09-07-09 01:47 PM
33 12
tools
    No your phone number will not change. GSM phones use SIM cards, and as you can see on these discussion forum(s), SIM cards do present issues sometimes. But, SIM cards also have a big advantage in that you can generally take an active SIM card (carriers activate each SIM card) from one phone and put it in another phone and that phone will work as long as both phones are from the same GSM carrier (or unlocked the correct way). In your case, you can keep your Pearl as a backup phone to use if you're ever waiting for T-Mobile to send you a replacement 8900 during the warranty period (or extended warranty if you pay for that option each month). About the cost. T-Mo use to offer a new SIM card with each new phone. But at some point recently they stopped doing that and now charge $20 (maybe $25 ?) for a new SIM card, even when purchasing a new phone. However, if you call customer service and complain about a reception problem and the trouble shooting they do does not solve it, they will suggest that you go get another SIM card. As them to note that on your account and note that you should not be charged for the SIM card. Then go to a T-Mo company-owned store, ask them to check the notes on your account, and you'll get your free SIM card on the spot.
    That last two phones (including the 8900 on Wed.) I've ordered, the rep included a free SIM. This is the first time I've heard about being charged, for one.
    02-15-09 12:48 PM
    I'm having this signal issue with the 8900 as well. The worst is while I'm at home. I upgraded from the 8320 after having it only 1 year (had 8 swaps). I had the same signal issue with the 8320 thinking it was the phone. Now that I have the 8900, i realize it's not the phone. First T-Mobile said that there is known problem in my area and then said there is no problem in my area and have no idea why my phone is not working.I have been call for 5 months now and TMobile had done nothing but blow me off. I have a brand new sim card. I have low strength (1 bar), constant dropped calls, and SOS for service. It's extremely annoying. All this money for these phones and I can't even talk at home. I've had the 8900 for 2 months now and I'm afraid to ask for another one considering that this one may be bad only to receive a refurbished. What's a girl to do??
    04-28-09 05:09 PM
    Sim card is definitely not the problem. I just left tmoible with a brand new one and same issue. My OLD 8320 was a lot better every where I went no matter what. :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 01:10 PM
    I get excellent signal strength on 3G on my Bold but a weaker EDGE signal on my 8900
    06-06-09 01:19 PM
    I'm having this signal issue with the 8900 as well. The worst is while I'm at home. I upgraded from the 8320 after having it only 1 year (had 8 swaps). I had the same signal issue with the 8320 thinking it was the phone. Now that I have the 8900, i realize it's not the phone. First T-Mobile said that there is known problem in my area and then said there is no problem in my area and have no idea why my phone is not working.I have been call for 5 months now and TMobile had done nothing but blow me off. I have a brand new sim card. I have low strength (1 bar), constant dropped calls, and SOS for service. It's extremely annoying. All this money for these phones and I can't even talk at home. I've had the 8900 for 2 months now and I'm afraid to ask for another one considering that this one may be bad only to receive a refurbished. What's a girl to do??
    I have the same problems with my 8900, i am getting dropped calls all over my area, SOS, and i hear echo's half the time someone calls me. Ive replaced the phone and the SIM and nothing has changed, i feel your pain. I do not know what i should do either.
    09-06-09 11:02 PM
    Sounds like a couple of folks on this thread have unusually problematic 8900's. I've had several blackberry's, and am currently using an 8900 on T-Mobile. RF reception is fine on this -- easily as good as the 8300, 8100 and 8800 I had prior this. With Wi-Fi / UMA, most of the weak spots of my prior coverage are now filled in with lightning fast UMA.

I've had the 8900 since the week T-Mobile started selling them in the retail stores, and it's the best Blackberry (or phone of any sort, for that meeter) I've had to date. No reception problems with mine.

If you're having issues that seem noticeably worse than you had with earlier model blackberry's, I urge you to talk to customer care about a replacement... Also -- one other thing you might try first if you haven't already: what OS version are you using? Have you upgraded to the most recent release(s)?

As suggested earlier in this thread: just because you (or a couple of you) seem to be experiencing reception issues, don't assume the 8900 is a "reception-challenged" phone -- it isn't, in general, and if yours is, there's probably something atypical about your particular unit(s).
    09-07-09 12:19 AM
    My 8900 gets horrible reception inside my apartment, but I know for a FACT that it has nothing to do with the device. My previous phone (not smartphone) was 3G capable and the same happened to it. Most probably it has to do with the infrastructure of my building. Also T-Mobile will not let you roam on another network. They will only allow roaming in an area where their service does not exist.
    09-07-09 11:19 AM
    T-Mobile just reeks around here in So Cal.
    I had the Sidekick 3G and even with the 3G technology, my dropped calls and continuous reboots from the network were in excess.
    T-Mobile blamed it on the infrastructure of my home, and asked if I was near a window. I don't see how being near window will reduce my signal strength, in contrast, it logically seems as if being a near a window would increase the possibility of being more receptive to a signal.
    Anywho, I upgraded to the BB8900 and I keep getting the same thing, dropped calls up the a$$. I don't regret nor do I care that my 8900 is not 3G because 3G literally does not make a difference for T-Mobile on the T-Mobile network.

I guess that's what you get in exchange for the really inexpensive plans. =]

Happy to say though, the easy way out of this if any of you can relate to my post, is to connect to your Wi-Fi and your signal will be at 5 bars the whole entire time you're in range.
    09-07-09 01:47 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD