Hey all. Just received my Blackberry 8350i today and I have it all setup except for one major issue I am having. I have realized there is no "compose SMS" option in my SMS/MMS folder. I called Nextel and they said there is no text messaging option on the BB 8350i. If I want to send a text, I have to do it as an email such as, a phone number @messaging.nextel.com or something along those line. WTF is this about. I honestly don't think this lady knew what she was talking about. New phone and don't really think she or anyone is too familiar with it just yet. Can somebody please help me b/c I am extremely frustrated and bothered by this. How is it possible that one cannot send a freaking Text from a Blackberry. That's absurd!!! What is the purpose of having a smart phone? Please reply back...HELPPPPP....BUMP IF YOU VIEW!
    12-17-08 10:34 PM
    BYPASS Nextel Tech Support and call BB Support directly and they can help you. Nextel support have not been trained in the new 8350i yet. It took them 2.5 hours on the phone just to activate my 2 and switch out the new numbers to other exsisting lines/phones and vice-versa (I have 11 lines with Nextel) and I still had to call BB to set up the email.
    12-17-08 10:46 PM
    Did you ever figure this out? Because if what the Nextel rep said is true, this phone is absolute garbage and I won't be buying it...
    12-18-08 04:32 AM
    um i work at a cell hpone and i sold 5 today and they all dont have a sms option
    i call up nextel and they said thsi phone does not ahve text capabilty wtfff??
    12-18-08 02:14 PM
    Hi there all.. this is my first post but I want to help everyone out.

This is the easiest way to setup SMS/MMS on your new 8350i.

Step 1 - Make sure you have some type of blackberry plan (everything BB plan, BB pro pack, etc) and hopefully, some type of SMS package (so you're not on pay per use)

Step 2 - Make sure all service books have been sent to your phone ("NXTL" on top right corner of screen also!) A good way to know is that you have the Telenav/Navigation icon on there (or PocketExpress, etc)

Step 2 - Go to Options>MMS settings and make sure "Auto recieve" is set to ALWAYS (by default it is set at NEVER)

Step 3 - Go to your SMS/MMS inbox

Step 4 - Press your BB menu key and choose "Compose MMS"

From there, just choose your contact and start typing. All your SMS text messages will come in through that box also.

I know it's lame, but Nextel and RIM decided to join MMS and SMS as a name. But on the Sprint BB Curves, they're still listed as SMS messages and MMS seperately. So there you have it. All SMS must be sent as MMS!

Have fun and enjoy the slow speeds of the iDen network! haha.. just kidding! well, not really.

ALSO : STEP 2 IS VERY IMPORTANT! If you dont have all the service books sent, "Compose MMS" won't show up in your menu when you go to compose a text!

I work at an indirect store up here near Seattle, WA and I was helping a customer and found this thread when searching Google. Well, I figured it out and I wanted to help everyone. Sadly (kinda) I'm using an iPhone 3G but I truly do miss my blackberry!
    Last edited by mitch.baltazar; 12-18-08 at 07:30 PM.
    12-18-08 07:25 PM
    Have fun and enjoy the slow speeds of the iDen network! haha.. just kidding! well, not really.
    I'm a new user to blackberrys in general, and the 8350i is my first blackberry, and I was talking to a store rep, and we were talking about 8350i, and was checking out the speed on the iden network, and low and behold, network speed was much quicker then he'd thought... We'd both heard negative things in the past about the iden network being slow and all, but he was damn surprised with the speed on 'internet browsing', with it being much quicker and responsive compared to what he was used to see'ing...
    12-18-08 08:53 PM
    Today at work I took the 8350i training and found it strange that in one of the slides it said "this device doesn't support sms" I was shocked. I didn't have a 8350i with me at the time so I couldn't really see what they were talking about. I guess this was it. Sucks.
    12-18-08 11:34 PM
    damn didnt kno that. make sure i let my friend kno
    12-18-08 11:52 PM
    Is it true you can't text??
    12-19-08 08:57 AM
    Interesting. Im sure there is a way to send, as the above longer post said, its just strange.
    12-19-08 08:59 AM
    Is it true you can't text??
    I've been texting for 2 days now on mine. Some times they are slow, but that is a known for the Nextel network already anyway and not in the phone itself.
    12-19-08 09:18 AM
    Im surprised people still have/use Nextel LOL
    12-19-08 09:26 AM
    My sms/mms on my 8350i works just fine! My only problem is i'm having to hit "retrieve now" when i recieve a text!, but you are able to send pics and text message.

Nevermind on the problem that i stated above! I fixed it myself[on hold for NEXTEL BB support for over 35 mins!!] and now it woks like it should. I also had a problem with the GPS[it would state to turn GPS "ON" even though it was set to "ON"] and i got rid of that problem as well. 8350i working like it should!!!
    Last edited by a12rnulfo; 12-19-08 at 04:07 PM.
    12-19-08 12:44 PM
    When i recieve a text or i want to send i a text, I click the SMS And MMS button, after that I go to reply to a message, but all I get is a message that says "No MMS Service Record, message cannot be sent. You will only be able to Save Draft." All I want to do is know how to send a SMS message so i do not have to deal with MMS.
    12-19-08 03:27 PM
    When i recieve a text or i want to send i a text, I click the SMS And MMS button, after that I go to reply to a message, but all I get is a message that says "No MMS Service Record, message cannot be sent. You will only be able to Save Draft." All I want to do is know how to send a SMS message so i do not have to deal with MMS.
    Something has gotten mucked up. This happened to me twice the first day I changed to my 8350i, and not at all today.
    Solution: Remove battery for 15 seconds, you'll then get back the MMS option in your address book.

And this no SMS is not new, my 7520 treated txt's as MMS as far as naming that function.

John
    12-19-08 03:33 PM
    My sms/mms on my 8350i works just fine! My only problem is i'm having to hit "retrieve now" when i recieve a text!, but you are able to send pics and text message.
    well there is a way around that cuz i had the same problem...

go to the options --> then MMS --> the under "Automatic retrieval" jus change it from NEVER to ALWAYS and there you go...just open the text and it will be there
    12-19-08 04:06 PM
    I am having major issues getting text messages. I spent hour on the phone with tech support, and they have informed me that they are working on a solution as we speak...Sometimes I get all of my text messages at once, don't know why, but I do...HOWEVER, it is still a bad a$$ phone..It is smooth, responsive, and not as cumbersome as it was made out to be..
    12-20-08 09:14 PM
    P.S, I have turned the option onto "Always," and I am still not getting any texts..I can send them, but it will not receive them
    12-20-08 09:18 PM
    I had to spend 3 hours with them resetting my phone and deleting service books but tier two support was able to get my text message rolling again, if you call in just request to get transferred over there right out the bat (that is nextel/Sprint was able to fix mine)
    Good luck!
    12-20-08 11:29 PM
    could anyone be helpfull and send me there service books for sms i have a boost sim card in my 8350i but dont have the option to text or mms...but i heard that i would need the service books and was told if someone had them backup using there desktop manger they coul dsend them by email to someone... so if anyone out there is willing to do so please hit me back up ....ty
    03-16-09 04:43 AM
    COming from an 8830 that I bricked to the 8350i, I was excited to play with a new gadget. I nearly flipped out when I didn't see "sms <contact>" on the menu.

I needed to text my wife a message while I was in a meeting. I sent her a MMS which she promptly ignored because my MMS's are typically foolish pics and such whereas my SMS's tend to be a little more important.

My fix so far (I'm upgrading the OS wireliessly right now): My wife sent me an sms from her phone and I reply to that message. This works and she gets an sms instead of an mms from me. NOw, I just hope I remember not to delete her original message.
    04-16-09 12:51 AM
    Ok I was hoping I could figure this out on my own but I'm getting a headache after 2 days of trying and I have finals to study for. So here is in hopes that someone had the same problem and could help me out please.

I did the sms/mms workaround and it works fine. Gmail as everyone states takes to long to alert but none the less it works! Now my hotmail is a different story. I recieve the date/time and the number that sent me the text but NO TEXT. I go to my hotmail acct and the message is under my inbox but is shows up as "this message has been blocked for your safety" I have to hit the open message link in order to see it.

So if I don't know how to stop windows from blocking my incoming txt. I'm sure if i can do that then the actual txt will appear on my phone. Anyone?
    04-19-09 12:25 PM
    Ok everyone wanting to know about Texting. Yes you can text on the 8350i. nextel doesnt use SMS they use MMS. Most of the crackheads using this phone have been doing it for months now, including me!! if your getting the message that you can only save it as a draft you have to do a hard reset for at least two minutes and then after phone reboots resend your service books. To see if you have the MMS Service Books go to Options>Advance Options>Service Books and look for MMS Client and Nextel MMS Transport.
    If you dont have either try resending your Service books.
    Last edited by PhatCatt; 04-19-09 at 08:31 PM.
    04-19-09 08:28 PM
    Ok everyone wanting to know about Texting. Yes you can text on the 8350i. nextel doesnt use SMS they use MMS. Most of the crackheads using this phone have been doing it for months now, including me!! if your getting the message that you can only save it as a draft you have to do a hard reset for at least two minutes and then after phone reboots resend your service books. To see if you have the MMS Service Books go to Options>Advance Options>Service Books and look for MMS Client and Nextel MMS Transport.
    If you dont have either try resending your Service books.
    I'm not sure if this was for my question. Well I have my service books so it is not that. My txt do get pushed they just don't show up. The number and date shows but not the actual txt. The actual txt does show up but on my Gmail acct. I noticed that on my hotmail acct "online" the messages are bieng blocked. So they push but are bieng blocked. Online I can open the blocked message but through my BB I can't so I can't see the txt. I am almost sure it is a setting on my Hotmail acct I just don't know where to go. So again anyone know anything?
    04-19-09 09:15 PM
    My phone has been working perfectly in regards to texting since the update
    04-20-09 02:06 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD