i got the bold as my first blackberry and i like it a lot but im not in love with it. i seem to be leaning more towards the curve 8900 but the fact that it doesnt have 3g made me get the bold instead. i have about a week left to exchange my bold for the 8900 and am having a hard time deciding what to do. anyone have any advice?
    08-09-09 11:50 PM
    forgot to mention that im really bothered by the size of the bold. but should that really matter?
    08-09-09 11:52 PM
    I'm using the Curve 8900, and its a great unit...... my friends also have the Bold and the 2G on the 8900 not much slower then the 3G Bold. I like the 8900 cause is more compact!!!
    08-10-09 12:01 AM
    Too me the lack of 3G didn't worrk me in the slightest.... If you want to go on the next and watch youtube, use a computer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 12:08 AM
    My advice to you is to return the Bold within your time limit and get an 8900 instead. You will then have an entire new time limit to try out that device. If you don't like it, go back to the Bold.
    08-10-09 12:42 AM
    Answer these questions to yourself.

1. Do you tether?
    2. Do you need to do simultaneous voice and data or have ever wanted to?
    3. How important is call quality to you from 1-10?

If you answered no to both 1 and 2 and you rated below 7 on 3, you should be fine with the 8900. The big sacrifice on the 8900 is keyboard in my opinion but that's subjective and the lack of 3G. If you tether, go with the Bold. EDGE is bad when tethering and you'll really notice the EDGE vs. 3G speed difference there. If you answered yes to 2, you won't really be able to do that on AT&T and the 8900 at all because AT&T doesn't support UMA. But if you've done or wanted to do number 2 less than 10 times, the 8900 should be fine for you. Call quality also can't be helped with the lack of UMA on the AT&T 8900. I would do what aristile said and try out both devices for a week. See which one suits you best. I would go with the Bold because I need 3G for tethering, Pandora and simultaneous voice and data. But I'm abnormal for a BlackBerry user because I tether.
    08-10-09 01:07 AM
    I just bought the 8900 two weeks ago( my first bb) I unfortunatly got one with defective os on it so it had many bugs but then it was stollen...... and the replaced one works great. Only thing I have issues with is
    -battery life is about a day and less than that if you use your browser.
    -youtube vides are crapy quality
    -call quality could be better

I say if you have the money go with the bold. Always buy more then you need you will learn to use it.
    08-10-09 01:54 AM
    go with the BB onyx or driftwood or Storm 2. these phones are dropping soon and im holding out for them too.
    08-10-09 02:22 AM
    i got the bold as my first blackberry and i like it a lot but im not in love with it. i seem to be leaning more towards the curve 8900 but the fact that it doesnt have 3g made me get the bold instead. i have about a week left to exchange my bold for the 8900 and am having a hard time deciding what to do. anyone have any advice?
    I'm actually in an opposite situation. I initially bought the 8900 but exchanged it for the Bold today. The 8900 is more compact and easier to carry in your pocket (the main reason why I got one in the first place), has a better camera, slightly better (though smaller) screen and UMI support. It doesn't have 3G, but that wasn't a big deal for me. I got rid of the 8900 because I simply couldn't stand the crappy build quality of that particular model. The keyboard feels flimsy and moves up down, the end key is squeaky, the bottom right corner of the screen makes a clicking sound when pressed, pressing the end key sends ripples through the screen....and mind you, all of those are pretty common issues, so it's not like I got a lemon. The bottom line is that the 8900 feels cheap and poorly constructed, IMO. Even though I've only had the Bold for a day, so far it feels much more solid (and the keyboard is way better).

In addition, the Bold is superior as a telephonic device. It has better reception (not that there's anything wrong with 8900's reception, but Bold's is simply amazing), the speakerphone and earpiece are louder, and the battery life is longer.
    Last edited by Andy B; 08-10-09 at 03:06 AM.
    08-10-09 03:03 AM
    The 8900 is a solid device. I use mine everyday and to me it feels just as solid all be it a little smaller than the bold. To say it has creeking noises and things of that nature is pointless because phones are made from plastic. Phones will creek every once in awhile. The 8900 is a great devce! also I've used my blackberry for multiple times fr 2 days straight one charge!

08-10-09 05:24 AM
    This is all great feedback but I think it made my decision even harder haha is there anyone who went from a bold to a 8900. And is there a big difference between 2g and3g?
    08-10-09 09:50 AM
    In addition, the Bold is superior as a telephonic device. It has better reception (not that there's anything wrong with 8900's reception, but Bold's is simply amazing), the speakerphone and earpiece are louder, and the battery life is longer.
    Whoa hold that thought for a sec
    With that 3G thingy battery life on Bold is much shorter than 8900. Some friends of mine who own Bold have bad experience. Their battery could only last for merely 16 hours..top .. while on 8900 u can expect longer hours. I use heavily on chat, emails, phone calls & a lil bit browsing and it last on average of 1.5 days from fully charged.

Bold with its 3G is sure fantastic but u have to be prepared for the downside. A shorter battery hours that is *IMO

08-10-09 10:01 AM
    This is all great feedback but I think it made my decision even harder haha is there anyone who went from a bold to a 8900. And is there a big difference between 2g and3g?
    Yes, I have. Check the comparison thread link in my signature.

Whoa hold that thought for a sec
    With that 3G thingy battery life on Bold is much shorter than 8900. Some friends of mine who own Bold have bad experience. Their battery could only last for merely 16 hours..top .. while on 8900 u can expect longer hours. I use heavily on chat, emails, phone calls & a lil bit browsing and it last on average of 1.5 days from fully charged.

Bold with its 3G is sure fantastic but u have to be prepared for the downside. A shorter battery hours that is *IMO

Yep, the Bold will definitely get less battery life than the 8900. Not only from the 3G but also due to the larger device screen, slightly faster processor, etc.
    08-10-09 11:27 AM
    There won't be much of a noticeable difference on the device between 2G and 3G because of RIM's servers and browser rendering. If you do streaming radio you can tell the difference. I can't do HQ on Pandora over EDGE because EDGE isn't fast enough to go without buffering for more than 20 seconds. But aside from streaming radio, there really isn't anything on the device that would make you notice the difference between 3G and EDGE.
    08-10-09 12:36 PM
    I think bold is much better than 8900 in keyboard, which I consider the only one advantage. Wait for the Onyx 9700 then. It will be a perfect device I think.

08-10-09 12:57 PM
    Sure why not.....

08-10-09 04:52 PM
    I went from the 8900 to the bold and back to the 8900. I don't really surf so I can't speak to the speed of one vs. the other on the net. I really like the size of the 8900, the increased app space and the camera.

for my purposes-email/bbm/text the 8900 is perfect. I didn't like the size of the bold either, and while I liked it, I wasn't in love with it. judging from what you've said you might be better off going with the 8900, and if you don't like it you can always go back to the bold.
    08-10-09 09:46 PM
    I got the 8900 haha the internet is a little slower and the keyoard is smaller ut I must say I do love it
    08-10-09 10:14 PM
    so i got myself a curve 8900 haha and while the internet is a little slower and the keyboard is smaller...i love it haha now anyone know a good case for it? i was thinking of either a silicone case or the incipio feather and input?
    08-10-09 11:46 PM
    so i got myself a curve 8900 haha and while the internet is a little slower and the keyboard is smaller...i love it haha now anyone know a good case for it? i was thinking of either a silicone case or the incipio feather and input?
    This thread's for you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/so...0-case-290637/
    08-10-09 11:53 PM
    is it made out of glass or plastic?
    08-14-09 10:06 PM
    is it made out of glass or plastic?
    The cover is plastic but it's not a big deal.
    08-14-09 10:43 PM
    Too me the lack of 3G didn't worrk me in the slightest.... If you want to go on the next and watch youtube, use a computer

i completely agree with you. to add to that its a business phone, and 3G's selling points are mainly streaming music, watching youtube videos, etc... I have yet to experience an a task where i needed 3G.
    08-14-09 11:28 PM
    i completely agree with you. to add to that its a business phone, and 3G's selling points are mainly streaming music, watching youtube videos, etc... I have yet to experience an a task where i needed 3G.
    You've got it wrong. 3G allows for simultaneous data and voice. 3G also gives better call quality. 3G gives respectable speeds for tethering. Simultaneous voice and data is nice so you don't have to disconnect the connection to take a call and reconnect after the call's over. I've experienced many, many situations where 3G would have been useful. Just because you don't see the need for 3G doesn't mean that other people have different situations and needs for 3G like myself.
    08-15-09 02:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD