I've been texting for 2 days now on mine. Some times they are slow, but that is a known for the Nextel network already anyway and not in the phone itself.
    ...... how were you able to text???
    03-03-10 03:29 AM
    hello every one!
    I had the sms and mms problem and it took me 2 months to get them solve...
    write to me and i will attach the service books to you.

Solved.
    Ricardo.
    03-06-10 04:04 AM
    I may not understand the problem here, but I've been texting and sending pictures to my friends without a problem. They were pretty quick too.
    I use 'SMS and MMS' icon in the blackberry.
    03-06-10 08:05 PM
    OK people, If you want your BB 8350i to be able to have the "Compose SMS text" option just follow these instructions, and let me know if it works for you guys:

1) Go to "Options">"SMS Text",
    2) Where it says "Data Coding", change it to & make sure it says "UCS2",
    3)Where it says "Service Center", type: +13348000011 and click "Save",
    4) Try to MMS someone and make sure it sends/receives MMS normally from your handset,
    5) Do a battery pull and now it should appear the "Compose SMS Text" option when you press the BB menu button.

*Note: I'm a Nextel postpaid customer so I'm not sure if it works for Boostberrys, so just let me know =)
    03-23-10 01:13 AM
    it still sends it as a MMS...... been there tried that. and then once you do that the compose sms stays there and its the default, all you did was just limit yourself to 170 characters.
    03-23-10 06:00 AM
    um i work at a cell hpone and i sold 5 today and they all dont have a sms option
    i call up nextel and they said thsi phone does not ahve text capabilty wtfff??
    I text on my 8350i all day long!
    03-23-10 09:37 AM
    So are you creating texts as a contact, then using MMS to send it? Because when I click on Compose MMS, it goes directly to my contact list.
    03-24-10 04:08 PM
    Err no. It goes directly to your contact list so you can select who to send a text to. Clicking on a contact will then take you to the compose page.
    03-24-10 06:46 PM
    ok this doesnt work so whats the point of showing us how to put it in our menu.
    03-24-10 11:22 PM
    nothing works better then the boostberry lol. Nextel with a contract is rediculous and they are very slow ppl. My wife had the 8350i with boost and she texts all the time with ease
    how's her email working for her? and her bbm? how about her facebook app?
    03-25-10 06:44 AM
    nothing works better then the boostberry lol. Nextel with a contract is rediculous and they are very slow ppl. My wife had the 8350i with boost and she texts all the time with ease
    This is somewhat true.... like Scott asked, how are those things working for her?

When I had my 8350, i was able to text all day long also... and i had a contract with Nextel. If it was not for Nextel, Verzion and ATT would not have PTT!!! Nextel was the pioneer of it...
    03-25-10 08:11 AM
    it still sends it as a MMS...... been there tried that. and then once you do that the compose sms stays there and its the default, all you did was just limit yourself to 170 characters.
    You're totally wrong my friend!... Since I got the "Compose SMS text" option on my BB 8350i, I can now send real SMS. How do I know? Well, I tested it when I was talking on the phone and tried to send a SMS text to a friend I was talking to at that moment, and she said she got it almost instantly. You all perfectly know that we cannot send MMS while we're on a phone call because it uses the Nextel Data and MMS is data, so this one went through!! How could you miss that one, my friend???... You're just right about one thing, SMS is limited to 170 characters =)
    03-26-10 08:09 PM
    You're running the SouthernLinc OS on your phone arent you? That number you gave us is their SMSC number. Those of us running a pure Nextel OS will only screw ourselves as Casper stated.
    Last edited by Mr_Eddie; 03-26-10 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added pure
    03-26-10 09:54 PM
    No Mr. Eddie, I'm on the Nextel iDEN Network and my BB OS is v4.6.313 and Yes, I'm using the Southern Linc SMSC number just for outgoing SMS, not incoming. I still receive SMS as MMS. I'm calling Sprint/Nextel BB support to set up the incoming true SMS tomorrow or Monday . It should be configured as some people got the true SMS both outgoing/incoming working as it should
    03-26-10 11:10 PM
    he was probably on wifi also.

and WHY WOULD YOU LIMIT YOURSELF TO 170 CHARACTERS OF TEXT????? come on, use your head. ya threaded messaging is nice, but your LIMITED!!!!!!!!
    03-26-10 11:17 PM
    Yeah the South Alabama area code vs New York location is what threw me off (I have friends all over that area). I have my towers number but it still wont take SMS from my phone. I could live without SMS if MMS was grouped (or threaded if you want to call it that) by caller. I've been trying since I got the phone to get SMS to work. Correction been trying to find a grouping/threading app that'll work with the 8350i. They all seem to be SMS based thus my interest.
    Last edited by Mr_Eddie; 03-26-10 at 11:30 PM.
    03-26-10 11:21 PM
    Hello everyone ! I really hope that this information is good and I hope to save you time and a bad time, since I went thru this whole bad situation. I want to let Sprint PCS know that in order to have a good phone such as this BB 8350i they need to train their representatives about this phone, nobody seems to know what is going on about their new phones. I spent almost 1 hour in the phone with a Sprint PCS/Nextel representative trying to work my 8350i and he end up telling me that this phone WAS NOT SMS CAPABLE WHEN IT IS !!!
    Anyway I had the same problem, I couldn't send SMS here is what I did; I called 611 from another nextel phone to get technical support, once one of them pick up ask them to tranfer you to Blackberry support. I am guessing Sprint has a special BB tech support or they transfer you to the BB Tech support center, which by the way if you call without being transfered from Sprint they will charge you $45 to TRY to fix the problem, solution may not be guarantee. Once I got tranfered to the BB tech support from sprint I has to make a couple of configuration changes such as the Firewall options, then options/advanced options/Browser push and finally somehow my BB was able to send and recieve SMS without no problem. Here are the Sprint tech support numbers :

Dial *2, press Talk
    or
    888-211-4727 (Sprint phones)
    800-639-6111 (Nextel phones)
    800-877-4646 (Wireline services)

So basically the 8350i IS CAPABLE OF SMS, if your nextel respresentative says it is not, hang up and call again a lot of the sprint/nextel representative are not good at all, I has so many bad incidents with sprint that I can even remember one time this ladie started yelling at me ! anyway call them and they should be able to fix the problem for you
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

I found this post on the blackberry support forum.
    03-28-10 09:45 PM
    8350i does not do SMS, only MMS.
    if there is no image sent, the other party will get it as SMS.
    i beg to differ on this. i can prove to you that this 8350 does BOTH SMS and MMS. but for text messaging it uses the MMS side of messaging. and that is where all the confusion starts

OK people, If you want your BB 8350i to be able to have the "Compose SMS text" option just follow these instructions, and let me know if it works for you guys:

1) Go to "Options">"SMS Text",
    2) Where it says "Data Coding", change it to & make sure it says "UCS2",
    3)Where it says "Service Center", type: +13348000011 and click "Save",
    4) Try to MMS someone and make sure it sends/receives MMS normally from your handset,
    5) Do a battery pull and now it should appear the "Compose SMS Text" option when you press the BB menu button.

*Note: I'm a Nextel postpaid customer so I'm not sure if it works for Boostberrys, so just let me know =)
    I've been away for a while and it is still a never ending debate!?!?!?! At least Casper has changed his opinion. I tried the jzvi12 approach, also. I am a post paid Nextel customer and from my experience with it NO ONE with Nextel RECEIVED SMS. The BB put a check mark as though it went thru...but AT&T received them instantly. Verizon did receive the SMS but was not as quick. Also it does not make "compose SMS text" the default...merely adds the option in the menu, though it is a permanent change to your BB. Is it worthwhile to reconfigure? NOT FOR ME. Before the reconfigure every carrier received my "MMS", as they still do now. It is not worth the hassle to try to remember who has which carrier and whether I should send SMS or MMS. I will continue to "Compose MMS"
    04-02-10 06:37 PM
    Part of the problem is that Sprint/Nextel is confused about SMS/MMS...

From the Sprint Site a tutorial...

Send or receive SMS text (Note that says SMS text)

Last Updated:04/02/2009

With Text Messaging, you can send and receive text messages between your wireless phone and another messaging-ready phone.

1.With the Messages icon highlighted, click the Trackball.
    2.Press the Menu key.
    3.Scroll Down to Compose MMS and click the Trackball.
    (err wait you were telling us how to SMS not MMS!)

Sad that this has been posted almost a year and hasnt been corrected.
    04-03-10 05:30 AM
    So now I have the "Compose SMS Text" option on my 8350i, now how do i get rid of it because it doesn't work? Do I have to reload the OS?
    04-04-10 10:53 AM
    I think you're going to find your stuck with it. I did a Reset to Factory/ Wipe/ Downgraded to 204 used it a couple days missed some things from 313 so I RTF/ Wiped/ Reloaded 313 and the Compose SMS was back. But somehow managed to get the SMS and MMS into seperate folders (not sure dont ask cant help lol) by doing that the Compose SMS Text is no longer the default option for me.
    04-04-10 07:48 PM
    I don't care whether they are SMS or MMS or whatever, I'd just like to send and receive them. Currently, I can send what I believe are SMS and can receive them on the other end (another cell) but cannot receive them unless they are sent to MYPHONENUMBER at page.nextel.com[/email]. I have tried sending from the other cell and replying to the SMS on the other cell but my 8350i doesn't receive them. And I have tried sending MMS from the other cell and they are not received either.

Can anybody out there help this old fart?

Ray
    04-06-10 08:04 AM
    [QUOTE=mfsray01;4949409]I don't care whether they are SMS or MMS or whatever, I'd just like to send and receive them.

I'll answer my own post: Service Books!! Download the service books and load them via Desktop Manager. I also loaded the Vopium app for wifi SMS and phone calls. I can send SMS with Vopium and the response has the sender's name (but I think you have to have it in your Contacts List). I still have only MMS on the BB menu but as I said earlier - who cares what you call it if you can text!!

Ray
    04-07-10 06:20 AM
    i found the NEXTEL service center number last night +12819654290 I was up all night searching the interweb and found the service center number, and it works i sent my google voice number a sms, but the reply still comes in mms. Supposedly with the next update NEXTEL is going to incorporate true sms to the 8350i.. I believe that is true, the biggest complaint with the 8350i is no threaded messaging, i dont think they can do it with mms, so we might see sms soon...
    04-07-10 09:24 AM
    i found the NEXTEL service center number last night +12819654290 I was up all night searching the interweb and found the service center number, and it works i sent my google voice number a sms, but the reply still comes in mms. Supposedly with the next update NEXTEL is going to incorporate true sms to the 8350i.. I believe that is true, the biggest complaint with the 8350i is no threaded messaging, i dont think they can do it with mms, so we might see sms soon...
    how can it work if it comes in as MMS???
    04-07-10 11:13 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD