I'm trying to figure out why my battery wont hold a charge. I have a new battery (new phone for that matter). All applications are shut off, etc., still cant keep a full charge.

When I checked the Status of my phone just now, it said the signal was: -101 dBm, it would change from -91, -98, etc.

I'm clueless as to what this means. Can someone explain?

Thanks
    01-13-09 11:56 AM
    That's your wireless signal strength in dBm. It's a log scale, and less negative is better. -80dBm typically corresponds to 5 bars. -100dBm is 1-2 bars. With that low a signal, your phone will have to increase its output power, which explains your reduced battery life. There's nothing you can do about it, other than change locations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 12:22 PM
    That's your wireless signal strength in dBm. It's a log scale, and less negative is better. -80dBm typically corresponds to 5 bars. -100dBm is 1-2 bars. With that low a signal, your phone will have to increase its output power, which explains your reduced battery life. There's nothing you can do about it, other than change locations.

Ok that makes sense. I went outside (I'm at work) and it went down to -80 and stayed there. When I came back in, it gradually went back up to -101.

I' hope it's just draining super fast here at work because of the low signal. Im going crazy trying to figure out if I have a lemon as for a phone. LOL

Thanks for you feedback.
    01-13-09 12:31 PM
    do you have IM running in the background ? Yahoo, Gtalk ? or maybe other programs that req data ?

and define your "Draining super fast", some people are anal about this stuff while it's actually normal.
    01-13-09 12:36 PM
    Fluorescent lighting, electric motors & electronics can wreak havoc on a radio signal.

01-13-09 12:36 PM
    do you have IM running in the background ? Yahoo, Gtalk ? or maybe other programs that req data ?

and define your "Draining super fast", some people are anal about this stuff while it's actually normal.
    Nothing is running in the back ground. I lose 10% of my battery every hour. So, my battery is dead in 10 hours and that's without ANY usage.
    01-13-09 12:42 PM
    Fluorescent lighting, electric motors & electronics can wreak havoc on a radio signal.

Funny you say that. It's worse (-101) when it's right in front of me on my desk (next to the computer), but on the other side of my cubical, on the cabinet, it drops down a bit (-96).
    01-13-09 12:43 PM
    Wow! P/U a lot in this thread.

Thanks, guys.
    01-13-09 01:03 PM
    thanks! I had the same question... amazing what a quick search will do
    01-13-09 01:16 PM
    thanks! I had the same question... amazing what a quick search will do
    Thanks a lot. Helped me
    09-10-16 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD