is fine. my question is this:

if a person was on their desktop at home,signed onto AIM..how are they able to reach me? usually i can just enter +1 and the # and send IMS from PC to phone. i cant seem to do this with my 8350i boostberry. any ideas as to why?
    06-08-09 11:50 PM
    For purposes of Nextel phones, MMS serves the same purpose as SMS, and is even labeled as such, if nothing more than for familiarity reasons.
    i beg to differ on this. i can prove to you that this 8350 does BOTH SMS and MMS. but for text messaging it uses the MMS side of messaging. and that is where all the confusion starts

here is your proof... you have to change some settings in your profile. do this...

menu
    advanced
    select the normal profile
    now scroll down to MMS.... set a ringtone
    save
    scroll down to SMS.... set a DIFFERENT ringtone
    save
    exit out...

now send yourself a MMS message, text yourself
    listen to the ringtone

now from another phone call yourself and leave a voicemail
    listen to the ringtone

the ringtone you set for the SMS is your voicemail
    the ringtone you set for the MMS is your text messaging
    06-09-09 06:39 AM
    Hi there all.. this is my first post but I want to help everyone out.

This is the easiest way to setup SMS/MMS on your new 8350i.

Step 1 - Make sure you have some type of blackberry plan (everything BB plan, BB pro pack, etc) and hopefully, some type of SMS package (so you're not on pay per use)

Step 2 - Make sure all service books have been sent to your phone ("NXTL" on top right corner of screen also!) A good way to know is that you have the Telenav/Navigation icon on there (or PocketExpress, etc)

Step 2 - Go to Options>MMS settings and make sure "Auto recieve" is set to ALWAYS (by default it is set at NEVER)

Step 3 - Go to your SMS/MMS inbox

Step 4 - Press your BB menu key and choose "Compose MMS"

From there, just choose your contact and start typing. All your SMS text messages will come in through that box also.

I know it's lame, but Nextel and RIM decided to join MMS and SMS as a name. But on the Sprint BB Curves, they're still listed as SMS messages and MMS seperately. So there you have it. All SMS must be sent as MMS!

Have fun and enjoy the slow speeds of the iDen network! haha.. just kidding! well, not really.

ALSO : STEP 2 IS VERY IMPORTANT! If you dont have all the service books sent, "Compose MMS" won't show up in your menu when you go to compose a text!

I work at an indirect store up here near Seattle, WA and I was helping a customer and found this thread when searching Google. Well, I figured it out and I wanted to help everyone. Sadly (kinda) I'm using an iPhone 3G but I truly do miss my blackberry!
    I hope that is the case, cause my friend will b happy to know this. Thanks for the info!
    06-12-09 04:40 PM
    -what allows a person from home,signed onto AIM on a desktop,to IM a person's cellphone? from the list you can put +1 and their number as their SN and then IM a message.

is that SMS or something too? bcuz i want ppl to be able to IM my BB this way and it doesnt work. (yes,MMS fully go)
    06-13-09 12:55 AM
    well there is a way around that cuz i had the same problem...

go to the options --> then MMS --> the under "Automatic retrieval" jus change it from NEVER to ALWAYS and there you go...just open the text and it will be there
    cant do that can somebody help me get this done?
    06-20-09 01:17 AM
    dude those reps are full of ****, dont ever listen to them, half of them know nothing about phones, they are there for the money, the 8350i rocks
    06-21-09 11:35 PM
    cant do that can somebody help me get this done?
    hit your.....

menu button

goto your......

options (the wrench looking icon)

scroll to.....

MMS

click in on the trackball

select your options......

back out.......

save
    06-22-09 05:58 AM
    i beg to differ on this. i can prove to you that this 8350 does BOTH SMS and MMS. but for text messaging it uses the MMS side of messaging. and that is where all the confusion starts

here is your proof... you have to change some settings in your profile. do this...

menu
    advanced
    select the normal profile
    now scroll down to MMS.... set a ringtone
    save
    scroll down to SMS.... set a DIFFERENT ringtone
    save
    exit out...

now send yourself a MMS message, text yourself
    listen to the ringtone

now from another phone call yourself and leave a voicemail
    listen to the ringtone

the ringtone you set for the SMS is your voicemail
    the ringtone you set for the MMS is your text messaging
    Casper I understand what you are saying, but how does it differ from what I said above? You have just confirmed that text messaging on the 8350i is in fact done by way of MMS, and I agree.
    08-01-09 12:24 PM
    A real quick question that u might be able to help with/
    I have searched all over the net and in 3 or 4 forums looking for the answer to this question, "CAN THE 8350i be used for TETHERING" ive heard tetherberry can but nowhere can i find someone with a testamony stating just that/
    So if u know or someone who knows the answer/ i sure would appreciate it
    THANK FOR YOUR SUPPORT

(i dont mean to hijack the thread, sorry)
    08-02-09 01:15 AM
    A real quick question that u might be able to help with/
    I have searched all over the net and in 3 or 4 forums looking for the answer to this question, "CAN THE 8350i be used for TETHERING" ive heard tetherberry can but nowhere can i find someone with a testamony stating just that/
    So if u know or someone who knows the answer/ i sure would appreciate it
    THANK FOR YOUR SUPPORT

(i dont mean to hijack the thread, sorry)
    i dont think so, and even if you could, it would slower than molasses
    08-02-09 09:21 AM
    how 2 fix? it happened after i swapped my sim back from my old boost phone??? is it software or what?
    10-15-09 03:59 AM
    service books
    10-15-09 07:52 AM
    Ok don't mean to speak up again. But here's a good idea contact nextel boost. And tell them to send you your pass code and 4 digit pin and then you'll see the 8350i does sms. Cause a folder called sms in your folder list. Is going to contain this message that sits alone in this folder. And that is proof that that 8350i does do sms they just haven't turned it on iden usa.

10-15-09 08:14 PM
    ahhh the 8350 does NOT do text the way you think it does. you said that you have no MMS service record. they are found in your service books.and since you are on BOOSt you need to reinstall your service books!!!

now back to the whole MMS SMS issue.

whenever you send or receive a text it is done as MMS ONLY!!!!

when you get a voice mail it is SMS ONLY....

want proof?????

in your sound profiles, set your MMS and your SMS to different tones. send yourself a text message, from any cell phone, it will be the tone you set for MMS.

now call your phone, leave a voicemail... the tone you set for your SMS will go off.

its not that its "not turned on" its that MMS is better and nextel opted to use MMS instead of SMS for text messaging.
    10-15-09 09:48 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD