Hi.

Our office has about 20 blackberries, mostly curve 9360s, running against BES 5.04 for Groupwise 8.

One of my users is having an issue with some sent emails. Some of the emails show up on the blackberry under the wrong date. For instance, he has one email that he sent on 9th of September, yet in the blackberry it shows as having being sent on the 15th of September, unless you open it up, in which case it shows the correct date.

I have deleted the user from the BES users list and re-added and re-activated his phone. The email mentioned above, disappeared (as it's outside the range of emails kept on the phone), however there is a new one, sent yesterday the 16th which now shows under today's date.

Has anybody seen this sort of issue and how would I go about troubleshooting this? What, if anything, should I be looking for in the logs and in which logs?

Thanks
    Scott
    09-17-13 02:57 PM
    The date/time shown in the index screen of emails is when the when the message was delivered to the phone. The date/time seen when the email is opened is taken from the message headers, and shows when the message was originally sent. The usual cause for a mismatch is that the message has been delayed somewhere in the transmission chain between leaving the sender and being delivered to the phone. A typical cause would be something like a sender using an office mail server which has lost internet connectivity - the message is sent from desk to server, and held there for an unpredictable time until access to the outside world is restored.

I believe this is working as designed to put newly received messages at top of list, and the design is arguably a good solution particularly for a small screen device which can only show a few messages on the active screen. If the listing used time of sending it is likely most users would miss seeing any message which has been delayed by an internet glitch, because it would be out of sight several screens below current messages which had not been delayed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-17-13 07:38 PM
    Thanks Branta.

That makes sense upto a point. However, we have not had any issues with internet connectivity (I realize it might have been something outside of my network that caused the delay) at or around the time of the original sent message.

Also what kind of issue would delay the delivery for 6-7 days? The user did not have his phone off for that length of time either. Last, the other users have not reported any similar problems. Would there be something in the logs that I could look for with regards to this one user?

Scott
    09-18-13 10:20 AM
    Right... you probably know the connectivity of the phone is OK because if there was a problem the user(s) would be whining about all mails, not just one or two. Likewise the problem is probably not in the incoming leg to your mail server and BES. That puts the problem outside your systems, and you should be able to find the evidence if you still have access to the original emails using a regular PC based mail client (not on the phone). Look at the internet (SMTP) transmission headers which show every hop (with timestamp) from the original sender's PC all the way to your mail server, somewhere you should find a discontinuity.

The other possibility is that the original sending timestamp (applied by the sender's PC or server) is wrong. The headers should also reveal this.
    09-20-13 03:50 PM