I've read about this in several other threads, and I too have experienced a "deal-breaker" flaw with the 8900. It has a problem holding the signal from cell towers. I've been with T-Mobile 10+ years, and I've never had a phone that had such a problem. Very few bars, lots of dropped calls, and frequent "SOS." I replaced my 8320 Curve with the 8900, but the 8900 goes back tomorrow. Some problems can wait until the software fix comes out, but dropping calls and weak signal can't wait. I need a reliable phone now. Too bad either T-Mo or RIM released this phone with such a problem.
    02-14-09 09:17 PM
    No problems here on att. I actually think the reception is pretty good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 09:20 PM
    im not with t-mo but i do have a 8900 and i have no problems, i think it's a bit better than my last phone
    02-14-09 09:27 PM
    Yes, I agree. I am with Centennial and the cell reception is great. In fact I can get a signal in some areas that I used to not get a signal.
    02-14-09 09:34 PM
    there might be a sim card problem on your phone if you replace the sim card it might be resolved
    02-14-09 10:24 PM
    I've read about this in several other threads, and I too have experienced a "deal-breaker" flaw with the 8900. It has a problem holding the signal from cell towers. I've been with T-Mobile 10+ years, and I've never had a phone that had such a problem. Very few bars, lots of dropped calls, and frequent "SOS." I replaced my 8320 Curve with the 8900, but the 8900 goes back tomorrow. Some problems can wait until the software fix comes out, but dropping calls and weak signal can't wait. I need a reliable phone now. Too bad either T-Mo or RIM released this phone with such a problem.
    I have the same issue inside my house. Only way around it for me was getting hotspot@home to have coverage at home. I had the same problem with my 8320.
    02-14-09 10:47 PM
    No issues with signal from Rogers...Just bad phones lol waiting on my 4th
    02-14-09 11:38 PM
    Triggertree is correct aswell, if you're using an older generation of SIM card then you're going to get a bad reception, i'm not sure if T-Mobile is on 4th Generation but use the new SIM card that came with the phone, you should be just fine after
    02-14-09 11:40 PM
    I don't know but what I have always been told is that Verizon has the best network for signal strength and call quality. Sprint and AT&T seem to always been 2nd or 3rd or vice versa depending on who you talk to.

But as far as everything I have read and heard from people T-Mobile is always on the bottom of the list as far as network quality.
    02-14-09 11:44 PM
    I haven't had many problems with mine especially since i am also connected using wifi. i suggest that you use that and i can guarantee you better results.
    02-14-09 11:48 PM
    nah its because you need the most recent SIM card to get good reception the newer blackberries with Rogers dont work correct if you have a 3rd Generation SIM card
    02-14-09 11:49 PM
    i had that signal issue had the 8900 replaced got the new one friday with a new sim so ill see as the days go by
    02-15-09 12:18 AM
    When did 3rd generation SIM cards end? The SIM card in my 8900 now was moved from my 8320. I think that 8320 SIM card was new back in September 2008. Are SIM cards from September 2008 a generation old now?
    02-15-09 12:48 AM
    I don't know but what I have always been told is that Verizon has the best network for signal strength and call quality. Sprint and AT&T seem to always been 2nd or 3rd or vice versa depending on who you talk to.

But as far as everything I have read and heard from people T-Mobile is always on the bottom of the list as far as network quality.
    T-Mobile has the smallest native network of the 4 national carriers, although not that much smaller than Sprint's. Where T-Mobile lacks native coverage in the U.S., they usually have roaming on AT&T or a regional GSM carrier. T-Mobile is typically #1 in customer service according to JD Power (they lost that ranking temporarily last year, but just recently got it back). As far as call/network quality, JD Power in the Southeast (where I live) has T-Mobile ranked even with Verizon and way ahead of AT&T and Sprint.
    02-15-09 01:05 AM
    Ugh, not what i want to hear with me wanting to make that move from the same phone you had to the same phone you have LOL.

I hope its an isolated issue.. I hope..

As far as Tmobiles customer service, I can say that everytime I call them, they answer EVERY question, they are unbelieveably nice, they are never "arrogant" as AT&T CSR's are, and even bend the rules to make you happy. That goes a LONG way in my book!

Jesse
    02-15-09 01:14 AM
    I have the same issue with signal strength. I didn't have it as much with my iPhone (unlocked).
    I unlocked my 8900 and tested a friends ATT sim and I got 5 bars.
    I think it's T-Mo, but I'm gonna get a new sim. (Mine was new when I got my 8320 too)
    02-15-09 01:25 AM

This is subjective information. It depends on your area.
    02-15-09 01:48 AM
    Ugh, not what i want to hear with me wanting to make that move from the same phone you had to the same phone you have LOL.

I hope its an isolated issue.. I hope..

As far as Tmobiles customer service, I can say that everytime I call them, they answer EVERY question, they are unbelieveably nice, they are never "arrogant" as AT&T CSR's are, and even bend the rules to make you happy. That goes a LONG way in my book!

Jesse
    If your reception is fine, with your current phone, there is no reason why it won't be with the next one. If you are in a place where t mobile's towers are good/plenty, it's going to boil down to the handset/sim. If you have bad reception, and it was good with another phone....it's either a bad phone or sim.

I can't understand why people, constantly, assume that 'coverage'/'reception' is a 'global' thing. It depends on where you are, on who the best carrier for YOU is!

YEESH
    02-15-09 01:52 AM
    When I had my iphone (unlocked) on t-mobile, I always had 4-5 bars of service but with my 8900, it varies between 2-4 bars. To the person that says you should have the same reception on every phone, that is not true. Some phones just don't take in as much signal as others do, I've had many different phones and my signal was always a bit different depending on the phone.

02-15-09 02:24 AM
    When I had my iphone (unlocked) on t-mobile, I always had 4-5 bars of service but with my 8900, it varies around between 2-4 bars. To the person that says you should have the same reception on every phone, that is not true. Some phones just don't take in as much signal as others do, I've had many different phones and my signal was always a bit different depending on the phone.

If you are on the same network, in the same area, and you are having difficulties with signal on a different phone...it is the phone or the sim. Period. The network has not changed. Return the phone for a non-defective one, or get a new sim.

It's not brain surgery.

To clarify: There are plenty of replies, to this post, of 8900 users reporting no problems with signals. Just because YOUR 8900 has signal issues, does not mean that the 8900 line is 'signal challenged'. Read: you said every phone is different. You are talking about models. READ: Every phone is different (each individual phone handset). Problems with signal? Return it.
    Last edited by Strontium; 02-15-09 at 02:33 AM.
    02-15-09 02:26 AM
    I didn't mean that every 8900 has different reception. I meant compared to another phone (besides the 8900) the reception could be worse or better depending on the hardware that was put inside the phone and also the housing of the phone can sometimes lower the amount of signal you'll get.
    If you are on the same network, in the same area, and you are having difficulties with signal on a different phone...it is the phone or the sim. Period. The network has not changed. Return the phone for a non-defective one, or get a new sim.

It's not brain surgery.

To clarify: There are plenty of replies, to this post, of 8900 users reporting no problems with signals. Just because YOUR 8900 has signal issues, does not mean that the 8900 line is 'signal challenged'. Read: you said every phone is different. You are talking about models. READ: Every phone is different (each individual phone handset). Problems with signal? Return it.
    02-15-09 02:50 AM
    I didn't mean that every 8900 has different reception. I meant compared to another phone (besides the 8900) the reception could be worse or better depending on the hardware that was put inside the phone and also the housing of the phone can sometimes lower the amount of signal you'll get.

I understand your reasoning, and meant no offense. I used to think that way, as well, about cellular phones. However, if there was an inherent problem with the 8900's and signal, I think this forum would be flooded with complaints...don't you?

My point: Since most of the persons responding to this thread have no issues with signal, I think we can rule out hardware/housing? Correct?

Process of elimination. Try SIM next. If that doesn't fix it, return the phone for a replacement.

If neither of those work, you have bad luck or everyone else that has acceptable reception with this phone is extremely lucky? Which one is more likely?

Hope you figure out your signal issues and op too. Bedtime, for bonzo.
    02-15-09 02:58 AM
    I'm on T-mobile in the southeast and my 8900 seems to get better reception than my 8320 did at home. I never had EDGE at home now I do.... don't know if it's the phone or they updated the coverage area. I have not noticed any problems with my service.
    02-15-09 02:59 AM
    Question. I've noted a loss in signal as well and have my SIM from my Pearl from Oct 2006. If I get a new SIM does that change my number? And does it cost?

02-15-09 03:13 AM
    Question. I've noted a loss in signal as well and have my SIM from my Pearl from Oct 2006. If I get a new SIM does that change my number? And does it cost?

No your phone number will not change. GSM phones use SIM cards, and as you can see on these discussion forum(s), SIM cards do present issues sometimes. But, SIM cards also have a big advantage in that you can generally take an active SIM card (carriers activate each SIM card) from one phone and put it in another phone and that phone will work as long as both phones are from the same GSM carrier (or unlocked the correct way). In your case, you can keep your Pearl as a backup phone to use if you're ever waiting for T-Mobile to send you a replacement 8900 during the warranty period (or extended warranty if you pay for that option each month). About the cost. T-Mo use to offer a new SIM card with each new phone. But at some point recently they stopped doing that and now charge $20 (maybe $25 ?) for a new SIM card, even when purchasing a new phone. However, if you call customer service and complain about a reception problem and the trouble shooting they do does not solve it, they will suggest that you go get another SIM card. As them to note that on your account and note that you should not be charged for the SIM card. Then go to a T-Mo company-owned store, ask them to check the notes on your account, and you'll get your free SIM card on the spot.
    02-15-09 07:12 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD