I updated my Curve 8330 .77 OS to .160 via the sticky in this forum. All seemed to be well, until about a week later.

I have had to do more battery pulls than I ever have!

The sound on my ringtones and alerts goes out whenever it wants and I have to do a battery pull every time to get them working again.

I notice that when I press any button while the device is in standby mode, it takes about 3 or 4 seconds before the screen lights up.

I thought that it may be because of low memory, so I deleted some apps and extras and still, the same issues!

Should I uninstall and then reinstall? Or should I just go with the new VZW update for .138 instead?

I just don't want to stay with .77 since I'm almost sure that I won't be getting a new BB anytime soon.
    08-14-09 02:48 PM
    i think verizon has authorized .138. if your unhappy with .160 give that one a try.
    08-14-09 02:50 PM
    If you had read the .160 thread, all of the problems you are experiencing have been discussed and are known issues with this OS.

The .138 "official" Verizon 8330 OS has it's share of problems as well.

I recommend Sprint's 4.5.0.131, download it here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

You can follow the upgrade/downgrade link in my sig for instructions.
    08-14-09 02:54 PM
    If you had read the .160 thread, all of the problems you are experiencing have been discussed and are known issues with this OS.

The .138 "official" Verizon 8330 OS has it's share of problems as well.

I recommend Sprint's 4.5.0.131, download it here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

You can follow the upgrade/downgrade link in my sig for instructions.

Thanks so much for this!

My bad! I should have checked that forum for issues....DUH! LOL!

I really do appreciate your help!
    08-14-09 02:56 PM
    I have the same problems with ringtones/alerts. I need to downgrade when I get the chance...
    08-14-09 02:57 PM
    You're welcome.

One of the only problems the .131 has is the lag coming out of the screen timeout. To get around this, just press the space key or enter key instead of the trackball to wake up your BB. FYI, I never had the timeout lag issue when I was running .131, so YMMV.
    08-14-09 02:59 PM
    ILG, an even easier option for you would be to install blackngray70's hybrid OS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/hyb...-131-a-242109/

Since you have the .160 already installed on your computer, you would just be downloading one file, unzipping it, then replacing a folder on your computer with the unzipped one, then loading the OS on your BB.

The hybrid OS takes the necessary files from the Sprint .131 OS to fix all the issues with the straight .160 OS you are on now.
    08-14-09 03:05 PM
    You're welcome.

One of the only problems the .131 has is the lag coming out of the screen timeout. To get around this, just press the space key or enter key instead of the trackball to wake up your BB. FYI, I never had the timeout lag issue when I was running .131, so YMMV.
    Doesn't 131 have the psychotic signal bar issue? .160 fixed nobex and iheartradio for me, so I'm gonna deal with the ringer problem, which I've only had once

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 03:06 PM
    Doesn't 131 have the psychotic signal bar issue? .160 fixed nobex and iheartradio for me, so I'm gonna deal with the ringer problem, which I've only had once

What is this issue you are referring to? Signal bouncing from 1 to 4/5 bars, or network indicator cycling between 1XEV, 1X, 1x, 1xev?
    08-14-09 03:09 PM
    ILG, an even easier option for you would be to install blackngray70's hybrid OS.

Since you have the .160 already installed on your computer, you would just be downloading one file, unzipping it, then replacing a folder on your computer with the unzipped one, then loading the OS on your BB.

The hybrid OS takes the necessary files from the Sprint .131 OS to fix all the issues with the straight .160 OS you are on now.

Wow, that sounds a lot easier and less time consuming! THANKS!

I'll try it as soon as I get home. Hope it works! Hee hee! *fingers crossed*
    08-14-09 03:09 PM
    What is this issue you are referring to? Signal bouncing from 1 to 4/5 bars, or network indicator cycling between 1XEV, 1X, 1x, 1xev?

I don't think I ever had the network indicator cycling problem... Ill just put what it seems to have fixed for me so far below:

-Signal bar bouncing seems to have stopped, unless I'm in an area with a low signal. Old firmware would do it when i had like five bars.

-Similar to the network indicator problem, whenever I got or sent a text I'd get knocked to 1X from 1XEV. That seems to have gone away.

-The infamous "stopping" issue in iheartradio. Now when it buffer underruns (which seems to happen a lot less), it will drop audio and start again without me having to go and hit play, like I'd imagine it was always intended to.

-The "stream is not seekable" issue in Nobex. Similar to the iheartradio problem, when nobex's buffer ran out, it would puke up this message and make me hit play. Now it just drops audio and restarts.

All of those fixes in exchange for having to leave the phone on vibe if I want to be 100% sure it's ringing? I'd call that a fair deal.
    08-14-09 07:24 PM
    I wasted a lot of time yesterday installing .131 and .138. Both were very laggy on my phone and I ultimately went back to .89 which has been rock solid for me. Any reason why it was so slow? Indexing the media card?
    08-14-09 07:42 PM
    I wasted a lot of time yesterday installing .131 and .138. Both were very laggy on my phone and I ultimately went back to .89 which has been rock solid for me. Any reason why it was so slow? Indexing the media card?
    Sometimes the media card can be corrupted during OS installs/upgrades.

If it is still laggy, and you get frequent hourglassing, take the media card out. If the lagginess goes away, move all your content off your card, then reformat the card. Move all your stuff back to your card.
    08-14-09 08:03 PM
    snakester9, the .160/.131 hybrid should solve your ringer problem and still retain the speed of .160
    08-14-09 08:04 PM
    snakester9, the .160/.131 hybrid should solve your ringer problem and still retain the speed of .160
    Does it have the bouncy signal problem? I'm wicked OCD about it :|
    08-15-09 12:06 AM
    Does it have the bouncy signal problem? I'm wicked OCD about it :|
    I believe it does, and so does the latest BB the 9630 Tour.
    08-15-09 06:29 AM

Okay, I'm a little confused. I accessed the link you provided above and I'm not exactly sure which link I'm supposed to be downloading.

You said that since I already have .160 that I would only need to download one file, unzip it and replace a folder with the unzipped one. Which one should I be downloading?

My apologies, but this is just a teeny bit confusing.

Also, I'm running DM5.0 which in the initial instructions in the above link was advised against in regard to this upgrade. However, after reading through the thread it seems that it's okay to use this with DM5.0?
    08-15-09 10:17 PM
    Okay, I'm a little confused. I accessed the link you provided above and I'm not exactly sure which link I'm supposed to be downloading.

You said that since I already have .160 that I would only need to download one file, unzip it and replace a folder with the unzipped one. Which one should I be downloading?

My apologies, but this is just a teeny bit confusing.
    Look for the following sentence after the 3rd party backup link:

"Extract the files from the zip folder. You can download the zip folder HERE." Where the HERE, is the link to the download you need.

Also, I'm running DM5.0 which in the initial instructions in the above link was advised against in regard to this upgrade. However, after reading through the thread it seems that it's okay to use this with DM5.0?
    It will work, but some people have problems with DM 5.0 and 4.7 because they automatically check for updates and can put the vendor.xml file back which will make the OS file ignored by apploader.
    08-15-09 10:38 PM
    Look for the following sentence after the 3rd party backup link:

"Extract the files from the zip folder. You can download the zip folder HERE." Where the HERE, is the link to the download you need.

It will work, but some people have problems with DM 5.0 and 4.7 because they automatically check for updates and can put the vendor.xml file back which will make the OS file ignored by apploader.

I sorta have to laugh at myself because I still don't know what I'm doing.

I already have .160 and I "downloaded" the zip files, however when I get to the part where I have to delete the contents of the folder and then add the files from the zip files I downloaded, my sense of direction and understanding go down the toilet!

I am afraid to delete the contents of the folder because I don't know if I'm supposed to delete the sub folders or every folder within the folder. I don't know what files are supposed to repopulate the folder and I don't know where to find them (the ones I downloaded).

I'm sorry if I'm being a baby, but at this point that is probably my level of understanding. LOL!
    08-15-09 11:47 PM
    ILG, don't panic. Just slow down and follow the directions blackngray70 has laid out. Of course you ignore the part about downloading and installing .160 on you computer.

After you extract the .zip file you download, you will replace the entire OS folder. The downloaded folder contains everything you need except for the files/apps that were removed (directions are there to put them back if you want them).
    08-15-09 11:55 PM
    That hybrid he is referring to is so much better. I used dm 5 and it put the vendor file back but if you just be careful and reread the directions you'll get thru easily. My curve works so much better than it did with verizons .77

08-16-09 12:04 AM
    ILG, don't panic. Just slow down and follow the directions blackngray70 has laid out. Of course you ignore the part about downloading and installing .160 on you computer.

After you extract the .zip file you download, you will replace the entire OS folder. The downloaded folder contains everything you need except for the files/apps that were removed (directions are there to put them back if you want them).

Thanks so much for your patience. However, when I download the "zip" file, it's not even saving in .zip format.

This is becoming a bit frustrating and before I brick my berry, I'm just gonna live with the battery pulls, lost ringtones and backlight delays.

If push comes to shove, I'll just download VZWs "new" OS upgrade, because I am just really not understanding the instructions provided.

I'm sorry for being a pain. Thanks so much for your patience and help.
    08-16-09 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD