Well I bought a new BB curve 8900...and was checking out the phone to see the different features...I took a couple of pics and a video...then I took out the SD card to put it in my old BB pearl 8100..for some reason it didnt fit or maybe I was putting it in wrong..The cage wouldnt lock down the SD card..so I took it out of the pearl because it didnt work..then I put it in the 8900. the screen said media card inserted..but when ever I tried to use the video camera it said "to record a video, insert a formatted Media card".. then I went to settings to check out the memory..it said media card cannot be read. verify memory card has been formatted..so I clicked on options to fromat the card..but then it said format failed..now the card doesnt work...Can anyone help me??whats going on?
    09-28-09 03:21 AM
    Sounds like it's in wrong. Have you tried putting it in the computer to see if it reads it? Or...did you force it a little too much and damage it?
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-28-09 at 03:54 AM.
    09-28-09 03:51 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Assuming that the card is correctly inserted, and since the phone recpgnises an inserted card, it would seem that the microSD card may be faulty.

I realize that this is not the news you would wish for on a Monday morning so maybe we can do somce checks on the card.

For the 8900, the microSD card should be inserted so that the little plastic clip engages with a cut-out in the card. Please check that this is so.

If your card came with some kind of an adapter that allows you to read the card in a PC, then use this to see if the card is readable on your PC.

Try again to use the card in your 8100. The may be an issue with the 8100's ability to read a card of greater capacity that 2Gb. This is dependent on the OS that the 8100 is running. Here's a chart of which OS works with what card sizes:

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

If all else fails, try to find someone else's phone to pluge your card into. Also see if their card works in your phone.

After that, take the card back to the store and see if you can wangle a replacement under warranty.
    09-28-09 04:00 AM
    The card came with the 8900..it worked when I got it..its only been two days since then...then I tried it in my friends phone...it did the same thing...can I format the card using my pc??
    09-28-09 04:12 AM
    If you have found a way to connect your card to your PC then go the My Computer and right mouse click on the drive icon and select Format from the drop down list.

If you have been unable to format the card in your phone via Options, Memory, press Menu and then Format, I suspect that the card is non-fuctional.

That's the end of the bad news. The good news is that new cards are pretty cheap these days. I know that's not the fix you want but it may be the best you can get now.
    09-28-09 05:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD