Should I put my phone in sleep mode by pressing the silver button on top while I sleep each night? Will this save battery?

If so--when I power it down like that, can I still receive calls and texts?

When it is in that mode, is that the same mode it enters when I put it into the pocket case with the magnet that "shuts it down" when it enters it?

thanks
    08-05-09 08:45 AM
    That doesn't power it down, that just puts it on standby mode, which is the same as putting it in the holster. you will still recieve calls and texts. Hold the red call button before you go to bed. best way to save battery
    08-05-09 10:08 AM
    so putting it in the holster before going to bed (hence putting the blackberry in a locked state) is not the same as holding the red call button?
    08-05-09 10:12 AM
    Holding the red call button shuts the phone off completely. You will not receive any calls, texts, emails, nothing. Putting the phone on standby mode you will receive calls, texts, messages etc......but it will save your battery big time from dropping power so fast.
    08-05-09 10:17 AM
    but is it ok to put the phone in a standby mode everytime? For example, put it in standby mode and then 5 min later I receive a txt and so i txt back and i put in standby mode again. And again i receive a txt and i txt back and put it back in standby mode.

Is it fine to keep putting it in standby mode?
    08-05-09 10:27 AM
    Its perfectly fine to put it on standby. Trust me your battery will thank you. I constantly am putting my phone on standby, I get texts, calls, emails all day long.
    08-05-09 10:29 AM
    Dumb question ... where is the "standby" button?
    08-05-09 10:35 AM
    so i put my phone on standby and put it in the holster. And i called from a different phone to my blackberry and it went directly to voicemail. I also txted to my blackberry using another phone and my blackberry didnt get any notification.
    Any ideas why?
    08-05-09 10:50 AM
    Ok. I think you're getting something confused (and its easy to do . When you press and hold the red button on your phone it puts it in standby mode which in essence, turns the phones radio off and the lcd screen. So when someone calls you, it goes straight to voicemail and you won't be notified of new texts (until you bring it out of off mode). there is no true way to completely power down a blackberry. Pressing the power button (red button) puts the phone in a "soft" shutdown status. Now, holstering your device does not power down your phone. It locks the phone and within whatever time you have alloted, the screen turns off but the radio is still on. There isn't a standy mode that I know of that allows you to receive calls, texts, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 11:49 AM
    Add a note: if you notice, when you take the battery out and put it back in, the phones takes a long time to boot and come on. That's why when you press the red button on your phone it puts it in a soft shutdown or off mode and it don't shut complelty off. The only way to turn your phone completely off is to pull the battery and leave it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 11:53 AM
    oooh...now I get it. Thanks for the explanation there.

Then i have to ask, what is the point of the standby mode then? 9eater says he puts his phone on standby mode all day long and he still gets text, calls and emails. How does that work then?
    08-05-09 12:29 PM
    oooh...now I get it. Thanks for the explanation there.

Then i have to ask, what is the point of the standby mode then? 9eater says he puts his phone on standby mode all day long and he still gets text, calls and emails. How does that work then?
    It puts it in a mode where it's still receiving texts, emails, calls, whatever, but shuts the buttons off so that there's no worry of accidental key presses. I think it still saves on battery drain.
    08-05-09 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD