Hi,
    I have browsed through the forums looking for an answer and have yet to find out how to get this to work properly.

I have No data plan on my phone and want to be able to use my wi-fi to reply to Gmails. Currently, I am able to see what I have in my inbox via the BB browser, but I cannot send any messages/replies. The Sending bar will time out after about 1-2 minutes.. and then I get the error message

"A communication failure has occurred. The server may be busy please try again later. If the problem persists contact your provider."

I have the TCP/IP settings at
    wap.cingular

[email protected]

CINGULAR1

and still a no go. A user on another forum told me to clear out my tcp/ip settings. That fixed my problem and I was happy but later that day I reinstalled .174 because I kept getting an error when I rebooted it. After the install I cleared the TCP/IP and left both boxes check marked and the gmail still wouldnt send.

Using the Gmail App, I am able to send/receive email but I pay per Kilobyte and dont want to pay for it when I have access to wi-fi. I also, cannot reply to crackberry forums via wap, because it will show the "sending" screen for about 1 minute and then give a time out error.

Any advice will help. thanks
    Last edited by dannieloco; 04-13-09 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added the bold print
    04-13-09 12:14 AM
    I think you need a data plan to send emails.
    04-13-09 10:15 AM
    I had that feature working though for about a day though. This is soo frustrating. Im wondering if it was using data the last time it was working.
    04-13-09 01:04 PM
    One way of checking... call AT&T and ask them.
    04-13-09 01:15 PM
    I couldn't get the gmail app to work either. It works fine when i go to gmail.com via browser, but through the app it uses data (which charges me per kb...since I don't have a data plan). Any way around this? Or are the apps just hardwired to work on the data plan by default?
    04-13-09 05:29 PM
    I think the app is hardwired to use EDGE data. There is no way to have the app use only wi-fi. What settings are you using on TCP/IP? I am able to view my inbox, but I cannot send emails from the BB browser. I cant reply to Wap.crackberry.com either.. it just says "sending" and the gives and error message.
    04-13-09 05:42 PM
    Update: so Im at my gf's apartment and just logged into her wi-fi. I have made no changes to the settings on the blackberry, and I am able to send emails. Argh, now I need to go mess with the router settings at my home to see what it is that is preventing me from sending emails. Any clues as to what settings I should look at??

Thanks to everyone for the input thus far.
    04-13-09 05:54 PM
    My TCP/IP settings say

APN Settings Enabled is checked
    APN: epc.tmobile.com

everything else is blank.

I haven't messed with any of the settings from when I got it though (no data plan for att...so haven't really felt the need to do so just yet)
    04-13-09 05:57 PM
    If you are trying to setup your device using WiFi only, then the APN settings do not matter at all. In fact, they should be turned off.

Also for more information on setting up your router, check the WiFi Guide link in my signature.
    Last edited by aristile; 04-13-09 at 06:26 PM.
    04-13-09 06:24 PM
    Thanks aristile, reading the link now.
    04-13-09 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD